Things-a-changin’

A lot of it is how you raise your kids and where you live. I tell my kids to challenge (respectfully) these ideas that are taught. If the teachers get upset, I get involved. This usually does not go well for the teachers or the district. Just last year I had to set them straight on their BS and it went all the way to school board and superintendent before it was fixed. Fortunately, we live in an area that is not to bad "YET". I'm also fortunate that both my kids will be done with k-12 in the next 3.5 years.

The parents just have to be involved and not afraid to advocate for their kids. A huge problem in this country (USA), is that parents don't parent anymore. Broken families, lack of religion, lack of values....etc. If parents did their jobs on a more regular basis, the extreme left ideologies would not exist. Keep parenting and your kids will turn out just fine.

Thats not always the case here.

Im always respectful but find its the other side that isnt. Were dealing with social and progressive ideologies. In the worst scenarios, Portland isnt a safe place anymore to be vocal about conservative values.
I hear what you are saying. There is a reason I don't live in or around Seattle, Portland or any major west coast metropolitan area. I won't even visit these places anymore, and I grew up in Tacoma area.

All that being said....You have a legal right and responsibility (in my opinion) to be an advocate for your children. I would be at every board meeting if my kids were being exposed to this crap. I would excuse my children from any activity that wasn't in their best interest, and if the school didn't like it, they could pack sand. Critical race theory.....my kids can be excused from that lesson, gender reassignment studies....same...etc. etc. etc. Don't like it, I'll never vote for a levy or bond again. If I'm that fearful of the school system in the city I live.....I'm moving. My kids come first.

I hear what you are saying. There is a reason I don't live in or around Seattle, Portland or any major west coast metropolitan area. I won't even visit these places anymore, and I grew up in Tacoma area.

All that being said....You have a legal right and responsibility (in my opinion) to be an advocate for your children. I would be at every board meeting if my kids were being exposed to this crap. I would excuse my children from any activity that wasn't in their best interest, and if the school didn't like it, they could pack sand. Critical race theory.....my kids can be excused from that lesson, gender reassignment studies....same...etc. etc. etc. Don't like it, I'll never vote for a levy or bond again. If I'm that fearful of the school system in the city I live.....I'm moving. My kids come first.
Yes, thats what im doing. My kids know whats right.
I cant afford to move. Grew up here and never saw the writing on the wall i guess. Its always been liberal here and in itself doesnt bother me but things went downhill fast as progressive politics rose during the trump administration, portland went nuts.
Ive looked for jobs in free states but no luck the tech industry is over here, were dependant on both incomes so its not just my job needed to uproot. I still keep an eye out for jobs in my industry anyways.
I could go on.

Yes, thats what im doing. My kids know whats right.
I cant afford to move. Grew up here and never saw the writing on the wall i guess. Its always been liberal here and in itself doesnt bother me but things went downhill fast as progressive politics rose during the trump administration, portland went nuts.
Ive looked for jobs in free states but no luck the tech industry is over here, were dependant on both incomes so its not just my job needed to uproot. I still keep an eye out for jobs in my industry anyways.
I could go on.
Two incomes, one to pay someone else to raise/indoctrinate your kids while you and your wife slave away at the widget factory for someone who doesn’t hold your same values. Yet still barely making enough to get by.
Am I on the right track?

Two incomes, one to pay someone else to raise/indoctrinate your kids while you and your wife slave away at the widget factory for someone who doesn’t hold your same values. Yet still barely making enough to get by.
Am I on the right track?
Yup, except for the barely getting by part. To give up one of our incomes would be a huge hit though.
I started voting for education vouchers once our youngest entered school. Its a hard pill to swallow paying for private or home school and pay taxes on public schools. Somewhere Ive heard or read that the home/private school market has greatly increased here in Oregon in the last few years.

Can you move out of the city and put your kids in a smaller school and you commute to work? Lots of area around Portland that would be a reasonable commute.

Can you move out of the city and put your kids in a smaller school and you commute to work? Lots of area around Portland that would be a reasonable commute.
Not really. Commute times notwithstanding...
Smaller towns are more conservative here, but from what I understand all the public schools in Oregon are required to use the same curriculum.

Couple years ago a small town school district just outside of Portland got into huge trouble banning woke symbology. In the end the school district got sued, a judge ruled their school rule unconstitutional, staff members and principles fired, recalled.
You cant escape it here.

My wife is a teacher in Washington. Yes, the public schools are basically governed by the state......BUT, smaller districts are way better (not perfect). Each district can pick their curriculum as long as it meets state minimum requirements. I assume WA and OR are very similar.

My wife is a teacher in Washington. Yes, the public schools are basically governed by the state......BUT, smaller districts are way better (not perfect). Each district can pick their curriculum as long as it meets state minimum requirements. I assume WA and OR are very similar.
Probably the same in Oregon, not certain. But if I can find a way to move Im leaving the state.
I hear Washington is a mess with this too.

Probably the same in Oregon, not certain. But if I can find a way to move Im leaving the state.
I hear Washington is a mess with this too.
Not so much the east side of the state. We are a strong hold. We have some very liberal teachers….but the admin is not so much.

I consider myself fortunate, my parents were early adopters of homeschooling, only time I set foot in a public school was for hunter ed back around 05-06

Yup, except for the barely getting by part. To give up one of our incomes would be a huge hit though.
I started voting for education vouchers once our youngest entered school. Its a hard pill to swallow paying for private or home school and pay taxes on public schools. Somewhere Ive heard or read that the home/private school market has greatly increased here in Oregon in the last few years.
So if moneys not the obstacle, what is? Lifestyle?

So if moneys not the obstacle, what is? Lifestyle?
Lifestyle is a part of everyones financial choices but not the only factor in etching out a living. How many people can afford to cut their income in half just to homeschool their kid? Would you?

Before we get into everyones personal finances can we clarify if your talking about childcare or education? Because the two expenses are not the same financial situation.

If me or my wife lost one of our jobs, it would cut our finances in half. Our lifestyle would not support that. We don't live beyond our means, but I also am looking forward to retiring at 55 ish and a cut in income would walk that back many many years.

Koda, sounds like a your situation is no different than many many folks that are like minded. My advice at the end of the day (you can take it for what it's worth.....FREE), is to keep doing what is working and just be the best parent you can to your kids. There is no perfect answer / solution to this problem. Be involved, teach them right from wrong, teach them morals, values and ethics.....at the end of the day it will all work out. This does not mean succumbing to the radical left.....you should always advocate for your kids.

Stay strong....we are all in this fight together.

Last edited:
If me or my wife lost one of our jobs, it would cut our finances in half. Our lifestyle would not support that. We don't live beyond our means, but I also am looking forward to retiring at 55 ish and a cut in income would walk that back many many years.

Koda, sounds like a your situation is no different than many many folks that are like minded. My advice at the end of the day (you can take it for what it's worth.....FREE), is to keep doing what is working and just be the best parent you can to your kids. There is no perfect answer / solution to this problem. Be involved, teach them right from wrong, teach them morals, values and ethics.....at the end of the day it will all work out. This does not mean succumbing to the radical left.....you should always advocate for your kids.

Stay strong....we are all in this fight together.
Thought this a bit fitting for our times.Screenshot_20240215_125452_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Lifestyle is a part of everyones financial choices but not the only factor in etching out a living. How many people can afford to cut their income in half just to homeschool their kid? Would you?

Before we get into everyones personal finances can we clarify if your talking about childcare or education? Because the two expenses are not the same financial situation.
Already did. Nothing is more important than my children.

And the money saved on childcare goes to their education.🇺🇸

Back