Tikka 7mm-08 Range Report - Need Input

Brad is too busy anticipating his Ugly Annealer to respond. He’s got 1400 cases to anneal tomorrow 🤯.
Oh, btw, here on the forum he challenged me to convince him to buy an annealer vs sticking with drill & socket. He’s awaiting its arrival. 🤣🤣🤣
Yes, thanks Schmo! It passed the feasibility test for my handloading program! Fairly inexpensive unit with lifetime warranty and cheap parts to replace anyway. Yeah, my handloading program is value based. The cheaper I can make high quality and precise ammo to include the components and equipment, the happier I am obtaining my goal! Increasing productivity while decreasing the overall chore of high volume loading is giving me a warm & fuzzy feeling too! :cool:

Thinking $18 per bottle MAP/PRO gas too expensive. I have a propane tank used for a gas grill I am gonna try to rig up. Total savings there!

Thinking the hose I have that I used to connect from the tank to a "Heater Buddy" might work. Screw right into the torch head. Tank can go under the bench.

Upon @BFD recommendation, I bought some Ramshot Tac to try in my 708. Just did a pressure ladder yesterday morning. I haven’t sat down yet to pop primers and measure everything, but groups tightened noticeably as I worked up the ladder. Started at 45 grains, and worked to 47 in .5 gr increments. Looks like the 46.5 and the 47 load are gonna be where it’s at. 0.82” on the 46.5, and 0.96” on the 47. I shot these using Rem 9-1/2 primers, and I may shoot another group with CCI200 to see if they tighten it up at all

Note: evidently I skipped the 45.5 photo when taking them. It was almost as big a group as the 45.

IMG_2128.jpegIMG_2130.jpegIMG_2126.jpegIMG_2127.jpeg

Will do! I didn’t chrono those loads since I was shooting for groups and only have a MagnetoSpeed. Anyone can feel free to PIF a radar chrono to me lol haha 😂

Using Varget, I get 3000fps with the 131HH and 3100fps with the 120HH in my 7- 08's. For my 6.5CM (similar capacities) I use Varget for the 85HH and TAC for the 97AH. Being a faster powder, I think TAC would be excellent for the Absolutes in particular. Just know that it does not seem very temperature stable to me.

This might help, 120 Hammer Hunter, 24 inch barrel, lapua case. CCI 200. 45 grains of Varget. 3240 FPS. I've switch to 118 Tipped Hammer, the same load and same speed. Strikes game like lightning. You will drop some speed with a shorter barrel, start at 43.5 and work up to pressure as others have stated. Back off half grain. My OAL is 2.75.Good luck. Using ADG brass with the 118

Before I started shooting Mono bullets, I too liked 120+ for the 7-08. Matter of fact, my wife's 7-08 still shoots 140 grain partitions. This is also the reason I tried the 120 gr. HH first. I finally gave in and tried the 101 gr HH and won't be going back anytime soon. I would have no problem taking deer, bear, varmints.....even elk with this set up. I hope to kill a bear with this rifle next year.

Don't be afraid of the 19 gr...less..., especially when you are gaining the extra speed. The 101's in my 20" barrel are shooting well under 1/2".
Go light and go fast. We hunt Whitetails with an 85 HH in a 6.5 CM 3400+ fps and it kills like lighting. Massive energy transfer takes place inside that animal. Organs you didn't hit still get blown apart.

Back