Frame pack

LightTheTower

Hammer Time Executive member
Does anyone out there have a frame pack/freighter pack they’d like to get rid of? I’m loathe to buy a new one…

Eberlestock f1 mainframe. Can get em under $200 bucks brand new. Add an existing bag with creativity or add a pair of batwings, a drybag or a new vapor bag of your choice.

Reality check, they’re $279-$329 now😬. Pretty sure I got mine and my sons for under $200 two years ago.

Sorry no help now that this is all typed up.😑

I was loathe to buy one when they cost half what they do now… I might try experimenting with a wood frame and rawhide lacing then throw on whatever dry bag or sack that I want.

I was loathe to buy one when they cost half what they do now… I might try experimenting with a wood frame and rawhide lacing then throw on whatever dry bag or sack that I want.
Sounds miserable.
Makes me think of Mexican drug mule backpacks. 🤷🏼‍♂️
1682095125245.jpeg

Here’s the f1 frame, still need Shoulder straps and waist belt though.

Last edited:
Here’s some pics of the evolution of mine. Started out with the Eberlestock dry bag and the small tan digital camo bag, then went to the gray military medium rucksack, built load lifters up higher, added a small pouch, now I’ve got the dry bag and Eberlestock batwings on mine and my sons.

Keep my things in the batwings and put meat in the dry bag. Or wet weather I can drop the batwings in the dry bag. Dry bag would double as a duffle for sleeping/cooking stuff for an overnighter.
7BC95800-2959-4F68-98B4-3947AB0EE00E.jpeg
CFBE8331-FB17-4806-9644-8E1C1518429E.jpeg0447E2F1-0B1C-4842-8404-FD29BC0A323B.jpegBB49F5EA-3D53-433C-B5D6-CBDF5EC1560C.jpeg876ED30F-63CE-4D43-9074-40A985C581A8.jpeg374F5DEA-A50C-466D-92A5-488F8B590932.jpeg5D74759C-1985-4B6E-98B5-AFFDDE2FAB3F.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: BFD
A good meat hauling pack is expensive but I think they are worth it. They last long enough I would just pony up and be done with it.

Probably the cheapest you can go would be a packboard frame pack like the F1 but for day hunting use I dont like external frames IMO. Depends on your hunt style and needs what type to get. Ive used 3 brands now but some of my hunts are backpacking in so Ive settled on the Kuiu Pro LT which does it all.

I’m hoping I’ll need a meat pack for my Idaho elk/deer hunt in September, but this might be the only mountain hunting I’ll ever get to do… I have an internal frame hiking pack that’s 4000 cu in that can handle 50 lbs pretty easily, but I’m sure IF I used it for meat packing it would be pretty bloody for the trip home. I was thinking of getting a Stansport Freighter.🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m hoping I’ll need a meat pack for my Idaho elk/deer hunt in September, but this might be the only mountain hunting I’ll ever get to do… I have an internal frame hiking pack that’s 4000 cu in that can handle 50 lbs pretty easily, but I’m sure IF I used it for meat packing it would be pretty bloody for the trip home. I was thinking of getting a Stansport Freighter.🤷🏻‍♂️
For what your needing and sounds like a 1 time use the Stansport Freighter should work. Note: Ive never used one but its a metal frame pack I dont see how it would break or not hold a good 80lbs of elk quarter.

I hunt Oregon backcountry elk every year for years... I once strapped an elk quarter to my frameless day hunting pack and it sucked. It was also a safety issue without trekking poles in the difficult steep terrain, I did slip and fall. It was a pain keeping the paracord wrapped around the meat as things shifted during the hike. The pack got blood soaked.

I bought an F1 frame after that. That thing will haul a fridge in comfort (ok not really but you get my point). I dont like the external frame and some of my hunts are backpacking in so I bought the Kuiu Pro LT, havent hauled an elk out with that yet but have hauled in a base camp in the meat shelf and it rode fine. We keep my F1 in the truck for the return trips packing out meat. Anyways short version is a pack frame to haul meat is invaluable on a successful elk hunt in mountain terrain. Get something.

Get the Stansport, load it up with at least 80lbs and walk around the house and you will find the pressure points and discomfort points if any exist to wrap a towel or foam or some kind of extra padding where needed. Lash some cheap trekking or old ski poles to the frame you will thank me if you end up hauling out a massive elk quarter.

Terrain dictates pack needs for me.

Hunt up hill from the truck and you really don’t need a pack frame. Can just use a sled for elk quarters or simply drag deer back down.

Hunt downhill from the truck and the frame becomes much more of a necessity. Especially in steep terrain.

I have also found that the frame comes in handy for rear gun rest in seated position shots on steep angled slopes.

I’ve done plenty of day hunts that required a pack frame to get the deer out. Going back to the truck or wherever to get a frame is out of the question here in California early season when overnight temps often don’t reach the 60s. Getting the meat out ASAP is crucial. For most western hunts that’s not an issue. But for me it is.

I’ve had cheap packs and internal frame day bags in the past and have blown off straps and ripped them to disrepair.
Even this low end f1 has been night and day for me. It’s progression has been from a combo of needs and available funds.

One option is you could buy the F1 new and then sell it on ebay (or somewhere) after your hunt. Ive done this with a few things I wanted to try out and the small loss in resale was worth the "rental fee".

The dry bag keeps blood off of everything else.
Just have to make sure to hang the quarters up (while quartering the animal)before loading them so the heat can dissipate some or don’t have the meat inside the dry bag for too long.

For what your needing and sounds like a 1 time use the Stansport Freighter should work. Note: Ive never used one but its a metal frame pack I dont see how it would break or not hold a good 80lbs of elk quarter.

I hunt Oregon backcountry elk every year for years... I once strapped an elk quarter to my frameless day hunting pack and it sucked. It was also a safety issue without trekking poles in the difficult steep terrain, I did slip and fall. It was a pain keeping the paracord wrapped around the meat as things shifted during the hike. The pack got blood soaked.

I bought an F1 frame after that. That thing will haul a fridge in comfort (ok not really but you get my point). I dont like the external frame and some of my hunts are backpacking in so I bought the Kuiu Pro LT, havent hauled an elk out with that yet but have hauled in a base camp in the meat shelf and it rode fine. We keep my F1 in the truck for the return trips packing out meat. Anyways short version is a pack frame to haul meat is invaluable on a successful elk hunt in mountain terrain. Get something.

Get the Stansport, load it up with at least 80lbs and walk around the house and you will find the pressure points and discomfort points if any exist to wrap a towel or foam or some kind of extra padding where needed. Lash some cheap trekking or old ski poles to the frame you will thank me if you end up hauling out a massive elk quarter.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve already got trekking poles and have been practicing shooting seated with a quick stix attachment.

The dry bag keeps blood off of everything else.
Just have to make sure to hang the quarters up (while quartering the animal)before loading them so the heat can dissipate some or don’t have the meat inside the dry bag for too long.
I thought about a dry bag… good advice there. Thanks.

Back