Light Fast and Heavy Fast

Personally, I wouldn't go with at 300 RUM without some kind of recoil suppression. I've been there and it is not a pleasant or fun place. So ButterBean, how do you put in the Dead Mule? If I remember right they are normally used in a shotgun. One of the guys I hunted with in Montana had a 338-378 Weatherby. I got to shoot it a few times. It was a good solid push compared to my 300 RUM's painful wack without a brake. He had a brake. I have a Vais Brake on my new to me 300 RUM. I am very happy with the recoil reduction. It really takes the bite out.

Good greif, all this hinting and here I am intentionally NOT finish up my new 300 SAUM so I can jump on the new bullet line when they come out...

But I'll keep waiting (im)patiently ;)
I hear ya. I’m anxiously awaiting and hoping for a prototype in 338 caliber for a 338 RUM I’m building. Is the prototype testing almost completed?

22 years of no brake. mtmuley
I'll trade you my right shoulder for yours! Even throw in some RL26......😂

I cannot see how I could shoot without brake cause my shoulder is completely gone. Rotators shredded so no repair possible. Lucky I can shoot even the 300WM though limited bench work.

A RUM with a good brake opens up option so I could consider shooting it. Heck on last legs shooting bow. Xbow next but not until no longer able to pull back even 50#.

Dumb question, but did the velocity brackets make it over to the new forum? They’re probably staring me in the face and I haven’t noticed yet.

Also relatively new to reloading. In fact, the first hammers I ordered included a sample pack of 150SH…for a 7mm-08. Needless to say, I never loaded those, but I did load the 136SH with excellent results.
This year my intention is to harvest at least one deer with the 120HH in a 7x57 I just finished. Honestly, though, I am still wrapping my head around the idea, as the only small monolithic hollow point harvest I have had was with the 101 blackout in a 300 HAM’R. It performed well (ie, bang flop), but differently than any other pill with which I had harvested a deer before. There was no blood, which might have been a one off. I’ll try again with that pill, either in the HAM’R or maybe a 308win.
The shock hammer kills have been more similar to the cup & core kills in the past, except maybe even more devastating. I’m told I’ll be pleased with the HH’s as well.

To echo Butterbean, I, too, love this place. Thanks to all for sharing knowledge…and for lightening my wallet! (Looking at you, BFD!)
🤪

Personally, I wouldn't go with at 300 RUM without some kind of recoil suppression. I've been there and it is not a pleasant or fun place. So ButterBean, how do you put in the Dead Mule? If I remember right they are normally used in a shotgun. One of the guys I hunted with in Montana had a 338-378 Weatherby. I got to shoot it a few times. It was a good solid push compared to my 300 RUM's painful wack without a brake. He had a brake. I have a Vais Brake on my new to me 300 RUM. I am very happy with the recoil reduction. It really takes the bite out.
You just drill a hole in the Butt Stock ad drive it in, EZPZ

Dumb question, but did the velocity brackets make it over to the new forum? They’re probably staring me in the face and I haven’t noticed yet.

Also relatively new to reloading. In fact, the first hammers I ordered included a sample pack of 150SH…for a 7mm-08. Needless to say, I never loaded those, but I did load the 136SH with excellent results.
This year my intention is to harvest at least one deer with the 120HH in a 7x57 I just finished. Honestly, though, I am still wrapping my head around the idea, as the only small monolithic hollow point harvest I have had was with the 101 blackout in a 300 HAM’R. It performed well (ie, bang flop), but differently than any other pill with which I had harvested a deer before. There was no blood, which might have been a one off. I’ll try again with that pill, either in the HAM’R or maybe a 308win.
The shock hammer kills have been more similar to the cup & core kills in the past, except maybe even more devastating. I’m told I’ll be pleased with the HH’s as well.

To echo Butterbean, I, too, love this place. Thanks to all for sharing knowledge…and for lightening my wallet! (Looking at you, BFD!)
🤪
Aratliff,
The velocity brackets are imbedded in several discussions. Probably the easiest to find is in a pinned post under Reloading. It's called How to select a Hammer bullet, or something like that.
G

🤪
Here you go:

The break that I purchased from Steve I put on my 375 rum. 137s at 39+. It is by far the least recoiling rifle that I own at this time.Under 10 lbs. Wellllll, my 375 Ruger (12. 5 lbs) wears a vais muzzle brake along with a dead mule in the stock and it really doesn't move😎🤷

Just finished reading this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents. My recently built 28 Nosler is shooting above it's pay grade I believe with 169 Hammer Hunters, 26" Bartlein 1:8 twist. Velocity is nearly unbelievable, in fact I've checked it with 2 different chronographs. 3520 fps average using a LOT of Ramshot LRT. Granted, I'm right on the edge of pressure and in fact have occasional bolt click. Unfortunately when I try to back it down the groups open up so I reckon I'm on the bottom edge of an accuracy node. On top of that I've shot the best group of my life with this combination. I've killed 4 Aoudad ewes with this rifle to date. All were high shoulder shots at ranges from 200 to a little over 600 and all were immediately on the ground. Three feet straight down......no tracking :)

Back