Hammer Trails.

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
Did I hear they are washing Hammers? Do you still get the Hammer Trail? If not can we order them unwashed and still get it? Seems like it would be a selling point. I really enjoy watching my wife shoot and seeing that white streak go down range. Others at the range ask what we are shooting. I label my 20 round ammo boxes with Hammer stickers and always wear my Hammer Hat and shirt. My wife is a far better shot than most of the men at our range and they just watch in awe. Some even cheer when that streak goes right to the target.

Did I hear they are washing Hammers? Do you still get the Hammer Trail? If not can we order them unwashed and still get it? Seems like it would be a selling point. I really enjoy watching my wife shoot and seeing that white streak go down range. Others at the range ask what we are shooting. I label my 20 round ammo boxes with Hammer stickers and always wear my Hammer Hat and shirt. My wife is a far better shot than most of the men at our range and they just watch in awe. Some even cheer when that streak goes right to the target.
Barking up the wrong tree.

We all miss the hammer Trail. it's pretty neat when you pull an old box out and see it but since they started washing we no longer get the trail. maybe you can be the first to reintroduce something to the hollow point that doesn't affect accuracy but still produces a trail🤔👍

💥🚀🔨☠️

We all miss the hammer Trail. it's pretty neat when you pull an old box out and see it but since they started washing we no longer get the trail. maybe you can be the first to reintroduce something to the hollow point that doesn't affect accuracy but still produces a trail🤔👍

💥🚀🔨☠️
if I recall they used to use an organic oil?

The only time I got the Hammer Trail was at my gun club and the old timer RSO made me stop shooting to discuss my bullet coming apart. I had to repeat a few times I was using a monolithic and it still didnt sink in but I was able to get back to shooting. He was convinced I had the wrong twist rate with a jacketed bullet, just didnt want to believe in a "Hammer Trail". :p

Last edited:
if I recall they uses to use an organic oil?

The only time I got the Hammer Trail was at my gun club and the old timer RSO made me stop shooting to discuss my bullet coming apart. I had to repeat a few times I was using a monolithic and it still didnt sink in but I was able to get back to shooting. He was convinced I had the wrong twist rate with a jacketed bullet, just didnt want to believe in a "Hammer Trail". :p

Haha, that's funny.

You'd think a trip (or two) to the target would settle it, but some are indeed stuck in their ways...

I'll wager that a syringe 💉 of mineral oil and a drop or two 💧💧 in the hollow point might get the trail to re-appear.

This news is kind of sad......It was super cool watching the hammer trail. I need to mark my 338 260 grain boxes so I know which ones will throw a trail and which ones will not. I will use the vapor trail for special occasions....like shooting big bears and moose.

Not sure if it was ever determined exactly what/which things best produced the "hammer trail". Atmospherics certainly contribute, the oil may have also (now washed), and the disturbance (air flow disruption) caused by the PDR bands around the bullet in flight.
Some of the new HHTs do not have the multiple PDR bands to minimize air disturbance/supposedly enhance BC?

Last I recall it was the machine oil used. I dont recall hearing the Hammer Trail was consistent, as in every shot. So to me it would have depended on the amount of oil left over which would be highly variable. Atmospherics would play Im guessing... so with oil being pneumatically pressed out of the hollowpoint on the right day a Hammer Trail follows.

thats my best guess. In short, it was the oil left over in the hollowpoint.

My washed Hammer Hunters didn't get the memo. Sometime I think I'm shooting a black powder gun when it's humid. 120HH at 3100fps anyway.

It has nothing to do with oil. Like Meatbuck said and GL alluded. The Hammer trail has to be atmospheric.

The vapor trail is caused by a drop in pressure behind the bullet which causes water in the air to condense momentarily, similar to those little white streaks at the tip of a jet's wing. To view bullet trace, you simply need to have the right combination of environmental factors and be generally behind the shooter.

Haha, that's funny.

You'd think a trip (or two) to the target would settle it, but some are indeed stuck in their ways...

I'll wager that a syringe 💉 of mineral oil and a drop or two 💧💧 in the hollow point might get the trail to re-appear.
You know I'll have to try that now
BUT.... how about food color dye? Different color for different cartridges? Glow colors for low light? Sparkles for lasting effect? OK, please no Barbie pink....🤣😱🤔
Power Hammers or Shock Hammers would hold more glitter than Hunters would.

I did have an epiphany about Hammer hunters on a two way range. Remembering the maxim that tracers can be seen from both directions...

Rolling so mental deep this morning...

I agree all bullets leave a trail but they are seldom seen by the naked eye. You can usually but not always see them through a spotting scope. The old Hammer bullets with residual oil seemed to be something else entirely where everyone watching you shoot would easily see them. I also had more than a few good videos of them before my phone crashed.

So I couldn't stand it and decided to perform a little test. I have an old box of 151 Hammer with oil and a new box without. Now with the old ones it seemed like most of the oil was in the bottom of the box but I decided to try it anyway. First video is new hammers without oil, second is old hammers with. No great video but see if y'all think there's a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.MOV
    17.4 MB
  • IMG_0317.MOV
    15 MB
Last edited:
Back