Most Common Hammer for short actioned 300 WSM Users?

Well...seems I was able to find some old Speer 180 Mag Tips. I'm bidding on them and if I win ( I'm pretty sure I will, youngsters don't know what they are, ha) I will play with them until this summer. I will try the Hammers when its more fun to be at the range than now! Brrr. I might also try out the Speer 165 BT which would be a great deer/antelope/coyote round. Right now, my real priority is tweaking my 338/06 Ackley Improved ( I like how that sounds!) with the 175 HH. I was able to get a tad over 3100 out of the standard 338/06. I can improve that some. Thank you guys, you are a great and enjoyable group of men to converse with! God Bless!

I should clear up that I "will" be working with my newly baptized 338/06 A.I. ,fire forming brass then working up (or putting the "finesse" on what I started with the 175 HH when it was not baptized, ha. I want this load worked up in the cold for sure. That's when I like to hunt antlerless around here (preferably in a hayfield somewhere, ha) I can bundle up ( and use my new battery powered heated vest, oh yeah) and sit in the car for the barrel to cool. Love it!!!

Well guys, I have a confession to make...I'm a bono fide Gun/Handloading Loony! ha I "tried" to make myself load/use some cup n core bullets alone right now ( I like them, use them for practice/coyotes, etc) and "wait" until Spring to mess with those 154 HHT, but I just couldn't do it. ha I ordered up a box of 50 to mess with while its still Winter, good and cold. I have both rifles at the gunsmith right now, the Mark V for rechamber to the 338/06 AI and bedding redoing "Bubba's" bedding job. The Kimber 300WSM I took over Tuesday to adjust the trigger down and to mount a scope. Today, when I knew I couldn't ( wouldn't, ha) wait, I called and asked them to clean/lube the bolts (both rifles are new to me used rifles) Winterize them really , and to clean the bores down to bare metal. That way, I will do a little barrel break in while I play with loads. I'm going to neck down this new Remington 35 Whelan brass I found to 338 and fireform the A.I. Improved with some Speer 225s. I have a wad of Lapua and Winchester brass already fireformed to the 338/06. I have enough Barnes 168, 150 and 130 I can use to "break in" this new Kimber. I'm going to take my time and do it right. I love the product EezOx for the bore, been using it over 20 yrs. Before I take them to the range I will clean and mop the bores, allow to dry overnight. Then at the range I will shoot one, clean, mop the bore/dry with EezOx for 5 times, then after every 3 shots for several. It is amazing how well it keeps the bore from fouling! If wipe a rifle down it has a very "loud" aroma, I don't use it for that. When I first moved out here, I met/used a Gunsmith who became a very good friend, he died awhile back. Anyhow, he told me to just soak down all the metal with Outers "Tri-Lube" and let dry overnight. It works! No rust even after a rain or wet snow. Just dry it off and re-apply back home!
I'm "jazzed"! ha

Last edited:
Well guys, I have a confession to make...I'm a bono fide Gun/Handloading Loony! ha I "tried" to make myself load/use some cup n core bullets alone right now ( I like them, use them for practice/coyotes, etc) and "wait" until Spring to mess with those 154 HHT, but I just couldn't do it. ha I ordered up a box of 50 to mess with while its still Winter, good and cold. I have both rifles at the gunsmith right now, the Mark V for rechamber to the 338/06 AI and bedding redoing "Bubba's" bedding job. The Kimber 300WSM I took over Tuesday to adjust the trigger down and to mount a scope. Today, when I knew I couldn't ( wouldn't, ha) wait, I called and asked them to clean/lube the bolts (both rifles are new to me used rifles) Winterize them really , and to clean the bores down to bare metal. That way, I will do a little barrel break in while I play with loads. I'm going to neck down this new Remington 35 Whelan brass I found to 338 and fireform the A.I. Improved with some Speer 225s. I have a wad of Lapua and Winchester brass already fireformed to the 338/06. I have enough Barnes 168, 150 and 130 I can use to "break in" this new Kimber. I'm going to take my time and do it right. I love the product EezOx for the bore, been using it over 20 yrs. Before I take them to the range I will clean and mop the bores, allow to dry overnight. Then at the range I will shoot one, clean, mop the bore/dry with EezOx for 5 times, then after every 3 shots for several. It is amazing how well it keeps the bore from fouling! If wipe a rifle down it has a very "loud" aroma, I don't use it for that. When I first moved out here, I met/used a Gunsmith who became a very good friend, he died awhile back. Anyhow, he told me to just soak down all the metal with Outers "Tri-Lube" and let dry overnight. It works! No rust even after a rain or wet snow. Just dry it off and re-apply back home!
I'm "jazzed"! ha
No need for an intervention here, you are in good company

Before I take a SWAG, would someone please give a "gist" how to install these tips on these 154 HHs? I could figure it out but they are too expensive to mess any up! ha BTW, somehow I fooled around and bought "Two" boxes of 50, so I'm "set now", ha.

I’ve found that an 8 ounce rubber mallet tips them fine too! Maybe the rubber will chip over time, idk. I was in a hurry to get one, and that store didn’t have a nylon hammer. 2-3 taps per bullet and the tip is fully seated

Back