I should own a magnum. Or not?

KING358

The past year or so I've been thinking I should own a "magnum" rifle cartridge. I love playing around with new cartridges and have a decent collection. But nothing bigger than a 30-06. I keep looking into different magnum sized cartridges, specifically short actions. I never can seem to talk myself into one though.

The latest cartridge I was looking into was the 270 WSM or maybe the 6.8 Western. I liked what I was reading until I started actually crunching the numbers. I hunt mostly whitetail and would realistically never shoot a deer beyond 400 yards.

I compared the .277 124 gr. HHT at 3300 FPS (velocity came from this forum) with my .250 Savage A.I. which shoots the .257 95 gr. HHT at 3350 FPS. Velocity, drop, windage are all so close out to 500 yards.

Screenshot_20231103-172641~2.png

The .277 has some more frontal area, and is a little heavier, but still I expected a larger gap on exterior performance between the modest 250 Savage AI and the 270 WSM.

These speed/energy freaks around here have corrupted me too.
A few months back I found a lone ARC Nucleus on sale for a song. Short action with a magnum bolt head. Bought because it was a good deal and thinking I could get a .473 bolt face for it. Unobtanium the moment, so what the heck. Going to build a short action magnum. Wanting an easy button, the only brass available was 6.5 PRC, so I had BFD send me a hundred with dies.
Now 300WSM brass is availability. Ugh!!!!
To make matters even worse (better?), I found a Tikka magnum bolt the other night while sitting a in a hotel room on a work trip. (Note to self: work trips are bad!!!)
Needless to say, I ordered it and am planning a 300WM build after the 6.5 (ahem!) 26/4 PRC build.
So if you want to be a rifle junky in need of rehab/12-step program, do it! And own them all! We need more company!!!
🤪

I've said it, and I'll say it again, defend with a dull spoon and a stick...300WSM is the perfect magnum cartridge for the lighter hammers in a hunting gun. It only fell behind the 300WM in the cup/core heavy bullets. The heavy bullets was a thing for a long time as well all know. The poor 300WSM got put on the bench. Enter hammers and the lighter weight, shorter throat (ish) makes it a humdinger. The 300WSM "riding pine" (put on the bench) made the brass availability terrible now to use them with humdinger Hammers.

Considering a hunting gun gets shot for zero check and a couple-few rounds for hunting, one could justify the $4-5 per loaded round.
I run 300WM because as stated the brass availability and the fact I shoot WAY more than I hunt. I love hunting, but I love shooting much more, so to keep things reasonable I need the less than a dollar a piece of brass pricing. I get that with PRVI-Partizan brass. Load heavy for LR shooting, load light Hammers for hunting. Boom.

I agree 100% with BFD! I love this place! I just added a 300WSM to my stable. For now the final tweak is going to be done today. I bought a TRACT scope on sale, but it is too heavy for the goals I have for a light weight mountain rifle. So, I have a nice Leupold on my 22, and for now I'm going to put that on the 300WSM. My Xterra is back in the shop, so my hunting is really screwed up right now. Back to topic.

To answer the question: Yes you need a magnum! Yes, the 300WSM is a nice choice. I had no trouble finding brass. The 300WSM is based off the 404 Jeffey, so is the 300RUM. I have both. Oh just to keep with the theme, I also have a 30/06 AI and a 308. After looking hard and long, I was convinced that a 300WSM was a nice rifle to add to the stable. Don't think anyone really needs a magnum, but they sure are fun! My goal with the 300WSM is to have a gun ready to hunt at around 7.5 pounds. I'm impressed with the Savage 110 Ultralight, and it is hard to beat the price. That all said, the 300RUM gives you the most versatility. You don't always have to load it balls to the walls. For plinking, I love my 308.

I think the 300 WSM is just perfect for the 124-150 class Hammers. My goal is around 3600fps with the 151 AH.

Gday king358

Nice write ups above here’s m2cw

it’s way easier if you don’t start the itch as that has a habit of becoming a full on rash lol

In all reality what a 30-06 can’t do ( this size case ) can’t be done a lot better with even the rums which are my favourite

on the whole
What a magnum offers is

reduces time of flight & Keeps us in the higher brackets for longer
Oh & splat factor 😜

That’s it

Down side
cost more to run & increased recoil

Those can be reduced no doubt

But all in all I wouldn’t be without a rum even though I’m hard pressed to take a shot passed 400 these days as they are a very good killing machine & my own personal taste

once again beware it is contagious 😇
But more than happy to welcome another to the speed demon club

Cheers

I own two 300wsm rifles and I’m looking at buying a third…..need I say more??

154 HHT at 3100 fps is a killing machine to well past the range you said you are likely to never exceed. It also kills at short range…:but without a ton of meat damage. My big bear this year was shot at 70 yards and performance was perfect.

Last edited:
The solution is simple..............if you only hunt in North America you only need a 30-06 (okay, or a .270, Jack taught me that). I you hunt in countries with large dangerous thick skinned critters get a 375 H&H. With these two rifles, a shotgun and a 22LR you can accomplish any hunting on the planet. These are the things you "need"

Now, and most importantly............what do you WANT???

The "I want" factor can't be ignored. I love the 30-06 and have WAY too many of them, however I can't tell you how exactly how many other rifles in other calibers I have, and to be honest, most are magnums.:unsure: (More importantly, my bride can't tell how many either.)

If you "want" a magnum zoomie, you have come to the right place. Lot's and lot's of folks here will be happy to help you with that. Options are limited only by your imagination. :)

Looking forward to what you decide on. We all know you're going magum. :giggle:

Regards

The solution is simple..............if you only hunt in North America you only need a 30-06 (okay, or a .270, Jack taught me that). I you hunt in countries with large dangerous thick skinned critters get a 375 H&H. With these two rifles, a shotgun and a 22LR you can accomplish any hunting on the planet. These are the things you "need"

Now, and most importantly............what do you WANT???

The "I want" factor can't be ignored. I love the 30-06 and have WAY too many of them, however I can't tell you how exactly how many other rifles in other calibers I have, and to be honest, most are magnums.:unsure: (More importantly, my bride can't tell how many either.)

If you "want" a magnum zoomie, you have come to the right place. Lot's and lot's of folks here will be happy to help you with that. Options are limited only by your imagination. :)

Looking forward to what you decide on. We all know you're going magum. :giggle:

Regards
Mountainman ---YOU ARE SO SPOT ON! My last want was a tweener to bridge the gap between 30/06 and the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. (I have both.) It had to be a lightweight and a short action. Lightweight being the major consideration. The 300 WSM stood out as my best option. Just look at how many 30 Cal cartridges are out there! It is amazing how many "wants" have been developed just in that caliber. My suggestion is to figure out your perimeters, and see what falls out. As Mountainman said, "We all know you're going magnum." It is a matter of which one!

Back