20 Minutes

If it was a lion or a pack of coyotes you might have cause for concern.
Or if that was your precious fawn walking ahead of the coyote.

Coyotes diets are mainly rodents except for fawn season. They will take an (mature) injured deer but more often in packs not a lone dog.

I’ve seen a doe chase off two coyotes that were trying to get her fawns. They didn’t stand a chance with mama stomping at them.

A healthy buck vs one coyote isn’t resulting in a dead buck.

Not certain if this will post a gif here but a lone yote chasing down a doe on my trailcam....
20160720_predator.gif

Video isn't a large buck, but I've seen such. I "think" post rut, and a worn out buck, given a little snow, it's the coyotes turn

They get a little bigger up north in general. One chase doesn't necessarily conclude a hunt in my experience, over the course of a winter a couple of chases to wear an animal down, then it's the dinner bell. Even a small house dog may run a deer to exhaustion, or nip an ankle enough for a deer to be on its last legs (pun intended).

I love to hear them howl, I dont mind them but I know they can keep deer populations from recovering. Ive read that hunting them doesnt help deer populations, but I also suspect thats only if deer populations are already healthy.... not the case in my state.

Back