Winchester WLR

I have a brick that is lot #LDL479G which I have not loaded with yet. I am just finishing a brick (have about 135 left) of lot #DFL190G which has been blowing pinholes in the primers. these are WLRM. Although I don't see lot DFL190G listed in this thread, I would not use them.

@BFD 2.0
Thanks for posting. I had the same issue with Win LRM primers last year. I ruined about three or four pieces of brass and decided that was enough for me. I’ll be curious if Winchester contacts you. Back when a brick was $20, it wouldn’t have been worth pursuing an exchange. But now at $100, I believe I might contact them as well. But under the current circumstances I’m not expecting much response.

I agree, I don't expect much from Winchester. I put at least half a dozen holes in my bolt face before I realized that I wasn't over loading, it was just bad primers. I'm really leery about using my other brick now. It would sure be nice if the primer and powder market would loosen up a bit.

Y'all are going to laugh but I can tell you how to fix that. It's time consuming but I haven't had a problem since I added this to my reloading sequence.

I will agree that it tends to happen only with Winchester blue box primers.

At first I gave the blame to the 300 and 375 Remington brass but come to realize that it happens on Federal Nosler and Horn also.

I bought a Forester primer pocket uniforming tool and installed it on my RCBS case mate. I was trying to get square corners at the bottom of the primer pocket. I feel a square corner is harder for the gas to roll up around and come up the side of the primer. If you look at new unprimed brass the bottom corner will actually have a rolled radius😕
Bertram brass has a smaller primer pocket hole and the Forester tool will not even fit in it I do not do that brass with the tool first.

Now with a square Corner in the bottom I can go to procedure number two. (No laughn)
I put a good size dab of hard as Nails fingernail polish on top of a box and take a toothpick and rim the inside of the primer pocket walls and seat the primer and never look back... I've never had a problem with it affecting accuracy or standard deviation. Water proof too.

I've been doing this ever since I bought my first 375 rum and got a bolt face cut on a starting load. talk about ready to fight a rattlesnake.

I've never had a problem depriming a case. I believe it works as butterbeans crimp dye it just delays the release of pressure slightly. Have I blowed a primer since then yes but if you haven't blown a prime chasing pressure with hammers you haven't chased pressure.

I now glue in all primers Federal CCI Winchester. all of them.

Fingernail polish: as Paul Harvey used to say "now you know the rest of the story".

Have you tried the polish without squaring the pocket?
Have you found that any color nail polish works or is your process color specific? I'm not laughing, I have a full brick of blue box WLRM that I will be able to use if this works. Otherwise they are junk.
Thanks for the info!

I've always used the clear polish. I'm sure I did try it before I bought the Forester tool but after that that's all I use.

I'm interested to see if BFD 2.0 used a primer pocket uniforming tool on the one that popped.

I've always used the clear polish. I'm sure I did try it before I bought the Forester tool but after that that's all I use.

I'm interested to see if BFD 2.0 used a primer pocket uniforming tool on the one that popped.
No I don't use a uniformer tool. Lapua brass. The "one" that popped? It was about 10 of them. lol

We've had some Winchester primers that leak when others don't. We thought it was part of "the bad batch" but never pursued it farther.

Had my first day at the range starting all over with a few cartridges. I’m going Federal 215M primers across the board. They are .2105 by the calipers. (Winchester WLR and WLRM at .2095) Plug up the .2085 Lapua primer pocket nicely!

No popped primers, and I think the Fed 215M are same power as WLR. Can’t complain with this group though!
View attachment 791
Great group! Dchamp and I shot today also. I too switched to Federal 215 primers (not M though). I loaded 6.5RPM, .280 AI and .257 Wby with the 215s. Not a single failure or problem and no scored bolt heads.

Back