2023 Daily Hunt Reports

Since north coast blacktails dont migrate, i like to see fresh rubs... tells me a buck is in that area. The rubs will be clustered between bed and forage/water.

Last year i noticed less rubs. It could be as simple as the buck has moved over the ridge... but its just different than what ive seen in season in the past.
This is probably a good subject for the blacktail strategies thread..

Is that a deer?

I’d seen gray and charcoal stumps and logs all morning, through the rain, fog, and forest. I backed up a step and thought the short upright part might be a neck, so I watched. An ear flicked! But antlers? I watched longer. The head turned away and there were antlers! Spike or what? Fourth day of the general season but my first time out. Couldn’t line up anyone to come along, but I was too eager to wait, so I went alone. This little buck was bedded about 50 yards off the logging road, in timber and brush, while it rained off and on all morning, hard or light. He was watching downhill or to his right. Not at all in my direction. When he’d looked away, I’d slowly dropped to my knee to be able quickly to shoot. I quietly laid down my rifle, to glass him. He had small forks. He would have been legal last year, and certainly was under this year’s “any visible antler” rule. These antlers were not very high above his ears and he didn’t seem as large bodied as I was hoping. But- time for true confessions- I have never hunted alone and started thinking that all the fun of gutting him and getting him to my rig over a mile away by myself was more fun than one old guy deserved to horde. So I watched him until the foot I was sitting on started to ache. As I rose I clanked something and he riveted his attention my direction. Then he got up and I heard a second one that then came across his spot and they both trotted off, verifying their black-tails.

For me, this was thrilling. I have hunted blacktail for only 5 seasons, the first three with my stepson, ,last two with others. This was sort of a prove it to myself that I could do it. So now I have a few more weeks of season and I hope for a little larger animal and a buddy to share the time. I’ve been smiling all day!

Santiam - Great write-up. All you blacktail hunters on the forum are making me miss living in Southern Oregon. One thought for you. Learn the "no gut" method of field dressing your deer. It is a lot easier to get your meat out in four nice bundles. I've been doing it that way now for the past 10 years. Wyoming Fish and Game has a good video on how to do it.

Santiam - Great write-up. All you blacktail hunters on the forum are making me miss living in Southern Oregon. One thought for you. Learn the "no gut" method of field dressing your deer. It is a lot easier to get your meat out in four nice bundles. I've been doing it that way now for the past 10 years. Wyoming Fish and Game has a good video on how to do it.
Cool, thanks, I'll take a look! And south, the BTs are bigger I hear.

I get closer to these grey ghosts when I hunt solo but then its a battle of the mind with the solitude. Put that with a grey, cold, miserably wet brush rainy day and the mind starts to wander and ask why your there.
That was a good write up Santiam, really captures being there.
1696996098484.jpeg
(north coast range)

Gday Santiam
Love that write up & congrats on your adventure & the journey your taking us along with you on writing like that

Thank you sir
Cheers

My son in law Buck dumped a good one yesterday. He was lucky enough to draw an extra black tail premium tag this year and has passed on some nice ones including this one earlier last week before general season opener. Not this time!! Not a Hammer kill but I think worthy to post here
Since several Black tail hunters are watching.IMG_6640.jpeg

If he got that one in the north coast area thats a huge one. Those Premium tags as like unicorns.

Not north coast south Between Albany Eugene. They have scored on some good one's last couple year's.

Reactions: les
Many years ago (30ish) my dad and I hunted around the Burnt Woods area. That little store always had a full wall of really nice buck photos back then. We did better down there (than close to pdx) but ive been focusing on the Trask unit now since i lost my dad and been mostly hunting solo day trips from the house. (I finally picked up a reliable hunting partner but only in the last year. )
I put that (imo) in the north coast range but it is better blacktail hunting at the bottom end of it. The farther from Portland the better...

Last edited:
Many years ago (30ish) my dad and I hunted around the Burnt Woods area. That little store always had a full wall of really nice bucks back then. We did better down there (than close to pdx) but ive been focusing on the Trask unit now since i lost my dad and been mostly hunting solo day trips from the house. (I finally picked up a reliable hunting partner but only in the last year. )
I put that (imo) in the north coast range but it is better blacktail hunting at the bottom end of it. The farther from Portland the better...
Good hunting partner's are hard to find for sure! Its all about location, I have hunted the Trask a lot over the year's, find a sweet spot with few hunter's and it can be good as it can get. I just keep losing those spot's, every year it's like I have to start over! oh well just rambling :)

Good hunting partner's are hard to find for sure! Its all about location, I have hunted the Trask a lot over the year's, find a sweet spot with few hunter's and it can be good as it can get. I just keep losing those spot's, every year it's like I have to start over! oh well just rambling :)
Im running into the same thing. Ive already given up on one of my spots.
Each summer i try to scout and add a new spot. But exploring doesnt always turn one out. Just gotta keep at it.

I get closer to these grey ghosts when I hunt solo but then its a battle of the mind with the solitude. Put that with a grey, cold, miserably wet brush rainy day and the mind starts to wander and ask why your there.
That was a good write up Santiam, really captures being there.
View attachment 3386
(north coast range)
Thanks, Koda. Your pic is the Coast Range, for sure! Just like where I was, and will be again!

Gday Santiam
Love that write up & congrats on your adventure & the journey your taking us along with you on writing like that

Thank you sir
Cheers
Thanks, Farleg. It's a little intimidating to put a coming-of-age story like that out here with all you expert hunters, but then again, you all'd understand better than anyone! Thanks again. (And I read all your posts and have learned tons, thanks!)

My son in law Buck dumped a good one yesterday. He was lucky enough to draw an extra black tail premium tag this year and has passed on some nice ones including this one earlier last week before general season opener. Not this time!! Not a Hammer kill but I think worthy to post here
Since several Black tail hunters are watching.View attachment 3388
In case anyone wondered, THAT is a trophy blacktail, in any blacktail hunter's book. Congratulations.

Back