Please Help...Where to go from here???

AZhntr

Question for all of you smarter than me! Im in the process of loading for my 300 win mag with 154HHT. As ive read in this forum to do a pressure test then back off a grain or so and shoot for groups. Heres my pressure test starting low and working up with the grain and velocity produced in picture. I eventually got to 78gr of H4350 (the highest I loaded) and those are the 3 rounds with what i believe to be slight ejector marks (at top of each case slight half moon) bolt lift is still easy and smooth. Would you guys call this pressure and to stop increasing powder charge? I feel like this velocity is a lot more than what i was expecting to get too before i would run into major pressure signs but I havent. Also this is without a crimp, Im running .002" neck tension here, I will start adding 1/8 crimp to these rounds and see if i can tighten the group up. Where to go from here?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 31
I see you started a dedicated thread, so I've migrated my responses here from the pressure thread:

- Yup, pressuring stoutly with flat & cratered primers. Pop them out and also look at the sides of the primers for belling out on the tops. Lapua supports the primer all the way, so the hourglass look will be another indication of most likely over pressure.

Most importantly measure the primer pocket diameter. You decide how long you want your brass to last. FWIW I only got to 76gr of XMR 4350 with 137HH in 300WM for a brass longevity load at 3350fps 24”.

- So the common ramp up to pressure then back-off method would have one beginning the precision testing of the first load that didn't show over pressure and reduce .5gr per increment loads till one or more are showing precision.

I eventually got to 78gr of H4350 (the highest I loaded) and those are the 3 rounds with what i believe to be slight ejector marks (at top of each case slight half moon) bolt lift is still easy and smooth. Would you guys call this pressure and to stop increasing powder charge?
My short answer is yes.
You did your pressure ladder correct, good job reading pressure signs.

Lapua brass is generally a little harder brass than others. It makes it more durable but also hides pressure better than say....Nosler brass which is softer. With that said, I would say any ejector swipe would worry me a little on Lapua Brass. That with the primers dimpling (not a great measure by itself), would make me back off a bit. Your velocities are faster than I would have expected out of a 300 wsm with 154 HHT, but that could be a multitude of factors.

H4350 is very temp stable and a great powder, but I would also take into account you are shooting during the colder months. Depending on your location and temps during the fall, this could also cause an increase in pressure. I would back down to where I had no ejector swipe and work my crimp from there.

I'm watching 'cause I plan on loading that 154 HHT in my new to me 300 WSM. I'm going to look for accuracy around 3250-3300. Only elk I hunt is fat cows and I have been able to take broadside shots on every one I have taken. Even though this rifle is my "spare" ( right between my 338/06 Ackley Improved and my long barreled Shilen in 7x57. That 154 TT looks "intriguing". Have a ball Pard!

I have found that 76-77gr seems to be top end for me with H and IMR4350's w/154-163HHT's and 160HH in my 300WM. Now every rifle different factored in, it still "somewhat" falls into most of the load data posted. 77.5 and 78 have always had slight marks with Lapua brass very similar to your photo.

Lapua brass is generally a little harder brass than others. It makes it more durable but also hides pressure better than say....Nosler brass which is softer. With that said, I would say any ejector swipe would worry me a little on Lapua Brass. That with the primers dimpling (not a great measure by itself), would make me back off a bit. Your velocities are faster than I would have expected out of a 300 wsm with 154 HHT, but that could be a multitude of factors.

H4350 is very temp stable and a great powder, but I would also take into account you are shooting during the colder months. Depending on your location and temps during the fall, this could also cause an increase in pressure. I would back down to where I had no ejector swipe and work my crimp from there.
its a 300 win mag. appreciate your advice im going to drop back to 75.5 and work up to 77 with 1/8 to 1/4 crimp. I will post results next week when i shoot

its a 300 win mag. appreciate your advice im going to drop back to 75.5 and work up to 77 with 1/8 to 1/4 crimp. I will post results next week when i shoot
I misread the original post....those velocities make more sense now.

I knew it read Win Mag, but I can "draft" behind your final load data/velocity when I'm "tweaking" my Kimber 300WSM! lol I'm actually going start with Ramshot Big Game. Its a good temp stable powder also. Good luck to you Pard!

Side note; a few years ago I had business in Phoenix during mid November. The temp was in the pleasant low 70's. To Arizonans, they were chilly, lots of hoodies/sweaters, ha. That was the most wonderful weather I had "ever" had in Phoenix, Mesa and Scottsdale! Phew, I thought East Texas got hot!

I grew up there ( Liberty Co) until I was 34. Worked 20yrs of that/ off and on in oilfield and midway 5 yrs Military!(2 in Germany and 3 in Tx Nat'l Guard out of Beaumont & Ft Hood) I do not miss either the heat nor the humidity, lol. This is the only place I ever lived that has Four Seasons! One can shoot all year up here if they choose ( I do). I look forward to getting my rifles back from the Smith's.

Gday @AZhntr
So glad your asking as we all learn from these questions
Advice is sound so I’ve got nothing to add to that & looking forward to seeing the final journey & that’s a smile & critter so I await that day

Side note
Ok you smart guys & @ButterBean you may come in here also on the barstool stuff you do

How about we put together a video of what a pressure load starts to look like on firing
Eg start off with a non pressure load & show bolt lift & the non click to ejecting the case showing where to look for pressure sign & measurement of case etc ( here’s a thought I wonder if you could incorporate a scale like a trigger pull or drag pressure on fishing reels to show the increased resistance on bolt lift @ pressure 🤷‍♂️ )
& then do a slight pressure load showing the same process & then a pressure load

To me that would simplify a lot as pictures are great but hearing seeing a slight click of a bolt is one that a video would give a better understanding & be perfect on barstool imo as the way you explain/show things bean is simple & that’s what we need not some of the over the top things we hear about

Carry on
Cheers

Yeah, I don't know what a "click" is, really. If its a sound, well, 5 yrs in Artillery and 17yrs in oilfield took most of my hearing, ha. Can you "feel" the click? I'm almost like a blind/deaf man now, I need to "feel it" and read lips! ha

Back