1886 45-70 Load Data

McHawk- since you don't mention the LEE FCD, I have a suggestion for you. Way back in the 90's when I was in my Big Bore phase (don't you just love it?) I stopped using my seating die to crimp my Marlin 1895 and the Speer 400gr. I trimmed my brass with a LEE Trimmer, loaded up as usual, but finished off with a Redding Roll Crimp die. If you think you would like to try it, I will give it to you Bud. Shoot me a PM with your address and its on its way. I just saw it in one of my shelves, so its still here. I went to a FCD when shooting a Marlin 444 with Beartooth 270 HCGC just touching the lands, which meant no crimp groove. Marshal recommended it and boy was he right! From then on, its all I use. But nothing wrong with a Roll Crimp, especially if you have a groove, ha. Let me know, I'm up/down from a Procedure on my plumbing. ha I have owned and shot 2 Browning 1886, both carbines, but one had half magazine. My old gunsmith could really tweak the trigger down to about 2 1/2 pounds! I noticed in those two 45-70s they practically had no throat, but I was told the action was long enough to run 45-90, just ream the throat out a bit. I used the Williams FP peep on mine with a 1/16" flat gold bead. Wicked. Good luck to you sir, Jim

Hey Hank, I replied to your PM and wanted the world to know that I just could not find it! What I thought was it turned out to be a different Redding die! Bummer! What you could do ( if you are not already) is trim your cases each time and seat all the bullets with the die backed off. Then screw seating stem up out of the way and adjust the die body down to crimp all as you wish. I'm sure you have heard of this if not already doing it, but thought it may help. So sorry Pard.😧

No problem. Thank you for the offer.

I have heard of crimping as a second step using the seating die, but use the Lee FC die except for 45-70 where I don't have the Lee die. The second step crimp is a good interim option. Thank you for suggesting it. It's time to buy another Lee FC die.

Rev. Jim just proved he is a generous soul and a good man.

First he offered me a crimp die he thinks he has. Then he can't find it. Then he ordered the Lee Factory Crimp die for 45-70 for me.

There is a bench for you on the firing line in the sky.

Hopefully, good deeds here on earth get repaid tenfold.

Thank you.

Back