No blood trail?

OK, a stroll out into left field.

CNC's have switched to synthetics, water based quite some time ago from my experience in manufacturing before I retired years ago. Lots of reasons for better coolant management. Parts then typically go through a washer cycle and dry cycle. So what's left in the hollow point? Maybe some water based synthetic coolant? Some type of washer surfactant? Deionized Water?🤷🏻‍♂️

Now the stroll into the space vortex. The one aspect of shooting Hammers is the need for faster twists plus increased velocity even with standard twists. Which results in higher RPM of bullet.

Sooooo, is the higher RPM centrifugal forces causing the contents of the hollow point to "escape" and vaporizing during flight? Orrrrr is the higher RPM's of the bullet creating visible vortexes during flight depending on environmental conditions?

Ok, my head hurts and getting another coffee.
OMG Muddy. I'm gonna need to switch to more than coffee to not understand this perfectly viable hypothesis.

Wait, are you cross threading posts on the oil thing? I can't even with you right meow! :ROFLMAO:

Neither deer I shot this year had much of a blood trail (didn’t need one). First was shot with 92HH (.257) almost head on with entry at the neck shoulder junction and exit was lower middle ribs with heart destroyed. Deer fell at the shot and was very little blood on ground. Second was with the 131HH (.284) broadside center of rib cage. No blood found at impact area and very little on ground where it fell (30 yd. run). Cavity was full of blood. No complaints here.

Neither deer I shot this year had much of a blood trail (didn’t need one). First was shot with 92HH (.257) almost head on with entry at the neck shoulder junction and exit was lower middle ribs with heart destroyed. Deer fell at the shot and was very little blood on ground. Second was with the 131HH (.284) broadside center of rib cage. No blood found at impact area and very little on ground where it fell (30 yd. run). Cavity was full of blood. No complaints here.
Thank you for bringing this thread back on course!😱😂

FWIW I'm following a thread on LRH where someone didn't get a blood trail using a TTSX and nobody's complaining over there about the bullet.... suddenly the bias on monos isn't there in that thread anyways, weird :unsure: .
It just shows its not the type of bullet its just random minute details of all the other variables that take effect on impact. Sometimes you wont get a blood trail.

I think there has been huge revalation that velocity is necessary for mono performance.
In my experience velocity is the rising tide that lifts all boats.

Comparing the .338's with numerous cup and core bullets, the larger cartridges show better terminal performance.

The difference to me has been finding cup and core, that withstand high velocity from primer strike to the skinning shed.

FWIW I'm following a thread on LRH where someone didn't get a blood trail using a TTSX and nobody's complaining over there about the bullet.... suddenly the bias on monos isn't there in that thread anyways, weird :unsure: .
It just shows it’s not the type of bullet it’s just random minute details of all the other variables that take effect on impact. Sometimes you wont get a blood trail.
xactly so

This drives me nuts. As someone who has used everything under the sun I can say it’s not the bullet. These reports come from mostly guys that shoot 1-2 animals a year. They think that is a good sample size. I’ve shot things with nosler that have sprayed blood and not leaked at all. shot the same deer standing within two feet of the first and zero blood. Same bullet same shot different results. I’ve shot a deer at 35 yards with a 20gauge slug and it never leaked. Just to many variables to say a bullet. What I do know is two holes are better than one.

I suffered from a lack of blood trail today.
.308. 124hh. Impact velocity 4000fps.
There was no blood trail to follow. 🤷🏻
IMG_6663.jpeg
Edit to add…. If it had ran, I’m sure there would have been a blood trail.
But it didn’t run one step. 😂

Being one who “complained” (termed used loosely…because it doesn’t hold a candle to the complaining I do elsewhere in life! 😂) about a lack of blood trail with the HH and HHT, I am obliged to offer this report:
In another thread, @Farleg et al suggested the SH/LH line would be better suited for my terminal performance desires. Their suggestion aligned with my previous experience.
Earlier tonight, my 9 year old and I took two does. One was a bang flop (no picture of it, as my boy was on the phone with the boss when we got to it), but the other only ran 25 yards and he easily tracked it.
120LH out of 308win. Haven’t figured impact velocity yet, but both were 100-ish yards.
Entrance wounds were bloody and contained blowback. No noticeable exit wounds.
Because of that, the plan is to stick with 130SH in the 308 and test the 120LH in the 300 HAM’R.
IMG_3592.png
The blood trail was no worse than this every couple steps all the way to where she expired. Very pleased!
IMG_3590.jpegIMG_3589.jpegEdit to add, I did not dress either, so I didn’t get to see internal damage. Kids go back to school tomorrow (on a Friday?…go figure), so I wanted to get them both to processor so we could get back and get kids fed and showered.

Gday @aratliff
Thats better & even though you didn’t get a look @ the internals I’m still pretty confident I know what’s gone on & yes the 130SH the more I see critters on the ground from you ( everyone is slightly different on their critters makeup ) & on your critters you’ll need 2 things with the 120LH to get a better pill than the 130SH

One you can do the other you can’t

But the first one for those who want a opening a little quicker ( on these deer due to size/resistance the first lobe won’t have a lot of damage & the pop of this pill has basically gone off in the centre of the deer just a touch earlier) just champer the nose a touch & your opening & performance will be improved the total penetration length will not be compromised

The 130SH has been balanced a lot better these days from what we originally started with & goes off in a nice transition zone ( on my drill results as I’ve not shot these tweaked pills but measurements on originals to the ones today roughly occurred 3 years ago )

Alan Glad to see those kids getting out & about in the field 😍but also glad to see your keeping them in line for school as education is also important

Cheers

X2 Farleg's post above. Chamfer the mouth of the inside of the hp in the 120LH just slightly. Only changed the weight about 3 grains. Instead of opening in the center of the deer, or second lobe of lungs, bullet shredded first lung lobe as well. Still exited the chest cavity.

Being one who “complained” (termed used loosely…because it doesn’t hold a candle to the complaining I do elsewhere in life! 😂) about a lack of blood trail with the HH and HHT, I am obliged to offer this report:

The blood trail was no worse than this every couple steps all the way to where she expired. Very pleased Edit to add, I did not dress either, so I didn’t get to see internal damage. Kids go back to school tomorrow (on a Friday?…go figure), so I wanted to get them both to processor so we could get back and get kids fed and showered.
Discussing isn't complaining, we've "dis-cussed" lots here. On occasion we have a light bulb moment.

It's a shame you couldn't get a post mortem look inside. So many of these are liquified inside my late night CSI shows make me curious how much blood loss is happening. Be fun to actually measure.

I'd likely have kept those kids out of school LOL! Congratulations on hunt, and thanks for sharing.

It's a shame you couldn't get a post mortem look inside. So many of these are liquified inside my late night CSI shows make me curious how much blood loss is happening. Be fun to actually measure.
We did a blood trail mock-up for a men's retreat activity. Started with about a quart of red liquid(don't recall what they made it out of) and made it so an amateur could easily follow it. A few of the more experienced hunters were even surprised how much we had left in the jar. You would have thought we used a cows worth of "blood" looking at the trail.

Back