Reloading...A dying art?

The real problem going forward for anyone trying to start is the ongoing lack of critical components such as primers, powder selection, high quality brass, tools, dies, even scales.

The one thing I learned in last 3+ years you cannot be a reloader if you do not stockpile as it becomes available. This is not hoarding IMO, but preparation for lean times.

As I switch out I try to PIF as much as possible dies etc to those trying to get a foothold. This in all of our benefit to get more into shooting sports.

Wait a MINUTE!!!!!..... What are you considering "Old"???? :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I would agree that the young crowd is not jumping in to the reloading game in the masses. With that said, I do believe other shooters and hunters are joining in the masses. In the last 5 years or so, I have taught two guys (friends), who are approx 10-12 years younger than me how to reload. One of them is all in and has his own set up now. The other is building his career, but loves the hobby and I can see him buying his own gear in the next 3-5 years.

Lots of folks still reload, especially the competition shooters. There has never been a bigger selection of reloading gear on the market in my life. If reloading was a dying art, the manufacturers wouldn't be putting money in to R&D and producing new fandangoed equipment every other day.

My son and daughter (14-16 y.o.) have learned to reload, but still heavily rely on myself as their ammo manufacturer. I suspect when I die, my son will want all my gear and will hopefully keep the hobby going.....only time will tell.

NOWWWWW........Back to the is "OLD GUYS" thing......I'm not sure if I am allowed in this distinguished club just yet??? Anyone want to let me know at what age a guy is able to join?? I'm assuming it's much like the elderly living communities, where you can't buy a house unless you are "X" years old. I don't wear depends yet and I can hold my bladder for a solid 45 minute commute (much beyond that, well I have to pull over and water the tires). If it's not an age thing...what else are the requirements?? Hearing loss, grey beard hairs, longer ear hair than your nose hairs, wrinkles......please let me know what the requirements are as I am excited to join the club and wear my age as a badge of honor!!

:LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sleep:
You left out getting drunk and swapping teeth.

The one thing I learned in last 3+ years you cannot be a reloader if you do not stockpile as it becomes available. This is not hoarding IMO, but preparation for lean times

As a “prepper” many years (mid ‘70’s) before the term became commonplace……I was doing exactly that. Only when I started it was not because of component availability……it was cash availability! I didn’t do anything crazy……just enough to carry my family through a few years of nutritional hard ships or self defense! memtb

I started reloading in 2001 or 2002 when I was in high school. Not sure why I started, other than to understand the whole process. I reload more as another hobby rather than to do anything better or cheaper. It's fun building stuff and seeing results from stuff I build.

Well, I’m not old. So I guess I’ll stand in for the young crowd (35). Started at 14 with my grandpa teaching basics and preaching consistency.
I can attest that many “kids” today are of a different breed. I work in the electrical construction field. Long days and short nights. Motivating the young people of today is what I struggle with most. When I was 19 breaking into this field, I and most of my friends were motivated by “big” paychecks, with which we bought trucks, guns, drinks and, well the attention of women in one way or another.
Now, that doesn’t seem to motivate the same way.
I’m at a loss there guys. If you figure it out, let me know. I have young guys to motivate and train.

OH…..

I started at 16 years old with a rock chucker kit and still have it today at 62. Love to roll my own loads!
I started at 16 as well, but with the Classic Lee loader for my 30-06 and 357 mag, that was 50 years ago.

My son is 35 yo and a very successful engineer, but doesn't reload, although he loves to hunt and shoot.

I too wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't handload.

Define old?

I’m 52 and been reloading about 30 years.

I don’t know what I would do with myself if I didn’t reload.

It’s not the younger ones it’s the be different just like everyone else mentality of the millennial generation.

Hipster tattoos, man buns and everything else to fit in.

I’m not old and grumpy, I’ve never changed but I am aging and I hate that too. But I am at a stage that my discretionary spending budget is a little more in my favour.

Apart from primer shortages there is no reason to not be a reloader if you are a keen shooter.

