Magneto Speed V3

Probably a bit of thread hijacking but briefly what are the differences between the Magneto V3 and the Magneto Sporter?

How dare you hijack a thread! 🤣
If memory serves, the difference is in the diameter of barrel/muzzle device around which the unit will mount and accurately measure muzzle velocity.

In short, the V3 will fit on suppressors; the Sporter will not.

If there are other differences, I do not remember.

How dare you hijack a thread! 🤣
If memory serves, the difference is in the diameter of barrel/muzzle device around which the unit will mount and accurately measure muzzle velocity.

In short, the V3 will fit on suppressors; the Sporter will not.

If there are other differences, I do not remember.
You can get different blocks to change the angle of the dangle too.

I wondered what would happen if the bullet met the magneto speed.
I shot the tip off of mine, totally my fault as I tried to hurry before a thunderstorm hit. Wondered why I was off the paper? Fired again and just caught the edge of the paper, Then looked at the speed and it said BAYO. Hammers 1 Magneto 0

I shot the tip off of mine, totally my fault as I tried to hurry before a thunderstorm hit. Wondered why I was off the paper? Fired again and just caught the edge of the paper, Then looked at the speed and it said BAYO. Hammers 1 Magneto 0
That should be Hammers 1, Bayonet 0, Magnetospeed $139 for a new bayonet

@aratliff - This "prince of a fellow" lent me his magneto speed to try. Here are my likes and dislikes:

- No light pollution. Could shoot in the dark if you wanted
- As long as the unit is 1/8-1/4" under the bore, there is no worry of shooting a chrono placed in front
- Sweet little display screen sitting right next to me
- No more worry of being directly lined up with a forward mounted unit.
- Hasn't negatively impacted my group sizes. In fact I'm drilling some good ones. I will need to test for POI change.

Dislikes:
- I can't keep the unit from sliding on the barrel regardless how tight I get the strap. Not a big deal, but I have to put it back into position every 10 shots.
- Switching the unit between rifles and figuring out the spacers isn't terrible, but it is of note.
- Not compatible with all rifle setups. For example, I have a 308 rig that has a spigot mount that prevents me from mounting to that gun in particular.

Would I buy one? Heck yeah. It's a sweet tool for the shooter!
I have found that if you loosen the thumb screw all the way out then crank the strap down as much as you can you can then tighten up the strap pretty good with the thumbscrew.

Haven't tried the extra spacer on top of the barrel but that sounds like a good idea.

@aratliff - This "prince of a fellow" lent me his magneto speed to try. Here are my likes and dislikes:

- No light pollution. Could shoot in the dark if you wanted
- As long as the unit is 1/8-1/4" under the bore, there is no worry of shooting a chrono placed in front
- Sweet little display screen sitting right next to me
- No more worry of being directly lined up with a forward mounted unit.
- Hasn't negatively impacted my group sizes. In fact I'm drilling some good ones. I will need to test for POI change.

Dislikes:
- I can't keep the unit from sliding on the barrel regardless how tight I get the strap. Not a big deal, but I have to put it back into position every 10 shots.
- Switching the unit between rifles and figuring out the spacers isn't terrible, but it is of note.
- Not compatible with all rifle setups. For example, I have a 308 rig that has a spigot mount that prevents me from mounting to that gun in particular.

Would I buy one? Heck yeah. It's a sweet tool for the shooter!
Looking at purchasing Magneto Speed unit is worth buying the V3 version if I am I am only going us it on rifle?

The weak link is the lack of friction between the barrel and the nylon strap. Dilute some silicone calking with paint thinner, and apply it to the strap where it contacts the barrel. Problem solved

The weak link is the lack of friction between the barrel and the nylon strap. Dilute some silicone calking with paint thinner, and apply it to the strap where it contacts the barrel. Problem solved
Genius idea, sir! May have to make that a winter project.

My magneto speed v3 came came with a rubber piece for the barrel. If you don’t use the rubber under the strap, the magneto speed will move. With the rubber it is solid as a rock.

Back