My new Tikka - pics added

Schmo

Hammer Time Executive member
I thought I would make a post here for the fun of it. This will be elementary info for many, but I know that I enjoy reading what others are doing, even if I already know the process. So hopefully you enjoy it too!

I’ll start by saying that this rifle build is being done as a secondary rifle. I have a very nice custom rifle that is my main hunting rifle, chambered in 7mm PRC. While I absolutely love that rifle, like most guys, I wanted another one too! Like many here, I fell in love with Tikka long before I had one. Even though I have a custom rifle that costs multiple times what a Tikka costs, I still wanted a Tikka. That’s why I’m doing this.

I found a T3X chambered in 30-06 being sold by a private individual on a hunting forum. It’s basically like new, supposedly about 60 rounds or less down the tube. It was the basic blued and black synthetic. It had the factory bottom plastic, as well as an aluminum bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works. It came with one factory mag. All shipped my to FFL for $550.

I’m a 7mm fanboy, but I picked up the 06 because of the price and knowing I could and would rebarrel it. For now, it’s a low cost investment. I can customize it more later. I started searching for a factory take-off 7mm-08 barrel, wanting to use it for a heavy predator and back-up hunting rifle. I found a new stainless fluted takeoff barrel - just what I wanted.

I’m currently waiting on my action wrench to arrive. It’s supposed to come Thursday. Tikkas have a reputation for an insanely torqued barrel. I’ll tell you what I’ve used in the past and have had excellent results with. Use a Wheeler #1 outside action wrench. Wrapped a couple layers of electrical tape around the action by the mouth of the action. Clamp your wrench on the action were the barrel tenon is. Clamp your barrel in a barrel vise. You can put a toilet paper tube around your barrel before putting it in the vise to prevent scarring. Clamp it tight. Then whack the the end of the action wrench handle with a 3 or 4 lb hammer. It’ll pop loose without much drama. I’ve seen barrels scarred by a “gunsmith” who must have grabbed onto the flutes with a pair of vise grips and no padding. That is completely unnecessary.

Until I want to pay the $$$ for a carbon fiber stock, I’m running with the factory stock. I’ll make sure it’s free floated. I did do a custom paint job to make it a little more fun.

For the scope, my ultimate goal is a Nightforce NX8 set in UM Tikka rings. But for now, I’ll have to use a less expensive optic. My mounts are Talley one piece rings. I landed a Burris Signature HD 3-15X44 E3 from Natchez for $249! It’s a factory refurb. Normally these scopes run around $500. I wasn’t looking for Burris, and I’ve never had one. I found this one and did some research. Everyone says glass quality is above its price point. Reports are that the turrets track well and that they hold zero well. It should be just fine until I can afford the Nightforce.

Just got sample Hammers in the mail to see which Hammer I want to run. First I’m trying the 119 AH, and the 120 HH. I’ve got two powders on hand to try, and may order others of these don’t give the results that I believe it will be capable of.

If you’ve read this far, bless you! Hope I didn’t bore people to death. Just thought someone may like to read about it.

Always like to read about different builds. It looks like the Tikka is already finding ways to spend money! I really enjoy my Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. I found the Bell and Carlson to be an excellent stock for the Tikka, and is much less expensive than the carbon ones you are referring to. The full length aluminum rib really stiffens everything and I am getting good sub MOA groups. You have the aluminum bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works, and that really stiffens things up.

Gday schmo
Don’t worry about mountainman he eventually gets all gooey & will see the light 🤣
Now joe he’s a basket case as his love affair with anything 7-08 Is truely amazing 😍😇

I enjoyed you write up & look forward to more of this project
Interested between those 2 pills & where you get too & thoughts along the way

My mate uses leather on removing a barrel
But can’t remember the wrench

Cheers

Careful. Tikkas can get addictive. I’m on my 3rd one now. T3 & T3X in 300 WM and now a CTR in 308. I tried a couple different aftermarket stocks and wasn’t real happy with any of them, so on the T3X and CTR, I just added the flat formed piece and swapped the pistol grips out for the more vertical option.

I’ve got a new barrel for the T3 but it just shoots so darned well, I’m having a hard time justifying swapping it out.

I have Tried Stocky’s and the product, don’t remember which model, was a train wreck of quality control issues, so strike 1. Strike 2 was the APPALLING customer service in trying get the issue solved. So, I’ll probably never try another one of their products.

How many guys here know about the RokStock being released? It’s a carbon fiber stock, being manufactured for UM by Stocky’s. You will purchase it through UM, so customer service won’t be an issue. Tons of options available, and best of all, a $500 entry price.

I have Tried Stocky’s and the product, don’t remember which model, was a train wreck of quality control issues, so strike 1. Strike 2 was the APPALLING customer service in trying get the issue solved. So, I’ll probably never try another one of their products.
So sorry to hear that? My experience has been good? No need for customer service? Just got another stock for my next project?
Huh....

Yeah me too, I took GL's advice a couple years ago and ordered from stockys. the woman that answered the phone recognized my zip code and after a short conversation she mailed my stock out that day free of charge for shipping and I got a veterans discount to boot. Im really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience Rich☹️

So sorry to hear that? My experience has been good? No need for customer service? Just got another stock for my next project?
Huh....
Yeah, I‘d heard nothing but good things about them, but QC and customer service are my two big sticking points.

How many guys here know about the RokStock being released? It’s a carbon fiber stock, being manufactured for UM by Stocky’s. You will purchase it through UM, so customer service won’t be an issue. Tons of options available, and best of all, a $500 entry price.
I'm planning to do a Tikka biuld this spring and the plan is to put the RokStock on it.
It's going to be my first Tikka. Been a Remington guy all along but I like the idea of Tikka being something I can do myself and not need a gun plumber to go through everything to true it up first. Just swap barrels and maybe a bolt and shoot right from the factory.

Kris

The second Tikka I brought is a CTR in 7mm-08 then some others came along and some rebarrelled or reconfigured.

I'm having trouble with removing a barrel from the last Tikka I brought. I need a proper wrench that goes around the action.

The 7mm-08 is great, just use some of that mouldy Varget will be fine for 7mm-08

Next time you trash a .30-06, chamber it as a .280a.i. it is a SAAMI standard case and you can use Hogdon 4831

So I’m currently in the middle of trying to take the old barrel off. Of course, after I write up how simple this is, I realize how pathetic my barrel vise is. Since the Tikka barrels are so tight, I forgot that when I used it to do a Tikka barrel for my cousin, I have to clamp the the two halves together with a bench vise, since the bolts of the barrel vise won’t hold it tight enough. So a little frustration. Currently en route to Habor Freight to snag an el cheapo bench vise. Had to make a pit stop at the Casey’s to get some refreshments.

IMG_1651.jpeg

Back