Which Scope

TNDave59

Night Force SHV 4-14x56 MOAR or Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 Duplex? Will be purely hunting scope.

I'm with mtmuley and hydehunter.
All 3 of my big game hunting rifles have that very Leupold scope you listed. Weight is the kicker for me. The older I get the less I like packing extra weight, and Leupold has never let me down.

If you haven't purchased that 44 mm scope yet, I would definitely go with the 56 mm. There will be no comparison in how much longer that 56 will last in low light over that 44 mm.

I have compared a Leupold VX5 3-15X56 with a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Leupold VX6 4-24X52. The 56 beat them by six minutes!

Good info. I like Leupold myself as the go to brand for 30+ years.

What does six minutes entail, if I can ask. 6 minutes more in legal shooting hours, the 6 minutes that occurs 15 minutes after legal shooting hours, etc?

My new VX3HD 3.5-10x40 can take me well past legal shooting hours, thus wondering the frame of reference.

Good info. I like Leupold myself as the go to brand for 30+ years.

What does six minutes entail, if I can ask. 6 minutes more in legal shooting hours, the 6 minutes that occurs 15 minutes after legal shooting hours, etc?

My new VX3HD 3.5-10x40 can take me well past legal shooting hours, thus wondering the frame of reference.

On overcast days it can make a difference. I post what I discover for my pleasure. If someone can use the information, I am delighted.

Same thing with the bullets I use. I shoot for my fun. My psychie prefers Hammers. My next wildcat will be designed around using the Hammer Hunter 8mm 198 grainer. Totally for my fun. If anyone reads about it and enjoys the story, I'm glad for them.

A bigger objective lens will always gather more light and make a scope brighter with some clarity and low light advantages. The same is true with spotting scopes, etc. I'd say if low light situations such as cloudy days like Rich is suggesting are common, then the larger lens might be the way to go. The same would hold true if you hunt shady forest country.
That said a larger lens may require higher mounts to keep the scope from hitting the barrel. I once bought a large lens scope without realizing that fact and I was not very happy with the higher mounts. That may or may not be a big deal for others.
No doubt it's good to get all the information you can before dropping good money on a quality scope and there are plenty of experienced thinkers on this forum. Best of luck TNDave!

littlebighorn,

That is some good info. Years ago I came up with the way I decide on the height of a scope. Since I have several sets of rings I loosely mount a scope in some rings on the rifle. While holding the rifle in both hands I close my eyes and raise the rifle to my shoulder. Once it is comfortable I open my eyes. If I see the top of the scope I need higher rings. If I see the bottom of the scope I need lower rings. From that time on I have been using mediums and high rings.

There is a caveat, though. I hold all my rifle like I would a BB gun; even my .375-8Rem Mag. I don't try to get a hard "cheek weld". I guess even when it comes to looking through a scope, I do my own thing.

I have two Leupold VX6 in x44 and x50 and no real discernable difference in low light. Id go with the x44.

What i find is any discernable difference in fading light would be at longer range where i dont want to be taking long range shots with 6 minutes of light left. Fading light is proportional to decreasing distance to game IMO.

IIRC ive read somewhere you can increase light gathering by decreasing zoom. Read a good article on this subject somewhere i think by Ron Spomer if i can find it ill share.

Perhaps a larger objective would be of value for a varmint rifle...

littlebighorn,

That is some good info. Years ago I came up with the way I decide on the height of a scope. Since I have several sets of rings I loosely mount a scope in some rings on the rifle. While holding the rifle in both hands I close my eyes and raise the rifle to my shoulder. Once it is comfortable I open my eyes. If I see the top of the scope I need higher rings. If I see the bottom of the scope I need lower rings. From that time on I have been using mediums and high rings.

There is a caveat, though. I hold all my rifle like I would a BB gun; even my .375-8Rem Mag. I don't try to get a hard "cheek weld". I guess even when it comes to looking through a scope, I do my own thing.
Excellent idea for getting it right Rich. I'm a squatty old fart who likes a solid cheek weld so the higher mounts didn't feel right to me. But I agree that we all have to do our own thing to be comfortable. That's what makes life interesting!

I love my nightforce scopes and I have 3 SHV scopes. The are heavier than most other brands, but that is because they are built tougher than nails. Their higher end scopes are lighter but still heavy for other comparable scopes.

I was a diehard leupold fan for many years and still believe they make a quality product. Their warranty is great and overall a great company to do business with. I went away from Leupold when I started shooting long range and wanted turrets to dial. Leupold does not have the greatest reputation for repeatability.

If I was looking for a lightweight scope on a budget with repeatable turrets, I would look hard at the zeiss V4 4-16x44. Very lightweight, great glass and great turrets for the money.

If money is not an option, I would look hard at the NX8 4-32x50 with MOAR reticle. Hands down one of the best scopes I have ever owned or shot with.

Last edited:
Back