I've got a bone to pick with Hammer's...

jrebel

Hammer Time Executive member
I'm not one to complain.....but this has really got me bothered. I've finally figure out a negative, Con if you will... as it pertains to Hammer Bullets. It's kind of a big deal and may sway whether or not I continue to use Hammers....that's yet to be decided. Here is a little back story before I just LAY IT ON THE LINE!!

Prior to Hammer Bullets entering my life, I loaded cup and core bullets. They were accurate and killed very well. Best of all, the cup and core bullets occupied a lot of my time as it pertains to fine tuning them. A new rifle would occupy my time for 3-6 months to really get a load shooting superb. The ladder test to look for node, then three shot groups with the nodes, next was playing with seating depth.....all this to just decide you like a different powder and had to repeat all those steps over. With a good rifle (and a lot of luck), I would work the perfect load in 50-60 rounds. On a stubborn rifle that could easily reach 100 rounds. It kept me occupied in the reloading room, which ultimately kept me away from the wife for hours on end.

Now fast forward to my "Bone to pick." I am spending far less time on my load work up. Typically less than 15 rounds to be shooting sub MOA (often 1/2 MOA). This had led to more time with the wife and the need to purchase more rifles..... She really doesn't understand the need for either. I'm pretty sure the time spent in the reloading room is what has lead to 25 years of happy marriage. I know for a fact the increase financial burden of needing to buy rifles more often (so I can support my reloading obsession) has caused a strain on the marriage.

I'm really torn.....stay with hammers and grow the collections of rifles??? Or go back to cup and core in an effort to salvage the marriage????

What advice would my fellow hammer heads have for this real life problem?????

The wife owns quite a few firearms. She never shoots them, so I take them out of the safe every once in a while to stretch their legs. She doesn't know how lucky she is to have a guy like me!! She could be married to some guy that likes traveling to tropical islands to sip umbrella drinks on pristine sand beaches. I even invited her to moose camp for our 25th anniversary.....She said no!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

On a serious note.....and the root of the original post!!

I have loaded two different rifles today (6.5 creed /80 grain HHT and 6.5 PRC / 125 grain HHT) Both 7 shot ladder / pressure test. Both shot sub MOA with the ladders. Tomorrow I go to confirm at 200 and 300 yards on the 6.5 creed. I suspect the load is done and it is just time to have fun. In the past....it was never this easy.

MAN I LOVE HAMMERS!!!

My wife is very understanding of my hobbies.....and would rather me buy rifles than hookers.

That’s why a guy needs more rifles…..!! That country song “well I’me gonna miss her…..hey lookie theirrrrr I’ve got bite (another gun)…. ) comes to mind. 😂
If you just load every Hammer option for every rifle on hand, we can keep you busy in the reloading room a bit longer. Then buy the next rifle. I'm pretty sure your wife appreciates me!

I'm not one to complain.....but this has really got me bothered. I've finally figure out a negative, Con if you will... as it pertains to Hammer Bullets. It's kind of a big deal and may sway whether or not I continue to use Hammers....that's yet to be decided. Here is a little back story before I just LAY IT ON THE LINE!!

Prior to Hammer Bullets entering my life, I loaded cup and core bullets. They were accurate and killed very well. Best of all, the cup and core bullets occupied a lot of my time as it pertains to fine tuning them. A new rifle would occupy my time for 3-6 months to really get a load shooting superb. The ladder test to look for node, then three shot groups with the nodes, next was playing with seating depth.....all this to just decide you like a different powder and had to repeat all those steps over. With a good rifle (and a lot of luck), I would work the perfect load in 50-60 rounds. On a stubborn rifle that could easily reach 100 rounds. It kept me occupied in the reloading room, which ultimately kept me away from the wife for hours on end.

Now fast forward to my "Bone to pick." I am spending far less time on my load work up. Typically less than 15 rounds to be shooting sub MOA (often 1/2 MOA). This had led to more time with the wife and the need to purchase more rifles..... She really doesn't understand the need for either. I'm pretty sure the time spent in the reloading room is what has lead to 25 years of happy marriage. I know for a fact the increase financial burden of needing to buy rifles more often (so I can support my reloading obsession) has caused a strain on the marriage.

I'm really torn.....stay with hammers and grow the collebit the bullet so to speak and bought her a Tikka T3ctions of rifles??? Or go back to cup and core in an effort to salvage the marriage????

I bit the bullet so to speak and bought her a Tikka T3. She shoots it better than most men and wants me to buy more Hammers to load in it. Worked out well for me. I taught her to reload and her first bullets she loaded herself we took to the range, She put 5 into a group I just had to measure. It was .452 ctc. Not bad for the first time reloading. I think I'll keep her. BTW 85 HH over 43.5 Varget seated to 2.645 oal 6.5 CM

I'm really torn.....stay with hammers and grow the collections of rifles??? Or go back to cup and core in an effort to salvage the marriage????

The real bone to pick IMO is when you shoot Hammers in "shot out" barrel and goes 1/2 MOA. There goes the excitement of building new rifle off the platform cause you don't want to screw up a good shooting rifle! Oh wait, just bought a new rifle instead! So anyway, what was I talking about?

Back