My new Tikka - pics added

Must be a T3?
Everything I've read is that the T3 used something in the threads and can be a bear to loosen. The T3x is supposed to be much easier.

Kris

Must be a T3?
Everything I've read is that the T3 used something in the threads and can be a bear to loosen. The T3x is supposed to be much easier.

Kris
Of course that would the one I want to rebarrel….one more reason it may stay as is….LOL

Tikka are not the only company whose factory barrels are hard to remove.
I regret not buying a better barrel vice first round
Nope, I had a 700 barrel that I gave up on and took to gunsmith friend that had barrel sleeves. Even Wheeler Action wrench with 5' cheater could not break it free. But propane oxy torch "helped" a lot plus barrel sleeves in monster barrel vise. It was funny, he said no prob, grunted then brought out torch!😂.

It was a 1982 rifle so it had time to weld! 😂

Thanks guys! It was a fun little project. I do need a better barrel vise. Thinking either the Mechforce, Brownells, or something like that. Recommendations? Looking for one that can handle something like a Tikka factory barrel with ease. My cheap vise just couldn’t clamp it tight enough.

Rifle looks great, Schmo!
Never had to take off a factory Tikka barrel, but I am happy with the Short Action Customs vise. I mounted the ARCA section on a 2” square tube slide it into the receiver hitch on the truck when I need to spin barrels on or off. It is stable and saves a bunch of room because when not in use, it stays out of the way under my reloading bench.
IMG_3625.jpeg

I know that’s a good vise! Their modular vise is supposed to be excellent, but it’s also $400! I’m thinking either the Mechforce or the Brownells. Some guys say a 4 bolt vise is needed for super tight barrels like Tikka, and mil rifles. Regardless of the brand, Brownells sells these little lead shims that are basically a soft sheet of pure lead. You wrap it around your barrel and then clamp it in a vise. Supposedly it grips your barrel really well, and obviously won’t mar it.

Back