Yeah, like Farleg said money is easier to come by and 6.5cm ammo is everywhere. Maybe cause us old folk won’t use it.

I started at 16 as well, but with the Classic Lee loader for my 30-06 and 357 mag, that was 50 years ago.

My son is 35 yo and a very successful engineer, but doesn't reload, although he loves to hunt and shoot.

I too wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't handload.
Don't let an engineer reload. They think to much. Their minds don't work like a normal person. They wind up doing everything right but put they bullet in the case going the wrong way.

The constantly recurring component shortages is a major disincentive to start reloading for many. The shortages make it hard to start out small to test the waters to see if you are really interested - it is either stockpile, or you will be out of an essential component. And, also, many non-reloaders thinking about giving it a try decide the uncertainties in component supply is not worth the potential benefit.

Nonetheless, if you are serious about accuracy, reloading is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Don't let an engineer reload. They think to much. Their minds don't work like a normal person. They wind up doing everything right but put they bullet in the case going the wrong way.
Nah, "the engineer" in me is always thinking "why" or "why not"?! Just ask @Steve Davis, @Mountainman or @Farleg !!😂

I can NEVER accept "status quo" which can be really good or royal PITA! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why do I reload? No different than tying flies since 9 yrs old or making arrows or making lures. When you shoot something with a round you "crafted" there is an additional "geek" added to the success. No different catching fish on your flies or lures. Or the "mystical flight" of the arrow you put together!

Poor @Mountainman having to listen to my rants on reamers! 😂

I believe you are correct. All tied to the "instant" generation attitude of having it now. Decent factory ammo offsets the "need" to customize ammo in their minds. I am in same camp of their lack of preparedness for future. New $2K phones, tattoos and Starbucks addiction more important. Nobody has time to reload but find time for gaming, watching YT, streaming , Tik Tok, X, Instagram, 🤮 ad nauseam.
I may blow a few minds here, but that’s okay. I’m 26, and have been reloading for 4 years. Started with pistol since that’s the easy stuff. Have gotten into loading rifle in the last two years. I really enjoy it. It’s a great way to unwind after the workday or on a Friday evening.
I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Tik Tok. I also don’t game. I do have my own business. Between that, my hobbies, and church, I stay plenty busy. This is not meant to be arrogant at all, but perhaps to point out that I’m kinda an old guy in a young body. 😂

I may blow a few minds here, but that’s okay. I’m 26, and have been reloading for 4 years. Started with pistol since that’s the easy stuff. Have gotten into loading rifle in the last two years. I really enjoy it. It’s a great way to unwind after the workday or on a Friday evening.
I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Tik Tok. I also don’t game. I do have my own business. Between that, my hobbies, and church, I stay plenty busy. This is not meant to be arrogant at all, but perhaps to point out that I’m kinda an old guy in a young body. 😂
I knew there was something about you I liked!!

You are definitely traveling a road less traveled by your peers! 👍 up to you sir! memtb

Theres hope for society yet still... :)

The constantly recurring component shortages is a major disincentive to start reloading for many. The shortages make it hard to start out small to test the waters to see if you are really interested - it is either stockpile, or you will be out of an essential component. And, also, many non-reloaders thinking about giving it a try decide the uncertainties in component supply is not worth the potential benefit.

Nonetheless, if you are serious about accuracy, reloading is the only way to go.
Somehow I have a friend that decided to get into handloading, i somehow convinced him to use Hammers....
But ive warned about supply shortages but it hasnt sunk in.
The only reason he has primers is because I stockpiled when they came up ( and at considerable expense). his powder tho is still, for now, widely available... and what does he do, buys only 1lb.

I'm 38 and I didn't start reloading until early 2021, although I'd been reading/researching/discussing reloading for many years before that. Mostly because my time in the AF, and living in base housing, made it too much of a headache to start. Buying our house in 2020 let me start getting things ready, but getting started in the COVID squeeze was hard. I'm the only person in my family that reloads, but I have a large group of people I know that reload, which really helped me avoid some of the common beginner pitfalls.

Back