Greetings from Twodot , Mt

TD will.284

Greetings from Twodot,Mt does anyone have any suggestions for a starting bullet for a 300 prc I’m starting. I want to stay on the heavy side as I hunt in a bit of wind here in central Mt

Personally, I would look at the 182 HHT as the speed will also help fight the effects of wind. I fear your 214 may be to long for your magazine depending on seating depths. The 199 HH would be my second choice. This advice is coming from a guy that loved (Still does with cup and core bullets) pushing heavy bullets....but with these mono's, a balance of speed and weight is super important. Good luck and let us know how it all turns our regardless of what you decide.

Welcome from NE Alabama!
Before you make any final decisions, some reading is suggested. Hammers are very different from cup and core bullets.
Muddyboots will be along shortly, I'm sure, with some suggestions.
Look under Reloading.
Lots of bullet data and some good articles.
Most have gone to lighter and somewhat to a great deal faster in their choices🙂

I’ll buy several different weights for testing. I’ve got a good friend in Frenchtown , MT who’s running 245 Berger in his 24 inch carbon 300 prc I’ve personally seen his load data and it’s impressive but my gun will decide once I do barrel break in. I ve got 400 factory rounds so plenty of brass for now. I’ll probably go to ADG brass soon as well and a big pile of federal large rifle magum be primers

Gday Td will.284
Welcome from downunder
Another here for the lighter pill than the 214
Another cup&core junkie here a while ago now

Cheers

Welcome from south central Montana.

I shoot the hammer hunter 196 out of my 300 prc (ridge line) 1:8 twist.
Also a Bergera hmr 1:9.
Lapua brass
Have had good luck with retumbo , h1000 and staybal hd.
Through my el-cheapo Cardwell = 3150 FPS with no pressure.

Waiting for the new Caldwell to continue development.

P.s. I have also shot 230 a tips , 205 Berger’s, 212 eldx, 200 eldx. At 1000 the 230 a tips went through 1/4 inch steel. This surprised me.

Welcome from Central Florida. Speed kills. I went from 212 eldx's and 200 grain Sierra Game Kings to a Hammer 137 HH in my 300 rum.

I'm atried and true 137 fan, that being said, there's been some phenomenal work done with the 154 and 168hhts. I'd look hard at those two bullets for the conditions you'll be hunting in.

This place is awesome, glad to have you!!!

💥🚀🔨☠️

Back