Welcome from Upstate NY. What powder did you use in the 270 load?
Great to hear from everyone, I enjoy people who love the smell of gun powder. I used 56 grains of IMR Enduron 4451 for the 270 load, the powder that gives me the great 7 MM loads is also an Enduron powder, 8133, both of which are no longer available. Does anyone know why IMR quit making the Enduron line of powders, they worked great for me?

Great to hear from everyone, I enjoy people who love the smell of gun powder. I used 56 grains of IMR Enduron 4451 for the 270 load, the powder that gives me the great 7 MM loads is also an Enduron powder, 8133, both of which are no longer available. Does anyone know why IMR quit making the Enduron line of powders, they worked great for me?
Great question. I used IMR 4166. Wish had grabbed a jug of it. Hard to even find any IMR powders. Somebody better get on the stick. That's lost $$.

Welcome from Upstate NY. What powder did you use in the 270 load?

Great question. I used IMR 4166. Wish had grabbed a jug of it. Hard to even find any IMR powders. Somebody better get on the stick. That's lost $$.
I would trade you a lb of 4166, and throw in cash for lb of 8133, I would pay handsomely for a pound of IMR 8133, it is magic in my 1885 7mm, anyone know of any? You are right on the IMR powders getting harder to find, and more expensive, I saw a pound of IMR 4350 in a well known national store last week for 69.99, 20 dollars higher than any other powder. Make sure to KEEP IT DRY.

Love the 85's! Two great cartridges too!

Welcome from Wolverine state!
Some suggested reading!,

Thread 'New Member Read Recommendations'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/new-member-read-recommendations.1622/
Thanks, the 1885's were my bucket list guns since I was young, I was thrilled to find the 7mm and 270, together, and my friend that worked at the store were they were thought there was a 22 250 also originally, all from the same person selling them after her father passed away. My friend found out someone he knew bought 22 250, and would sell it. They all have a PV serial number which makes them made in 1985, 100 years after John Browning made the first ones. I was very lucky to get all three, in excellent condition, beautiful wood, and they shoot Really good☘️

Welcome from Central Montana.
I’ve got around 2.5lbs of the 4451 and most of a pound of 7977. Haven’t found any loads I’m completely in love with either of them yet. 4451 did ok in the 7mm-08.

I have had good luck with 4451 in several calibers, it is excellent in my 270 Win, 56 grains of 4451 with a 130 grain Shock Hammer gives me a three shot clover at 200 yards going 3250 fps, it also worked good in my 7MM, but the magnums is where the 7977 is really good. It is a very slow burning powder that gives good velocities at lower pressures, and I found it be a very accurate powder. I'm sure you could find a great load for your 7mm 08 with 4451 using any of the Hammers, like the boys say " run em hot".

I have had good luck with 4451 in several calibers, it is excellent in my 270 Win, 56 grains of 4451 with a 130 grain Shock Hammer gives me a three shot clover at 200 yards going 3250 fps, it also worked good in my 7MM, but the magnums is where the 7977 is really good. It is a very slow burning powder that gives good velocities at lower pressures, and I found it be a very accurate powder. I'm sure you could find a great load for your 7mm 08 with 4451 using any of the Hammers, like the boys say " run em hot".
I’m trying to run em hot in my 7mm-08. The issue I’m having is it’s a AR-10 style rifle. The slower powders have higher pressures when the bullet gets to the gas port of the barrel. This causes the bolt to open too soon. I’ve went to a heavier buffer and I’ve installed an adjustable gas block. Hopefully now I will be able to adjust the gas to the slower powders.

IMR 4451 is right next to IMR 4350 on the burn chart, quite a bit faster than 7977. What grain bullet are you using ? I don't know that cartridge well, but I saw where Stabal 6.5 gives great velocities and lower pressures than most other powders, I have had good luck with stabal 6.5 in my 22 250 and 270 Win, good luck.

IMR 4451 is right next to IMR 4350 on the burn chart, quite a bit faster than 7977. What grain bullet are you using ? I don't know that cartridge well, but I saw where Stabal 6.5 gives great velocities and lower pressures than most other powders, I have had good luck with stabal 6.5 in my 22 250 and 270 Win, good luck.
I’m using the 130gr Absolute Hammer. I have some Stabal 6.5 also. It’s just the nature of the beast when you’re shooting an AR style rifle in a different caliber with slower powders. I think once I get the gas system dialed in the way I want either 4451 or 6.5 Stabal will be great choices.

Back