Tikka 7mm-08 Range Report - Need Input

Schmo

Hammer Time Executive member
Was able to make it to the range this morning. I worked up some loads for my rebarreled Tikka 7mm-08. I would like some input from you guys as to next steps.

Factory 22” barrel
Nosler unfired brass
CCI250 primers
Hodgdon Benchmark powder
Loaded to last PDR groove - 2.75” COAL
Chronograph - MagnetoSpeed Sporter

119 AH:
40 grains - 2777, 2777, 2762
40.5 grains - 2802, 2811, 2763
41 grains - 2781, 2791, 2832
41.5 grains - 2815, 2837, 2856
42 grains - 2885, 2882, 2891

120 HH:
40 grains - 2778, 2712, 2745
40.5 grains - 2766, 2797, 2791
41 grains - 2874, 2795, 2823
41.5 grains - 2866, 2869, 2844
42 grains - 2902, 2894, 2900

No pressure signs on any load. Cases have room for another 1-2 grains before compression. Looking for input. The last 3 groups from the AH were roughly 1”. That’s with the MagnetoSpeed and not being picky on the trigger. The 41.5 load with the HH was roughly 1”. I wasn’t necessarily shooting for groups since I had the chrono on the barrel.

Three thoughts....

1. You are wasting bullets doing it the way you are. Load 1 round in 1 grain increments until you hit pressure....then back down 1 grain and shoot for groups.

2. If you haven't hit pressure yet and you have room in the case, keep working up in safe increments. Some powders give speed / velocity, while others give better accuracy with minimal velocity compromised. Don't be afraid to try other powders.

3. Are you crimping the rounds. If not, I would consider crimping. I would start with a mild 1/8 to 1/4 crimp while looking for pressure. After I found my powder charge, I would adjust crimp to group size.

I like Benchmark’s potential… I have a jug to try in 308 one of these days. I haven’t looked at grain size, but I know we crammed 49 grains of TAC in a 308 with a bigger bullet (151 AH) taking up more space. I’d keep going up like you are, but probably only shoot one load per charge weight. Load 42.5 through 45 and see if you need to shake/tap cases or use a drop tube if you start compressing.

@jrebel, thanks for your input. I had a feeling I was wasting bullets, but I wasn’t sure. This is my first time loading Hammers. If I can get some N135 or N540, I’d like to try it as well. I’m trying to stay with something that’s temp stable. I don’t have local dealers for VV, so I’ve been hesitant to place an order for powder and pay all the fees. I would like to go to large primers instead of magnums, but with primers being extinct, so far I’ve been limited to a few magnums that I have on hand.
I do crimp the loads. My plan is to find the best velocity that is below pressure signs, then shoot for groups and tune by amount of crimp applied.

Also, that was both sample packs I had on hand. I don’t want to order more sample packs. I’d rather order 100 of whatever I’m going to shoot. Which one should I should? I know I wasn’t shooting for groups, but from throwing loads together, my groups were tighter with the 119 AH

Also, that was both sample packs I had on hand. I don’t want to order more sample packs. I’d rather order 100 of whatever I’m going to shoot. Which one should I should? I know I wasn’t shooting for groups, but from throwing loads together, my groups were tighter with the 119 AH
I think you are the only one that can answer that question based on the type of hunting you are doing. I don't think your load developments to this point illustrate which bullet will be the most accurate. I would argue that both bullets have the capability to be as accurate as the other with a complete load work up. I also think both will work for most peoples hunting purposes.....kind of a "pick your poison" if you will and go with it.

On a side note.....the 120 HH was not as accurate as the 101 hammer hunter in my rifle. With that said, it was still ridiculously accurate. Point being, it all depends on what you want and what your expectations of that rifle and round are.

Might get a sample pack of those, but my Neanderthal brain likes to be in the 120 gr range lol haha

Might get a sample pack of those, but my Neanderthal brain likes to be in the 120 gr range lol haha
Before I started shooting Mono bullets, I too liked 120+ for the 7-08. Matter of fact, my wife's 7-08 still shoots 140 grain partitions. This is also the reason I tried the 120 gr. HH first. I finally gave in and tried the 101 gr HH and won't be going back anytime soon. I would have no problem taking deer, bear, varmints.....even elk with this set up. I hope to kill a bear with this rifle next year.

Don't be afraid of the 19 gr...less..., especially when you are gaining the extra speed. The 101's in my 20" barrel are shooting well under 1/2".

Gday schmo
Jrebel has you on the right track to not waste pills
Re yesterday I done my mates rum with 182 hht total 8shots & that wasted one as 3 shot groups are irrelevant imo but that’s what he wants so he got that but I’ll corrupt him one day lol
First 5 shots
first 3 was to get to the 3350 mark as that was the goal to get him to a k & don’t worry I’ll corrupt him eventually on other pill weights & speed 🤪
Next 2 shots confirmed safety & temps to my levels
Then the 3shot group all done

so if that didn’t work I can adjust crimp or do a different powder & repeat ( minus this 3 shot group as that’s crap imo )

I’ll check up on my loads & check if your benchmark is the same as ours so could I have a pic of that powder label

Cmrizzo gave some good numbers so don’t dismiss varget either

Cheers

I don't consider 3 and 5, and even 10 shot groups a waste of bullets in the load development process, so long as you are reading data/patterns with velocity, ES/SD, and pressure.
I've had 1 of 4 pop a primer before, most likely due to slight variances in the brass selected. I take strong note of that batch of course.
One way or another you are going to end up shooting for groups going up the ladder or coming down. The more samples you have to establish data patterns the better.
My programs for first time hand loading a particular bullet:
3 round groups with 3 powder types around the similar burn rate. Ladders in a 2gr spread by 1/2 grain increments.
The winners of those go to round 2 where I will fire 5 round groups. I do appreciate ties in performance so I have a couple viable powders developed in case one powder gets discontinued or goes unobtanium in the market. (Has happened frequently the past few years)
I fire all rounds with the powder temp at close to 100F as possible. That sounds hot, but really our body temps are close to that, so kept in a pocket before firing, or in a heated truck just prior to firing helps simulate temp performance. Especially in the cold weather.

Bolt guns stop at 5rnd groups, but the ARs get a final 10 shot group to see how the gas system is handling the rounds.
The winners get a few hundred to 1000rnds loaded up for all future hunts, and for the impending zombie apocalypse. When the grid goes down, a bunch of components sitting on the shelf isn't as much use as pre-loaded ammunition. Your zombie neighbor comes crashing through the kitchen window all snarling, you need to dispatch them quick. No time to sit down and make up a zombie stash. Way behind the apocalypse prepping curve if that's the case.

Well, I do have the M5. Need a barrel for the Nucleus, though. (Already have it spec’d out). I do not have thousands of rounds ready to go, unfortunately.
C’Mon, @BFD. Two jobs, one of which has sucked my life recently, family, and all the other fun projects I have taken on since meeting you. Give a guy a break! 🤣
Speaking of…thanks again for heads up on brass. Those will be zombie loads for the 308 M5 and to burn through all those crappy blems. As I mentioned months ago, April should provide for more free time…

• Love
Reactions: BFD
Brad is too busy anticipating his Ugly Annealer to respond. He’s got 1400 cases to anneal tomorrow 🤯.
Oh, btw, here on the forum he challenged me to convince him to buy an annealer vs sticking with drill & socket. He’s awaiting its arrival. 🤣🤣🤣

Back