Anyone Using 250 SH in 45-70 Lever Gun? 1895 Marlin Specs?

Hi,

Anyone Using 250 SH in 45-70 Lever Gun? 1895 Marlin Specs? I looked at the load data and only see 300 SH. Thanks in advance. 😊

I've played with that bullet a little bit in my 45-70. Powders like AA 1680, reloader 7 and IMR 4198 will all work. AA 1680 should give you the highest velocities.

I hope this helps.

I had found 4198 to be a tad slow. It was discovered by another member shooting his 1895 cowboy (I apologize Kris, I do not remember your Avatar name) that aa1680 produced the highest velocities for this combination. Since I don't have my hands on your rifle, I would say 58 grains of 4198 would be a good place to start. You should run out of room before you hit pressure.

20240218_090701.jpg

Be careful with your cartridge overall length if you're using a Marlin, they have a short throat. If you crimp in the top Groove you will Jam into the rifling. Your brass will have to be trimmed .070 of an inch to line up with the middle of the top PDR band Valley and then I'm not sure if the FCD will crimp properly on cases trimmed that short.

The issues I've just covered are one of the main reasons why I went to a 45-90 CVA. And of course the other one was to hit 3K with a 45 caliber bullet😊

💥🚀🔨☠️

Hope this helps

I had found 4198 to be a tad slow. It was discovered by another member shooting his 1895 cowboy (I apologize Kris, I do not remember your Avatar name) that aa1680 produced the highest velocities for this combination. Since I don't have my hands on your rifle, I would say 58 grains of 4198 would be a good place to start. You should run out of room before you hit pressure.

View attachment 5802

Be careful with your cartridge overall length if you're using a Marlin, they have a short throat. If you crimp in the top Groove you will Jam into the rifling. Your brass will have to be trimmed .070 of an inch to line up with the middle of the top PDR band Valley and then I'm not sure if the FCD will crimp properly on cases trimmed that short.

The issues I've just covered are one of the main reasons why I went to a 45-90 CVA. And of course the other one was to hit 3K with a 45 caliber bullet😊

💥🚀🔨☠️

Hope this helps
As always thank you for all your advice 😊

Hi,

Anyone Using 250 SH in 45-70 Lever Gun? 1895 Marlin Specs? I looked at the load data and only see 300 SH. Thanks in advance. 😊
I've been using them. I still have not worked for a max load yet. They work much better in the Marlin if you trim your cases to Hornady specs, 2.040 inches. I've been running 50 grains of H 4198 and getting 2200 fps. It is an accurate fun load.

I've been using them. I still have not worked for a max load yet. They work much better in the Marlin if you trim your cases to Hornady specs, 2.040 inches. I've been running 50 grains of H 4198 and getting 2200 fps. It is an accurate fun load.
Les, This is good news as I have a ton of the Hornady brass once fired from the 325 leverevolution. Out of curiosity, why do you like the trimmed brass vs the full length saami spec brass?

If you look on Barnes web page you can find the load info for their 250 bullet. It will get you started. I'm out of town and don't have my load info handy. Also be careful. As you might know not all 45-70 rifles are the same and can't even come close to holding pressure that others do.

Kris

If you look on Barnes web page you can find the load info for their 250 bullet. It will get you started. I'm out of town and don't have my load info handy. Also be careful. As you might know not all 45-70 rifles are the same and can't even come close to holding pressure that others do.

Kris
Thank you, that will get me started! Have a safe trip 🙏🙏🙏

Back