Tikka 280ai build. Help choose a barrel

spokenfly

Morning everyone. I've decided to sell a few rifles that I no longer need and anticipate having some cash on hand for a new rifle. I've wanted a rifle in 280ai for a long time, and always liked the Tikkas. I enjoy a good project, and doing things myself when I can, so I'm leaning towards purchasing a new Tikka in 30-06 and slowly upgrading barrel, stock, and bottom metal. This will be a do-it all western gun that will hopefully be accurate enough to start stretching my shots out beyond 400yds (at least in practice).

I plan on getting a 8 twist barrel. I want the availability to run both the light fast hammers as well as the heavies for moose/elk. Right now I'm leaning towards 24" in length. I'm on the fence whether to go with carbon wrapped or traditional steel. It seems like you can get a steel barrel from a more known/trusted manufacturer (Pac-Nor, Bartlein) than a carbon one (OMR, CaronSix).

Does anyone have any recoomendations on barrel lenght, twist, or manufacturer? This is my first time ordering a barrel, so hoping to learn some more before I go and spend a bunch of $$$.

The 1:8tw will work fine up to 170HHT in 280AI. The biggest "problem" will be throating to accommodate the heavyweight like the 170HHT and still fit in the magazine. Shooting lighter bullets will be one heck of a jump but most have not had problem with extensive bullet jump. Kind of difficult to have a do all barrel for all bullet weights. Suggest researching what the heaviest you plan on shooting. @Mountainman can you help on weights?

What will your primary hunting need be? Big game like elk or deer? Then decide how you want to throat it.

What kind of barrel? SS? Matte finish? Contour determines weight for most part. Fluted? Fitted?

There are lots of good barrel manufacturers out there. I have had multiple barrels from Preferred Barrel that have all shot extremely well. YMMV

Morning everyone. I've decided to sell a few rifles that I no longer need and anticipate having some cash on hand for a new rifle. I've wanted a rifle in 280ai for a long time, and always liked the Tikkas. I enjoy a good project, and doing things myself when I can, so I'm leaning towards purchasing a new Tikka in 30-06 and slowly upgrading barrel, stock, and bottom metal. This will be a do-it all western gun that will hopefully be accurate enough to start stretching my shots out beyond 400yds (at least in practice).

I plan on getting a 8 twist barrel. I want the availability to run both the light fast hammers as well as the heavies for moose/elk. Right now I'm leaning towards 24" in length. I'm on the fence whether to go with carbon wrapped or traditional steel. It seems like you can get a steel barrel from a more known/trusted manufacturer (Pac-Nor, Bartlein) than a carbon one (OMR, CaronSix).

Does anyone have any recoomendations on barrel lenght, twist, or manufacturer? This is my first time ordering a barrel, so hoping to learn some more before I go and spend a bunch of $$$.
I purchased a Carbon6 24" 1-8" feather weight for my 7prc. I am happy with it even though I'm not a big carbon barrel guy. I had to at least say I own one !

I plan on getting a 8 twist barrel. I want the availability to run both the light fast hammers as well as the heavies for moose/elk.
You kinda have to decide to lean one way or the other. I went thru this when I rebarreled my 25-06 to shoot heavier Hammers, I'm not a varmint hunter so I went with the fast 7 twist and getting it throated long. If I decide ever to shoot a light bullet on the opposite end I will deal with it if I can or cant, I'm not worried about bullet jump with Hammers anyways and I have lighter calibers to varmint hunt with if needed. IMO in caliber like the 280ai (which I also shoot) isn't really a caliber I ever plan to shoot the lightest 7mm bullets with anyways but thats just me, you could decide to get the fastest twist for the heaviest Hammer (7.5) and still have all the Hammer options in the upper weights of their 284 bullets, I don't think a half a twist will matter although 8 twist does cover most everything. For reference my 280ai is an 8 twist and Im shooting the 140gn Absolute Hammer. Dont forget to look up the bullets stability factor.

With longer heavier monolithics you will also need to consider the barrels throat length. My 280ai is a factory rifle, so I don't know if its throated for the heavier hammers but if wanted to shoot the heavies.... get a sample pack of what your interested in and seat a dummy round to barely fit your magazine then see if it chambers. Dont force the bolt closed if it doesnt want to, but if it feeds into the chamber then you can decide if you want to get the barrel custom throated for the longer bullets. Thats what I did with my 25-06. If you do this, you will need to take that dummy round to your gunsmith to assure proper throat

Pick the barrel length that meets your intended use. If you hunt more in heavy timber you might want a 24in bbl and the velocity loss is negligable. However, Its safe to assume your handloading here... If you want to take advantage of the 280ai's range then go with a 26in bbl to optimize velocity potential. The difference of 2in is marginal and subjective but add another 50fps to the 172AH and it might stand out even more.

