Sizing Mandrels vs FL sizing die with expander ball??

jrebel

Hammer Time Executive member
Who uses expander mandrels vs FL sizing dies with the expander ball? Are you seeing increased accuracy or smaller ES / ED's with one or the other. Being I am crimping Hammers, didn't think mandrels would add that much benefit.....but maybe I'm wrong....

What say you all Master Hammer Reloaders??

I FL size everything with the decapper rod out of the die. I set the ID of the necks with mandrels. This gives me acceptable results from neck tension to group sizes. The crimp is only effecting a very small amount at the edge of the case mouth. So, you still want the rest of the neck set straight by mandrel.

I FL size everything with the decapper rod out of the die. I set the ID of the necks with mandrels. This gives me acceptable results from neck tension to group sizes. The crimp is only effecting a very small amount at the edge of the case mouth. So, you still want the rest of the neck set straight by mandrel.
I just pull the balls out of my FL dies and Let Her Eat

@BFD got me using mandrels.
To answer @Edd, I can think of a couple reasons with a tired mind.
1) they allow one to sharp shoot neck tension. The 21st Century mandrels I use are offered in half thousandth diameters.
2) for new brass with dented necks, you can make the necks round without running through a die and unnecessarily working the brass.

@jrebel, I don’t have enough experience to answer your question with any degree of certainty, but I would think they would add to consistency. 🤷🏽‍♂️

My next FAFO project will be to try a FL bushing die.

Gosh darn youtube.....I have been reloading for 20+ years and have never used a mandrel neck sizer. I've always been able to produce sub MOA loads. Now, I want to try mandrels...... 🤣 🤣.!!!! It's an addiction and I just can't say no. Next week, I order mandrels.

I've been reloading for many many years, but I feel a little lost here, how do you deprime?
Most (many) quality dies come with a depriming pin holder to replace the larger resizing button. Nothing touches the inside of the neck.
The Lee one size fits all decapping die works well too.

I at least skim turn many necks (depends upon brass brand and case uniformity) to achieve uniform neck thickness (neck walls).

FL dies with neck bushings allow for the constriction I want. Mandrells uniform neck tension all the way down the neck. Lee crimp is for final tuning of load.

On many of my cartridges I've used the Lee collet neck sizer die and either a Redding body die or remove the expander ball from a FL die when I need to bump the shoulder. I've been producing sub moa loads for years. Are mandrels that much better?

On many of my cartridges I've used the Lee collet neck sizer die and either a Redding body die or remove the expander ball from a FL die when I need to bump the shoulder. I've been producing sub moa loads for years. Are mandrels that much better?

We are in the same boat!!!! I will report back my findings. May even have some mandrels for sale (half off) if they don’t work. Just in case you want to learn for yourself. 😂

With most of my rifles I shoot to 800 yards. My lapua I will stretch to 1000 and beyond for fun. My guess is it will help shrink ES and SD’s but for hunting ranges won’t have much of a notable difference. All that being said….I’m gonna giver heck and waste some more of my wife’s money. 😂

Last edited:
We are in the same boat!!!! I will report back my findings. May even have some mandrels for sale (half off) if they don’t work. Just in case you want to learn for yourself. 😂

With most of my rifles I shoot to 800 yards. My lapua I will stretch to 1000 and beyond for fun. My guess is it will help shrink ES and SD’s but for hunting ranges won’t have much of a notable difference. All that being said….I’m gonna giver heck and waste some more of my wife’s money. 😂
Lol.

I'll be looking forward to your results.

Most (many) quality dies come with a depriming pin holder to replace the larger resizing button. Nothing touches the inside of the neck.
The Lee one size fits all decapping die works well too.

I at least skim turn many necks (depends upon brass brand and case uniformity) to achieve uniform neck thickness (neck walls).

FL dies with neck bushings allow for the constriction I want. Mandrells uniform neck tension all the way down the neck. Lee crimp is for final tuning of load.
Mandrels also knock down/smooth out/push to outside any brass flow around the neck/shoulder called "donuts".

Gosh darn youtube.....I have been reloading for 20+ years and have never used a mandrel neck sizer. I've always been able to produce sub MOA loads. Now, I want to try mandrels...... 🤣 🤣.!!!! It's an addiction and I just can't say no. Next week, I order mandrels.
We're all students to the grave!
Understand there is spring back to brass and that spring back amount can be different between makes of brass. Probably due to metallurgy, but mainly due to case neck thickness. For example, a neck thickness of .015 will have more spring back than a neck turned neck of .012.
So, I told you that to tell you this, order a few mandrels per caliber size. I have gotten away with .001 increment mandrels. I order the caliber size and then two under by .001. (.308 gets: .308, .307, .306) All will produce a smaller internal diameter than listed size due to the spring back.
Then, all of that sets you up for target neck tension. I use .0015 for match grade/long distance ammo, .0025 for Hammers, and .0035 for AR platform.

Back