Single shot. What action would you use?

It's now less than a meter long, and balanced pretty well. Should fit in @Farleg side by side readily.

A little higher comb makes it more shootable IMO.
Gday carl
Sounds about perfect
Sxs & utes it’s great to have those short firearms for ease of management

Thinking of some of the longrange outfits that get used
I see more use for a single shot as a dedicated longrange outfit than in a magazine feed as you should only need one right 😜
no bullet meplat damage issues being my main part
Single shots should be the introduction to every new hunter regardless of range as it teaches the first shot is so important & in the rum that’s all you’ll need Kris 😎
Just thinking out load lol

Cheers

Gday carl
Sounds about perfect
Sxs & utes it’s great to have those short firearms for ease of management

Thinking of some of the longrange outfits that get used
I see more use for a single shot as a dedicated longrange outfit than in a magazine feed as you should only need one right 😜
no bullet meplat damage issues being my main part
Single shots should be the introduction to every new hunter regardless of range as it teaches the first shot is so important & in the rum that’s all you’ll need Kris 😎
Just thinking out load lol

Cheers
I agree that ALL new shooters need to learn on a single shot. Nothing worse than a new shooter that thinks Spray and Pray works.🙄

I really like the way the 1885s look and feel. But....I ultimately went with the Ruger #1 in 25-06 for 2 reasons:

1. Trigger/hammer lock time. The 1885 is about as slow as it gets.
2. Using a scope with an exposed hammer. I like my scopes mounted as low as possible....but makes it increasingly difficult to manually lower the hammer. Couple that with cold fingers sitting in the deer blind and it was more risk than I wanted.

I've built a couple single shot bolt actions lately. One in a 30-338 Lapua and another for a client that's not complete yet in a 300 Rum. His is on a Winchester model 70 action that I milled a filler plate for the magazine well and epoxied in. Mine is on a single shot PTG action. Both work very well. I'll dig up some pictures tomorrow.

Here's the single shot 300 RUM i built for a friend. The rifle is not complete and has a temporary scope right now. He is doing his own load workup so I'm unsure of where he is but I think he has a pretty good load with 225 eldm and a LOT of Ramshot LRT. He had the stock and bought a donor rifle to fit it.

Model 70 post 64 Winchester (1978 model I believe)
I milled a solid 3/4" piece of aluminum with a cartridge groove and epoxied it into the mag well to stiffen everything up. The usual accurizing stuff, a jewel trigger and a 30" bartlein 1:8 twist heavy varmint barrel with a fat bastard brake.

rum2.jpg
300 rum1.jpg

I always thought the Encore would be sweet with a Bellm trigger job. I had a #1 and my no neck structure made eye relief a problem. I had it in 303B too. Daggum...

Back