Predator Proliferation Problems

Lots more coyotes and fewer deer around here the last couple of years as well, I know one trapper who comes to the meat shop/farm I work at for some scrap to bait coyotes. He has only been doing a little the last few years because fur prices were low so he was losing money, just did a little to get out and stay sane with all the crazy stuff going on all around.

What you fellows may not realize is how many coyotes will feed say on a dead cow, I personally have seen 10 on one cow, I killed 4 of them that day, was a little rusty I should have had 6. My understanding of coyote behavior is when they leave the kill the scent from feeding is on their pads and as they travel away from the kill they end up attracting a lot more coyotes to the kill then say their family group of the year. There is a pecking order on eating position and it is extremely interesting to watch, when I am with in killing range of coyotes on a kill and not noticed I will watch them a long time before starting the party, one I learn a lot and two I try to maximize my opportunity of kill numbers. I love to stalk coyotes and do it all winter, killed two yesterday stalking. I am a caller also but the thrill of stalking trumps calling. I love hunting predators. Bears, wolves, coyotes, lions, fox. I have an old coyote caller friend that taught me a lot, one winter years ago, -20 degree weather he cam unto a dead cow with over 20 coyotes on it, now that’s winning the lottery as you can hunt that for a week and possibly kill more than half of them, as in severe weather they WILL be coming back to feed on that cow day and night, till it’s gone.

Last edited:
Back