How much freebore for Hammers?

Sitting on stand wondering different powder, bullet or even primer kicks off another round of ladders. What I find interesting is the learning curve you generate in this process especially powder burn rates, crimp pressure, COAL to jump, CBTO relationship, AH vs HH vs HHT and so on. This is where keeping good load data records helps a lot. Sometimes powder burn position rate doesn't mean SQUAT on some bullet powder combo's. Throw in high pressure cartridges versus std pressure cartridges and it's an interesting decision process.

@joe16 has been beating drum on moly try which is another wild card to try.

Oh Koda, only 1 maybe 2....

I wish I had your self control!
😲
I totally see the hobby in this. For my handloads I always have at least two other Hammers I wonder how they will do or if I can do better...
Right now I need a hunting load. In the future I could see myself exploring fine tuning of loads or other bullet options maybe as I learn more about longer range shooting. I know I gotta have the time to practice shooting before I can realistically decide on trying something different. Wish I had got into handloading 30 years ago, but Im excited to have landed on Hammers without bias.

I totally see the hobby in this. For my handloads I always have at least two other Hammers I wonder how they will do or if I can do better...
Right now I need a hunting load. In the future I could see myself exploring fine tuning of loads or other bullet options maybe as I learn more about longer range shooting. I know I gotta have the time to practice shooting before I can realistically decide on trying something different. Wish I had got into handloading 30 years ago, but Im excited to have landed on Hammers without bias.
Same!

Dropping it off tomorrow, free of charge.
Ive never had a custom rifle built before so if there is any last words of caution or advice Im all ears. Gonna ask for the optimal freebore for the 127gn HHT.

Left is current freebore with .040" jump to lands with a max saami coal, right is what I think it optimal and will bring that dummy round with me to give to him. Noticable difference in case volume,, less pressure and more velocity on the right.

View attachment 4366
So, which one are you going to have the freebore made for?

So, which one are you going to have the freebore made for?
The one on the right, in the last pic i posted.
I should probably say optimal for seating depth.

I dropped it off with him yesterday so now just waiting.

• Love
Reactions: BFD
The one on the right, in the last pic i posted.
I should probably say optimal for seating depth.

I dropped it off with him yesterday so now just waiting
Awesome! Hammers bringing the 25-06 into play like a Boss!

I’m contemplating a 708 custom reamer that will allow a longer seating too.

Awesome! Hammers bringing the 25-06 into play like a Boss!

I’m contemplating a 708 custom reamer that will allow a longer seating too.
Im super excited about this project and to get the rifle back into hunting action. Im very curious what the long high BC 127gn bullet will do, Im hoping I can get at least 3000fps from it we will see.

This is my first custom rifle, im out on a limb here as Im learning what I needed to ask for as I go but so far everything lines up. Lots of confirmation from members here in this forum really helps.

Reactions: BFD
Koda

Years ago, my first build was a 25-06. I'm looking forward to the picture of your first Bang Flop.

Joe

Koda

Years ago, my first build was a 25-06. I'm looking forward to the picture of your first Bang Flop.

Joe
the 25-06 is legendary, my hunting skills not so much. Im looking forward to my next bang flop too but Ive got a lot of work to improve on getting one in the scope.

I believe there's some data for a 25/284 and long bullets posted. They're 1st cousins ballistically
super useful.... as starting point is my next subject to research. Im not familiar with the 25-284 so would have never thought to compare data. I've been concerned where to start at with the heavys in the 25-06... needeless to say when I get the rifle back I will probably be asking in the forum here.
I also look forward to sharing load data, perhaps will be the first for the 127gn weight class in the 25-06.

Back