Team Hammer in Africa 2024

Haven't weighed it. Guessing about 11-12 lbs. I think the stock design isn't letting me handle the recoil. We shot @Farleg rifle when we were in Ausie and it wasn't any trouble. Even off hand I couldn't keep it from biting me. Need to find a brake that will fit .870" muzzle with a 50 cal hole. Open to suggestions on a brake.

Got the 36 Nosler done running the 242gr HHT. Tried several powders and settled on rl15.5 with a vel of 3075 fps. If I can't locate a brake for the 500 Jeff this will be my buffalo slayer.

Jill's BeanMore shot great. Tried quite a few diff powders here as well. The 20" barrel pretty much topped out at the 3200 fps mark. Settled with rl15.5 with this one too at a comfortable 3130 fps.

Surely a break shouldn’t be that hard to source? Even if nothing off the shelf is available any mildly competent gunsmith should be able to make you one to suit.. if you weren’t on the wrong side of the world I would recommend my smith who makes excellent breaks or even just offer to make you one myself, they’re a pretty simple bit of machining

Appropriate Stock design is critical on the bigger stuff too! Sorry you got whacked mate!

I have had a play with a few Jeffery’s and you are certainly not the 1st person I have seen cop a face full! First time I saw one fired resulted in a young bloke with an egg the size of half a baseball on his forehead 🤕

(to his credit he cycled it and had another Shot 😂👍)

Surely a break shouldn’t be that hard to source? Even if nothing off the shelf is available any mildly competent gunsmith should be able to make you one to suit.. if you weren’t on the wrong side of the world I would recommend my smith who makes excellent breaks or even just offer to make you one myself, they’re a pretty simple bit of machining

Appropriate Stock design is critical on the bigger stuff too! Sorry you got whacked mate!

I have had a play with a few Jeffery’s and you are certainly not the 1st person I have seen cop a face full! First time I saw one fired resulted in a young bloke with an egg the size of half a baseball on his forehead 🤕

(to his credit he cycled it and had another Shot 😂👍)
Haha! I think I am just stupid enough to shoot it half a dozen times trying to figure out how to manage the recoil. I think only one shot didn't touch me. Broke skin twice! Been about 6 hrs now and my nose is still leaking blood out of the bandaid.

I am very much looking forward to giving it another go after the PK is installed. I think the load has potential to go higher than the 2600 fps but I only have 20 pcs of brass and time is running short. Will just run it like it is.

I do have a laminated wood stock coming but not enough time to get it inleted and bedded before the trip. Eventually it will get done. The 500 Jeff should be in a nice looking wood stock.

Full marks for effort then!
Haha! I think I am just stupid enough to shoot it half a dozen times trying to figure out how to manage the recoil. I think only one shot didn't touch me. Broke skin twice! Been about 6 hrs now and my nose is still leaking blood out of the bandaid.
🫣 full marks for effort then!! Doesn’t sound like much fun..

Shame there’s no time to get the new stock fitted and yes a classic like that should be in timber 😍

I know you got the brake figured out, but you could look into brakes made to work with the 50 Beowulf if you want to change it up in the future or for others (rifles or people).

Back