Need a Gunsmith

markfina

I am looking for a full-service gunsmith, having a problem installing a new barrel and getting it to headspace correctly.

The gunsmith that was installing my new barrel can not get his go no go gauges to headspace correctly he believes the factory over tighten the old barrel and stretched the threads in the receiver which is causing the problem with the headspace.

As long as the barrel abutment is tight with the receiver face, the tightness of the threads matters not, just so long as they pull the barrel to the receiver face. There should be minimum of 55ftlbs of torque anyway.

What receiver and what barrel? Prefit barrel I assume?

I am looking for a gunsmith that has dealt with problem and has a solution. This a Browning BBR and is no longer in production and a replacement receiver is not available.

OK, so Long Rifles Inc is the answer. He's done a lot of work with hunting rifles.
What cartridge is the chamber? Belted mag?

The gunsmith that I have been using has tried shimming it with no luck either the go gauge works but the no go gauge doesn't

The gunsmith that I have been using has tried shimming it with no luck either the go gauge works but the no go gauge doesn't
Weird that he would try shimming, considering belted mags headspace off the belt and not shoulder, “technically”.

I’ve tried gauges for my 300WM and they gave me fits too, so I just used a fired piece of brass and headspaced off the shoulder. With the bolt closing with some resistance. Been running like a champ.

It’s probably considered hilljack gun plumbing, but it works! 🤣

This makes no sense. Is the gunsmith taking the ejector/spring out when using go/ no-go gauges? If not that could cause a problem.

WELL guys I got my 7mm Remington Magnum BBR back from a Real Gunsmith who does outstanding work and has this beauty running like new! If you are not familiar with this gun it's virtually the same as a Weatherby Mark V. Browning only made this rifle from 1978 to 1984. I do believe Browning got their tit in a ringer with Weatherby and the cost of manufacturing. I bought mine back in 1979 for 295.00 yikes this would be 1500.00 to 1800.00 today. My gunsmith installed my new old stock barrel and some new parts along with bedding the receiver and adjusted my trigger to the sweet zone. Now comes the sore shoulder part of getting this baby back to zero. Yeah, I am a Pussie! Hopefully, I can get this sited in before I can clap loudly with my should blades 🤞

Attachments

• 20220724_121858.jpg
    20220724_121858.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
Back