Magneto Speed V3

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
@aratliff - This "prince of a fellow" lent me his magneto speed to try. Here are my likes and dislikes:

- No light pollution. Could shoot in the dark if you wanted
- As long as the unit is 1/8-1/4" under the bore, there is no worry of shooting a chrono placed in front
- Sweet little display screen sitting right next to me
- No more worry of being directly lined up with a forward mounted unit.
- Hasn't negatively impacted my group sizes. In fact I'm drilling some good ones. I will need to test for POI change.

Dislikes:
- I can't keep the unit from sliding on the barrel regardless how tight I get the strap. Not a big deal, but I have to put it back into position every 10 shots.
- Switching the unit between rifles and figuring out the spacers isn't terrible, but it is of note.
- Not compatible with all rifle setups. For example, I have a 308 rig that has a spigot mount that prevents me from mounting to that gun in particular.

Would I buy one? Heck yeah. It's a sweet tool for the shooter!

Did you use the knob below to tighten? I’ve had no issues with it moving.
I did. All the way flush to metal. I did only use on smooth bead blasted stainless barrels. Maybe the grit of chrome moly or any other surface would keep it in place.

@BFD 2.0
I agree with your assessment of the magneto speed. I too see the magneto speed slip on the barrel at times. I don’t think I have as big of an issue as you did but it does move at times. Overall it’s a great tool and I wouldn’t purchase anything else over it.

It does change point of impact for me. Generally groups impact high with it on. It doesn’t seem to influence overall group size but I do take it off to finalize load development and sight in.

I had a unique experience with hitting the bayonet. I’m glad you made this post as I was busy when it happened and didn’t take time to post for other’s benefit.

I was developing a load for the 338rum and hit the bayonet with the second or third shot. See pics below. This rifle has a directional break. The break had come loose and turned almost 90 degrees, venting the gases down towards the bayonet. I can only assume the gasses pushed the bayonet downward and the spring back moved it up into the bullets path. As you can see, it was impeccable timing. 😂

IMG_2477.jpegIMG_2475.jpegIMG_2476.jpeg

I now check break tightness even more than I did before.
Kneedeep

I pretty much knew what would happen, but with this being on loan I'm glad I got to see it in somebody else's picture! ;)

Serioulsy, @kneedeep - that is a crying shame...

Labradar is still not out of the question.

@aratliff - This "prince of a fellow" lent me his magneto speed to try. Here are my likes and dislikes:

- No light pollution. Could shoot in the dark if you wanted
- As long as the unit is 1/8-1/4" under the bore, there is no worry of shooting a chrono placed in front
- Sweet little display screen sitting right next to me
- No more worry of being directly lined up with a forward mounted unit.
- Hasn't negatively impacted my group sizes. In fact I'm drilling some good ones. I will need to test for POI change.

Dislikes:
- I can't keep the unit from sliding on the barrel regardless how tight I get the strap. Not a big deal, but I have to put it back into position every 10 shots.
- Switching the unit between rifles and figuring out the spacers isn't terrible, but it is of note.
- Not compatible with all rifle setups. For example, I have a 308 rig that has a spigot mount that prevents me from mounting to that gun in particular.

Would I buy one? Heck yeah. It's a sweet tool for the shooter!
I agree with this. Its been a very convenient chrono for use at my range where setting up my optical chrono is very frustrating to other members.

that said, mine does impact grouping so it can only be used for initial pressure ladder tests. Thats a very severe limitation to a chronograph IMO. With my optical I can come back to both zero on my node and record a larger sample of velocities to find what my ES is. I cant do that with a Magneto attached. Ive heard of others getting no change in groups with the magneto attached but I suspect this is not repeatable.....

As far as the Magneto walking off the barrel, use one of the spare rubber gaskets on the top of the barrel for added friction.

grouping test with magneto attached.
1682787302783.png

Out of curiosity. Did you have the rubber in place that goes in between the strap and the barrel? I have shot mine on some pretty heavy recoiling rifles and never had it move.

I love both the magneto v3 and labradar. Places for both in my reloading room.

@jrebel beat me to the question..

I use mine during pressure test/search along with my cheap Caldwell optical as a backup. Then when I switch over to grouping/zero, I just use tHe optical. I find the Magnetospeed to be more reliable and consistent as it’s not impacted by light conditions.

