Extreme copper fouling

I had a Savage that would foul like that, and was a nightmare to clean. After I got it spotless clean I broke down, and I can hear some cringing now, ordered the Tubbs coated bullets and followed his procedure. Then finished by applying Dyna-Tek Bore Coat. Now I can about remove fouling by just talking mean to it. LOL. it really made a huge difference. Not sure I'd do it on a custom.-hand lapped barrel.

Last edited:
I used Hoppes foaming bore cleaner, I run a patch and nylon brush to get the easy stuff and reapplied the foam until the bore was clean. It's a 6-pack project 12 if you let it soak more.

• Love
Reactions: BFD
Here is a bore pic from a friends 03 rifle that he swore was clean because he used Hoppes and was getting clean patches out of it. I asked that he bring it to me which he did and he was shocked. Here is the picture before I touched it
Yuck, I have not had any kind of poor results like that. I am not sworn to Hoppes, I used it for cleaning muzzleloaders and just stuck with it. Do you have a suggestion for another foam? I do always finish with G96 but there is rarely copper residue found. I should add that I rarely shoot more than 12 rounds before I clean so that may be part of it as well.

I'm not slamming Hoppes, it cleans as well as most things out there when it comes to powder fouling. There is hard packed carbon in bores that most folks dont know is there. Its packed in place by each round fired packing the carbon from the previous round. After testing dozens of bore cleaners and clp products I found NONE of them removed this hard packed carbon except those with abrasives. The best I found was Flitz liquid/bore cleaner, the green stuff. It performed best in my tests but still had a hard time getting out all of it. In the end I added Iosso bore paste to my flitz, 1/2 tube per 8oz bottle and it was a game changer for me. I've never had copper issues with Hammers. In fact I have to look very hard to see any copper and usually its a very faint transparent haze and comes out easily. Hope this helps.
I clean out the flitz with Seal 1 which is also one of the best rust preventatives I have found. Just wipe off when done.
Not trying to start a debate here, just stating what works best for me after spending hundreds of $ testing cleaners and lubes.
Understood, there is not a shortage of arguments about solvents I will try the Flitz next time I buy cleaner I respect the judgment of the people on this board.

Back