No blood trail?

I taught blood trailing in the International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) as one of the chapters we taught. I used heavy condensed milk with dark red food coloring in a laboratory style squeeze bottle with long stem. It was a small 250 ml bottle. The blood trail was placed over 100-150 yds in woods. It worked fantastic and was quite realistic. The best part was the post discussion after going through the blood trailing exercise in classroom. The most interesting part of the discussion was how much "blood" did the deer lose based upon blood trail observation. The answers were all over the map! Pints to quarts! When I held up the bottle and it was still 1/2 full, class was always stunned. Then we discussed how much deer has to lose to go into trauma. I always felt this was prob the most informative chapter we taught since it provided perspective that can be retrieved mentally during future blood trailing. A "lot" of blood on ground is not as much as you think.

I taught blood trailing in the International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) as one of the chapters we taught. I used heavy condensed milk with dark red food coloring in a laboratory style squeeze bottle with long stem. It was a small 250 ml bottle. The blood trail was placed over 100-150 yds in woods. It worked fantastic and was quite realistic. The best part was the post discussion after going through the blood trailing exercise in classroom. The most interesting part of the discussion was how much "blood" did the deer lose based upon blood trail observation. The answers were all over the map! Pints to quarts! When I held up the bottle and it was still 1/2 full, class was always stunned. Then we discussed how much deer has to lose to go into trauma. I always felt this was prob the most informative chapter we taught since it provided perspective that can be retrieved mentally during future blood trailing. A "lot" of blood on ground is not as much as you think.
I hope you set up those tricky type tracks when game is shot with non-Hammers. LOL Give a drop every 15yds and then change directions with it... :LOL:

We did a blood trail mock-up for a men's retreat activity. Started with about a quart of red liquid(don't recall what they made it out of) and made it so an amateur could easily follow it. A few of the more experienced hunters were even surprised how much we had left in the jar. You would have thought we used a cows worth of "blood" looking at the trail.

Gday cbjr & muddy

That’s actually pretty cool & makes me think of our personal head wounds as you get heaps of visual blood but in all reality it’s very little volume overall

So ticking a little deeper & trying to remember a discussion I’d had with government veterinarian that turned into a good mate that I wish was still alive as I’d ring him & get actuals straight from the horses mouth instead of my memory as that sux lately

I think if memories ok 🤷‍♂️a animal has around 75mils of blood per kg of critter weight & had to loose around the following ( give or take )
A/ 20-25% of its total blood before symptoms of incoherence started
B/ 30% very visual eg staggering /goose stepping /stepping in post holes
C/ 40% the critters dead

So if we look @ a quick hypothetical equation
A100 kg deer(220 lbs ) = 7.5 litres total blood x those figures
A/1.5 ltrs /1.875ltrs ( 1litre =1.057 quarts)
B/2.25 ltrs
C/ 3liters

So how much is actually on the ground that we see regardless of shot position & even the real good blood trails

Something to tick on

The more puzzling one for me is how come the hammer kills don’t retain the blood in the meat like cup & core

Cheers

Back