Tikka 280ai build. Help choose a barrel

Snip them tips if ya can. I agree AICS isn't a great option - I like the 'stock' low profile Tikka mags.

You could look around for a mountain tactical billet magazine. They don't list them on their website (anymore?) but will get you to 3.4" IIRC

Thanks for the reminder on the Mountain Tactical mags @hand skills . I found them on the website and will put in an order for one ($70/each...ouch). The 3.4" OAL should allow either the 145 or 153 HHT when crimped in the first PDR valley

Okay gotcha. Just double checking. Give those Mountain Tactical mags a try!

@spokenfly, curious if you've gotten your barrel yet by any chance? I'm just curious about your project and excited to see how it turns out.

@Schmo you're not the only one excited! The Proof barrel did indeed arrive and just as quickly went back out the door along with the action down to Montana to be fitted by Fischer T & C. Sounds like he should be finished with it in a couple weeks. I also ordered a Peak 44 carbon stock which I am still waiting for. I've been reading Nathan Foster's Tikka bedding instructions, and will be taking on that job when everything arrives. I've also ordered a number of titanium parts to fit. I have a sample pack of the 145 and 155 HHTs and 100 pieces of Peterson Brass. Hoping I can get above 3150 fps with the 145s and staball 6.5 Still need to order the dies.

If you’re willing to change cartridges, a 284 win would be another good option for a new barrel. They’re within 100 fps in the same length barrel. There are several prefits that offer match chambers that are throated for the 180 class bergers. Same bolt face, you’ll have plenty of room to seat bullets long in your mag, which may be a problem with 280 AI since I’ve heard Tikkas don’t have as much room for seating much beyond spec in long actions. It would be a good match for the heavier weight hammers or other heavy copper bullets that tend to be close to or longer than many of the match 7mm bullets. You’d need new dies and brass, but all the top manufacturers make 284 win.
Not to derail the thread as I have a .280a.i. and Im still obsessed with the long straight'ish case with a sharp shoulder.

.284 has been around a while and they all have their best points. I dunno I think the .280a.i. was my choice for a hunting cartridge.

It's on a Tikka with an IBI C/F wrapped barrel. 1 in 8.5 from memory.

There is a gunsmith I know of that will face the actions to get a wider surface on the front of the action to mate up the tenon shoulder.

Tikka magazines are the weakest link in all of this for custom builds as we would possibly seat out a little on some cases if we could.

Bolly/Precision Defence Industries make a good C/F stock but I'm not sure if there are export restrictions or suppliers in the US.

There are C/F stocks made by an Irish company that I looked into but I got a good deal on the Aussie made one.

Back