Single shot. What action would you use?

ua26fitter

Hammer Time Executive member
What action would you use if building a 300 RUM as a single shot?
Why?
I've had the itch for years to biuld a single shot something in a Ruger #1. I've also been putting parts together for a bolt action 300 RUM. Kinda thinking what it would be like having a single shot 300 RUM. just rolling ideas around at this point.

I'm not familiar with single shot style actions other than the famous Ruger #1.

Kris

If you can cut loose from the #1 fan club yelling about butchering the Mona Lisa:

IMG-0452.jpg

Something like this, is one way to go.
Not a recent photo, kind of mid process. It now has a Benchmark 1-8", 20 inch barrel, threaded waiting on a Pain Killer break.
Lose the quarter rib in the process and replace with just a custom rail.
Lose the front sight along with threading.
Synthetic Oregunsmithing stock. This one is maybe a touch heavier as it was a prototype and needed a little more material in the cheek for better ergonomics than the original. He has another model absent thumbhole. Flush cup stud swivels.
Properly bedded IMO means pillar bedded front and rear.
Oregunsmithing does an awesome trigger job, good enough I still have a Canjar in the safe
A bit of rail for an Evolution Bipod instead of pictured Harris
Downsizing scope as intent was a more compact package.
This is a .30-06, obviously a .300 RUM needs more barrel.

If you can cut loose from the #1 fan club yelling about butchering the Mona Lisa:

View attachment 697

Not a recent photo, kind of mid process. It now has a Benchmark 1-8", 20 inch barrel, threaded waiting on a Pain Killer break.
Synthetic Oregunsmithing stock. This one is maybe a touch heavier as it was a prototype and needed a little more material in the cheek for better ergonomics than the original. He has another model absent thumbhole. Flush cup stud swivels.
Oregunsmithing does an awesome trigger job, good enough I still have a Canjar in the safe
I like it. A 26" barrel is what I have in mind. I really like the stock.
It looks like a stainless #1 could be difficult to find.

Kris

I believe the Browning 1885 will stand the pressure of a 300RUM.
Bailey Bradshaw builds custom single shot rifles with actions of his own design. They are available with traditional lever or side lever. He makes falling block and rising block actions. His engraving and woodwork is excellent.

A lot of stylish single shots around. It kind of depends on what your goals are, a lot of those stocks aren't as shootable for me, I like a little different cheek weld than most have, and a bit flatter fore end.

I've known some with high intensity cartridges in 1895's that have done well

There are some less known custom actions around for as massive a cartridge you wish to play with.

LOL! I was just watching this. Started watching him blow up a .45-70, haven't got to the details yet.

I would describe that as a "stupid rifle". You just have to be stupid to shoot that and he's not stupid!!

His 500 actually doesn't kick bad. At least not the load that I shot. But that thing there is ridiculous.

View attachment 697

Ah, What have you done?

A Ruger No1 is the first that comes to mind. Probably because it's well known or popular.

A "Nice" Ruger No1 with nice wood , would do it justice.

Ah, What have you done?

A "Nice" Ruger No1 with nice wood , would do it justice.
LMAO!
1) Bought as a donor, at a donor price.
2) Stock had already been "customized".
3) Spent a lot of time getting it to shoot "OK".
4) Contrary to legend not all of them are "nice".

It's funny the attachment #1 and #3 fans have to keeping them stock. Certainly a place for that, I've seen some real works of art. They rarely show up in the field.

It's now less than a meter long, and balanced pretty well. Should fit in @Farleg side by side readily.

A little higher comb makes it more shootable IMO.

I had a #3 (lost to fund divorce) .375 Winchester, I loved it stock, nothing romantic about it, but it would put 10 cast bullets into less than an inch, and we literally drove nails with jacketed bullets. Kind of set the bar for my expectations on how a falling block should shoot. Kids killed bear with it, and it worked in the field. I feel the same about bolt guns, first they have to perform. Everything is in the safe so I don't really display them.

Any way for me it's better than when I started.

What action would you use if building a 300 RUM as a single shot?
Why?
I've had the itch for years to biuld a single shot something in a Ruger #1. I've also been putting parts together for a bolt action 300 RUM. Kinda thinking what it would be like having a single shot 300 RUM. just rolling ideas around at this point.

I'm not familiar with single shot style actions other than the famous Ruger #1.

Kris
You can have a single shot built on any bolt action , action. I would use one that accepts all Remington accessories . Such as stocks, triggers and scope bases .

Back