To double up on @Koda comments, I built a .270 Win 1:8 fast twist throated to shoot heavies. It has 0.290 freebore to accommodate the longer heavier bullets. Obviously, a lighter shorter bullet will have enormous jump but so far doesn't seem to hamper them too much. I think if you decide the primary use of the rifle, the bullet will decide the throat freebore and will sort out as result.

Thanks all for the good information. Game will be mostly westen US: mule deer, elk, black bear. I live in Alaska so moose could be on the menu, but I have a 338 RPM, and 375 Ruger for the big guys.

I want to gun to be under 9 lbs and packable. I like short barrels for carrying in AK, but 24" seems like a happy medium. No plans for a supressor. The 145HHT and 170HHT look tempting, but also the 160SH

I'm thinking of replacing the bottom metal with Red Snake Tactical which allows the use of 300WM AICS mags, so I should have plenty of length to play with.

I’ve been doing a ton of research on barrel makers and have come to this conclusion: BRUX, Bartlein, Kreiger, Lilja are all tough to find negatives. Wait time is the only drawback, so if you can find what you want in stock, they’re all the cream that rises to the top. As for contours, I’ve discovered that #3 or smaller are going to weigh almost the same as carbon fiber in same lengths. Only advantage I could envision for CF is more surface area for heat dissipation, but if it’s strictly a hunting gun, I think that’s a non issue. Only carbon barrel I’ve read mostly good about is Proof.

I’ve been doing a ton of research on barrel makers and have come to this conclusion: BRUX, Bartlein, Kreiger, Lilja are all tough to find negatives.
These are the 4 brands I use the most with the majority going to Bartlein. I've also used McGowan and Shilen and had very good luck. A lot of folks are having very good results with Preferred barrels. I have one I'm wringing out right now but it's too early to make a judgement.

Regards

Thanks for the recommendations @LightTheTower and @Mountainman! It takes a lot of time to sort through the online drivel to get a sense of things. Part of me wants a gun that can shoot more than 3 rounds before getting hot like the Kimber Hunter it's replacing. I'm vaguely curious about some of the leagues at the local gun range and would be nice to have a gun capable of participating, but in reality, it'll mostly be a hunting gun. Proof seems like the best choice for carbon, but they don't make a prefit in 280ai. A #3 steel from Bartlein or simiolar may be the best...but not the sexiest...

Gday spokenfly
barrel brand the guys above way better knowledge than me

on barrel length 24 sounds good
8 twist 👍as it will give a Little wriggle room on where you’ll end up on pill choice ( more to come on that )

Haven’t heard a break mentioned or I missed it 🤷‍♂️
Thoughts on that ?

Now the pills
Throat for longest yep got that

On weights
Im hesitant on the 170hht ( pill lengths around this length in general ) as if you were to go that way I believe a 7.5 twist bare minimum & don’t know if they come in a 7 twist but that is where I would place my interest on getting one of them but
In all reality I don’t think the pill that would suite you has been made yet & that will be in the 155 hht ish weight ( 🤞they make one for you guys ) but the 145hht is a better bet than the 170 hht on paper
I’d also be putting more thought of the 145hht in critters being a better pill than the 170hht if a 155ish weight doesn’t come along ( if it shows same traits as the 30 cal )

I like the thought process of the 160SH as I looked that up also & definitely worth considering in a few scenarios

Looking forward to seeing this all play out

Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts @Farleg. I don't plan on running a break with this one.

170 does seem a little on the heavy/long side for this cartridge. If I want to shoot some really high BC bullets for long range fun, I'm sure there are some better suited options out there.

For hunting N. American game, perhaps the 160SH is the sweet spot unless a 150ish HHT comes out in the future.

The project will take some time to see through, but I just ordered the rifle today. I'll keep you all apprised of the progress as it trickles along

I’m in Canada and have been using IBI barrels lately. I’ve used both steel and Carbon fibre with excellent results. My 280 AI has a 1-7.5” twist IBI CF 23” long. I’m currently shooting the 140 AH at 3300 FPS. It’s also under 9 lbs without a sling or loaded mag.

Attachments

• AA6AE4B8-6C58-4D59-BF6B-17A36CE2FD88.jpeg
    AA6AE4B8-6C58-4D59-BF6B-17A36CE2FD88.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 0F165434-891F-4490-98DA-62A85BBA7474.jpeg
    0F165434-891F-4490-98DA-62A85BBA7474.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 99E73966-FE84-49FD-B4D8-DE4A93CCC622.jpeg
    99E73966-FE84-49FD-B4D8-DE4A93CCC622.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Back