I’ve seen other mounting options available for them that attach to a pic rail opposed to direct to the barrel. I’d like to find one that attaches to a sling stud and then extends out under the barrel.

You’re making me blush, Brad!

Good to know about the other bayonets, @kneedeep. That said, $200 is half of what I paid for that…and I got the larger one that would fit over a can.

I, too, got frustrated with the bayonet moving. Will try some of these suggestions next time shoot with it.

@littlebighorn is still owed a Chrono test under a small awning, so the un-shot Chrono will get pulled out soon…as in, hopefully tomorrow afternoon, as I have some ladders that need tested!

Last edited:
Another goof up here.
Didn't check tightness, radial brake moved bayonet while shooting. Whacked the bayo, broke it to pieces. Bayo yanked my readout monitor off the bench, hit concrete and broke. Replaced both bayonet and readout monitor.
Not one of my more stellar performances 🤫
Still love them and got another.
(A little bit out bounds for warranty replacement 🥴)

Out of curiosity. Did you have the rubber in place that goes in between the strap and the barrel? I have shot mine on some pretty heavy recoiling rifles and never had it move.

I love both the magneto v3 and labradar. Places for both in my reloading room.
I didn't know/think about that. I bet that will fix the movement.

You’re making me blush, Brad!

Good to know about the other bayonets, @kneedeep. That said, $200 is half of what I paid for that…and I got the larger one that would fit over a can.

I, too, got frustrated with the bayonet moving. Will try some of these suggestions next time shoot with it.

@littlebighorn is still owed a Chrono test under a small awning, so the un-shot Chrono will get pulled out soon…as in, hopefully tomorrow afternoon, as I have some ladders that need tested!
I'd totally forgotten your generous commitment aratliff. No big hurry. My swift is out of commission for a couple weeks so I won't be shooting for a bit. My Chrony worked great on an overcast shooting day catching every shot.

@littlebighorn, this is the first thread I found where this was mentioned, although it know it was not the first mention of it. At any rate…

I finally got my sorry posterior in gear today. Boss lady didn’t mind me shooting on her day, so I finished load development for a buddy and his boy, and did some tinkering with the Magspeed and Chrono.

After getting everything set up and aligned properly, the chrono performed flawlessly under the awning.
As for the magspeed, I learned that it is critical set the distance between the sensor and the bore line. I had it about 1/8” too much distance and the magspeed did not register a few shots. After taking the time to adjust the spacers, it worked well.
There was a slight variance between the two, but nothing that concerns me for the tests I was performing today. Maybe I’ll get more anal as I get more better [sic] at reloading and shooting. 🤪

Hope this helps in some small way.

Alan

IMG_2539.jpeg

Nice job Alan!
I'm fixing Mothers Day dinner for my wife, daughters and daughter in law as we speak. I just had to sit down for a minute to rest before I head out to put the steaks on for the ladies. (men and kids get hamburgers and hotdogs on Mothers Day at my house.)

It looks like I need to invest in a shade awning for my Chrony shooting. It was cloudy yesterday when I shot my Swift but the Chrony always works in those conditions. Your test would suggest that the awning is a fix for sunny shooting days over the Chrony.

aratliff you are one reliable dude to follow through with your commitment to test that out and then report back. I have great respect for those who keep commitments, especially those they make online with a stranger. You are certainly welcome to share my campfire any time.
Thanks,
Rick

The sentiment is mutual, Good Sir! This place is the epitome of what the rest of the internet should be. My hat is off to everyone who makes this place an excellent venue to learn, encourage, rib, share reasons to deplete checking accounts, and have fraternal (not aware of any ladies are here, but if so, you’re welcome, too—as long as you don’t try to emasculate the place!) cyber fun.

On that note, I still owe several a side-x-side, grain-for-grain comparison of Varget vs SWP. I hope to get to that soon, but it might not be this week. Life and stuff, ya know. I plan to use some 135gn Sierra HP varmints and 168SMKs for that experiment.

Cheers!

There was a slight variance between the two, but nothing that concerns me for the tests I was performing today. Maybe I’ll get more anal as I get more better [sic] at reloading and shooting. 🤪
I did this same test last summer and can confirm the same results, the variance was too slight. I mostly suspicious of my Caldwell chrono but with it so close the the Magneto Ive been using it more lately so I can also shoot for groups.

I run the Wiser precision mount with mine. I picked up a $10 picatinny rail that mounts to a swivel stud for the rifles without a rail. So far so good.

Back