To Crimp or Not to Crimp Hammer Bullets

So is Steve suggesting it may or may not make a difference? ;)
My experience unless you have true distance to push cartridge to max range its really difficult to gather any data.
I do link to crimp gas gun only out of habit. I know how violent that cartridge moves from mag to battery. If I can eliminate any wiggle I'll take.
Recently stepped into 2 wildcats for my gas guns that I can't crimp. Paper, hogs, and coyotes haven't noticed any different.
Which goes back to my statement of "unless you have true distance to push cartridge to max range its really difficult to gather any data.

I've loaded hammers for about a dozen guys, I crimped every one of them, they shot the loads I worked up, nobody has complained. I make them shoot after I shoot, some of them are better shooters than I am. But I'll continue crimping, with a 65 to 90 thousands jump. It's worked well so far. Once they see how easy hammers are to load I don't see many of them again. Hammers are costing me money, wish Bergers showed up more often.

Im open to learn, but can only go by the results I get.
I was crimping but my group was 1.5moa. I played with seating depth testing and because the neck rim no longer landed in a PDR valley I left the crimp off that testing. Now the group is .8moa... and repeatable 2 range sessions now but with no crimping.
[/QUOTE
Its all here, all you gotta do is read it

Only one small disagreement with Steve..... 2 thousandths interference fit may be enough for the bench, but I would go 5 or 6 thousandths for hunting rounds or transporting ammo.

in any event, when I set up the die for 5 thousandths interference, I still crimp with my Lee FC die. If you use a full length bushing die for resizing, you can pick the right bushing for bench or hunting. Also, if you are running a progressive press, you set up the dies in the tool head for the caliber once and it doesn't take any more time than running rounds crimped or uncrimped. Now if you are using a single stage, you are screwed into another setup.

Back