Tikka 280ai build. Help choose a barrel

Took the dive on a 24" 8.4 twist Proof Sendero barrel blank. Talked to T&C yesterday. He will be taking care of my chambering and install. Not sure how long it will take to receive the barrel from Proof. Could be some time...

Now to choose a stock. Lots of options out there. Considering a Peak 44 or Manners, but there are so many others to look into. I confess I don't know much about choosing a stock for proper fit. Need to do some more research.

Now to choose a stock. Lots of options out there. Considering a Peak 44 or Manners, but there are so many others to look into. I confess I don't know much about choosing a stock for proper fit. Need to do some more research.
Fwiw, Manners will send you a stock to try before you buy. They require a credit card on file and only ask that you return it on your dime with insurance.

I learned that after I placed an order for an LRH the other day. Based on what I (think I) want out of the stock, the LRH was the best fit. Resale on those is pretty good if it does not work out.

Best wishes during your search!

I know we don't have a lot of real world experience with the brand new 7mm HHTs, but I'm curious what the group thinks about the 145 HHT vs the 153 HHT out of the 280AI. I put together estimated ballistics using Hodgdon's max load with Stabal6.5. My barrel should turn both of them with the 8.4 twist. I suspect going with the slightly shorter 143 may be better in the Tikka mags. The ballistics are more or less the same out to 500. Bullet would be for elk, deer, black bear. Seems to be a wash to me unless I'm missing something?

Range153 HHT (max)DropWind145 HHT (max)DropWind
3002508-4.33.92537-3.894
4002338-15.26.82358-14.66.9
5002176-32.9102187-31.5710.1

I know we don't have a lot of real world experience with the brand new 7mm HHTs, but I'm curious what the group thinks about the 145 HHT vs the 153 HHT out of the 280AI. I put together estimated ballistics using Hodgdon's max load with Stabal6.5. My barrel should turn both of them with the 8.4 twist. I suspect going with the slightly shorter 143 may be better in the Tikka mags. The ballistics are more or less the same out to 500. Bullet would be for elk, deer, black bear. Seems to be a wash to me unless I'm missing something?

Range153 HHT (max)DropWind145 HHT (max)DropWind
3002508-4.33.92537-3.894
4002338-15.26.82358-14.66.9
5002176-32.9102187-31.5710.1
This is one of the few examples of where the dreaded “e” word might tell you something. I would assume the “energy” on the 153 might win the debate. I think a ballistic gel test, or water jugs, or even plywood layers would be an interesting comparison between the two.

For sure I'd try them both and see which one is most accurate.
I have a 28 Nosler with a 1:8 Carbon Proof barrel that shoots bug holes. I built it just for an elk rifle, so I shoot the 177g HH in it, but it's killed antelope, deer and a bighorn sheep as well.
Hopefully yours will do the same.

My vote goes to Lilja, great barrels and I gotta support my neighbors.
I'll agree with you on Lilja barrels. I have 3, they are all great shooters.
.308 1-10 twist 5R chambered in 308 Winchester.
.308 1-11twist 3 grove chambered in 30-06.
.284 1-9 twist 3 grove chambered in 7-mm Rem. Mag.
I have a few Shillen barrels as well, they are really nice too, I think I like my Lilja barrels just a bit more.

Live is good with good bullets.

I'll agree with you on Lilja barrels. I have 3, they are all great shooters.
.308 1-10 twist 5R chambered in 308 Winchester.
.308 1-11twist 3 grove chambered in 30-06.
.284 1-9 twist 3 grove chambered in 7-mm Rem. Mag.
I have a few Shillen barrels as well, they are really nice too, I think I like my Lilja barrels just a bit more.

Live is good with good bullets.
X3 on Lilja 3 groove

Northland Shooter's Supply Criterion barrels have been outstanding for clean cut chambers and rifling. Laser beams
Benchmark barrel blanks I've had chambered aren't as pretty rifling as the NSS Criterions, but shoot like laser beams too.

In all reality I don’t think the pill that would suite you has been made yet & that will be in the 155 hht ish weight ( 🤞they make one for you guys ) but the 145hht is a better bet than the 170 hht on paper
I’d also be putting more thought of the 145hht in critters being a better pill than the 170hht if a 155ish weight doesn’t come along ( if it shows same traits as the 30 cal )

I like the thought process of the 160SH as I looked that up also & definitely worth considering in a few scenarios

Looking forward to seeing this all play out

Cheers
@Farleg, now that we have the 153HHT .284: any thoughts on how the 145 and the 153 compare on game?

I picked up 100 of the 160SH from the bullet trading thread, so I'll start there and move to the HHTs once I get everthing on hand and assembled.

Gday spokenfly
@Farleg, now that we have the 153HHT .284: any thoughts on how the 145 and the 153 compare on game?

I picked up 100 of the 160SH from the bullet trading thread, so I'll start there and move to the HHTs once I get everthing on hand and assembled.
No comparison on game sorry
Only the theory side for now

I like the look of this 153 for your outfit as you will be able to maximise the velocity potential or @ minimum not handicap the chambering as a short magazine does with the long pills
@Muddyboots help explain it properly on what we’ve been playing with

On game I think the 153 is going to give good results & I see nothing that’s worrying me with it on what I can see on it

Side note to confirm /confuse 🤔a little more
Does anyone have any of these pills & can someone measure the hp depth if they do please as this would give us a bit of a head start

Not a lot of help spokenfly sorry but once you start on those 160sh I think we can get a little better information & thoughts
Cheers

Gday spokenfly

No comparison on game sorry
Only the theory side for now

I like the look of this 153 for your outfit as you will be able to maximise the velocity potential or @ minimum not handicap the chambering as a short magazine does with the long pills
@Muddyboots help explain it properly on what we’ve been playing with

On game I think the 153 is going to give good results & I see nothing that’s worrying me with it on what I can see on it

Side note to confirm /confuse 🤔a little more
Does anyone have any of these pills & can someone measure the hp depth if they do please as this would give us a bit of a head start

Not a lot of help spokenfly sorry but once you start on those 160sh I think we can get a little better information & thoughts
Cheers
Thanks @Farleg , I'll order a sample pack of each and see how the fit in the mag, and see what kind of velocity I can get out of each. Still waiting on the barrel and stock, so it's all theory for now...

If you’re willing to change cartridges, a 284 win would be another good option for a new barrel. They’re within 100 fps in the same length barrel. There are several prefits that offer match chambers that are throated for the 180 class bergers. Same bolt face, you’ll have plenty of room to seat bullets long in your mag, which may be a problem with 280 AI since I’ve heard Tikkas don’t have as much room for seating much beyond spec in long actions. It would be a good match for the heavier weight hammers or other heavy copper bullets that tend to be close to or longer than many of the match 7mm bullets. You’d need new dies and brass, but all the top manufacturers make 284 win.

I just picked up a sample pack of both the 145HHT and the 153HHT. Both are long enough that if seated in the first PDR valley as I normally would with other Hammers, they will not fit in the stock Tikka mag. This leaves me a few options: 1) seat deeper and crimp beyond the first PDR valley or 2) trim the polymer tip to fit the mag, 3) investigate alternative bottom metal/magazine options.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I didn't really want to go towards the AICS or other magazines out there, but it's an option that may give me a longer allowable COL.

Back