2023 Daily Hunt Reports

Weather is trying to give us a break so I hope to be going down south to do some long range practice next week. Will be trying to let some light into a couple doodads while I'm there so I can make some sausage.

Yesterday we saw 10 deer in the morning, 3 legal bucks. The better one was just off the public ground so he got a pass for now. Think we left around 2.

This morning we saw a dozen or so deer, one small legal and one spike chasing a doe. šŸ‘€
The forkie gave a good lip curl as he dogged her.
Saw a handful of coyotes and a bobcat as well. Left at noon.

Lots of green acorns around.
Fingers crossed this weather forecast holds up. Shaping up to be a good šŸ¦Œseason.

Friday I tried a new spot. Looked great when I got there. Weather was cold cloudy and windy. Didnā€™t see anything til 7:45a when a forked horn buck showed up at 400yds.
Later a doe and two fawns came through same spot so I scanned agin for the buck, picked up a second smaller forkie. So 5 deer for the half day.

Saturday we had some more success. Buddy and I went to a spot thatā€™s been pretty generous to us in the past few years. This was no exception. Zero deer til probably about 9a when we finally saw a couple does. Was around 11a when I was eating a pb and honey sandwich and glance to my left 200yds on the open hill was a decent buck. Behind him a smaller one. No shot opportunities before they slipped away into the oaks. Nothing til 1:30p when I thought I saw a bear. Turned out to be a dark bodied buck at 400yds. He hit the ground at 1:35p. 110g hunter from his 270wsm.
IMG_5688.jpeg

Sunday we went back to the spot from Friday. Saw 3 does. Called it around 1p. Shouldā€™ve stayed as a light rain came in for the evening.

Counted 4 road kill on the way to the range today šŸ˜©. Still counting the days until opener. Both rifles are zeroed but didnā€˜t run any ladders for load development (went with others)

Got out this evening. Saw 8 does n fawns. Watched a doe dig a bed and lay in it all evening.

Friday I did a half day. Nothing til after 1p. I jumped a doe while walking out. Saw more deer on public land while driving home.

Saturday full day sit. Two does and an abandoned fawn. Thing was scared for its life. Saw it 4 times, 3 times it was running rampant. Iā€™ve watched a lot of deer behavior and know what a fawn running around playfully looks like. This wasnā€™t it. The only time it didnā€™t act that way was when it should have, while watering. This was same place I saw the lion during archery season.

That would be hard to watch. Maybe the lion took the mom. I hope the fawn survives, but reality is harsh. Ive been meaning to buy a really nice predator call to start hunting lions.

Ive been busy this past year switching all my rifles to Hammer handloads, that project is pretty much wrapped up. After fall hunting season and after Christmas Im planning on doing some cougar hunting. Not certain how that will go (dont know anything about it other than to call them in). I plan to harvest too, if I dont like it I will turn it all into pepperoni.

Cougar is one of the mildest tasting game meats I have every tasted. I was surprised!
Ive heard it is good, I actually look forward to trying it and probably will like it. Its just not something Ive ever considered until recently when I started using game cams and noticed a fawn disappear the same time a cougar did.

Went up for the opener of my second buck tag. Three and a half days we saw 30 deer and three bear. Three bucks way out in no manā€™s land. Two we could tell were legal. One was a 16-17ā€ wide forkie from what we could see.
Got some rain on the first two days and on the third we saw a few groups of migrating specks. Last day was smoky and hot.

Back