2023 Daily Hunt Reports

30 deer in 3 days... I'll be lucky to see one doe all weekend up here in this north coast jungle. The weather here is supposed to rain all next week so this will help. Opening day is still 2 weekends away.
We did a final zero last weekend in anticipation. My Grendel handload is dialed out to 300yds for deer. My 280ai handload I rang my gong consistently at 400yds. Both Hammer handloads. Next 2 weekends will be family time cause Im about to disappear come Oct.

Went back out Thursday morning to hunt my first tag. Had 4 days to get it done. Started a little late and bumped 3 deer from my glassing knob. Spent the morning glassing and watching some small bucks chase does until about 9a when I saw a legal buck at 700yds. It was too windy and ultimately he slipped out of sight when I wasn’t looking as the video shows😑. After that I didn’t see much til about 11a when I noticed a bigger darker bodied deer with a doe and fawn I’d seen earlier. Sure enough it was a good buck. Things didn’t go as expected but I bagged the buck at 488yds with the 270wsm and 156hh. A second good forked horn buck came by during the day as well. Saw a dozen deer. 5 bucks. Three were legal. Decent rut activity for us this year. That’s a wrap for my first tag. Will continue to document my second buck tag and bear tag (hopefully) as well. Full story in big game success thread.

IMG_5762.jpegIMG_5783.jpeg
View attachment IMG_5753.mov

Great write-up Meatbuck! Congratulations on such a nice buck and sounds like a thrilling hunt! It definitely confirms that a larger caliber gives you a lot more versatility than smaller ones. I'm looking forward to rifle season in a couple of weeks.

Tuesday morning we got back after it. Slept in til 10a. Glassed out the normal stuff for a couple of hours. Didn’t see anything until 1:30p when I spotted this guy. My son did the rest. 156hh 220yds. Only deer we saw. Full story in the 2023 big game success thread.

IMG_5841.jpegIMG_5808.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice buck congrats to the kid and you!! I think I’m gonna have to get some glasses like his and a few slim Jim’s🤣🤣

I was looking forward to a great bow season for elk this year. I ended up with an eye infection and missed most of the planned week to hunt. My hunting partner Josh scored a nice bull today. I still have two deer tags this year so all hope isn't lost.

Elk23.jpg

Nice buck congrats to the kid and you!! I think I’m gonna have to get some glasses like his and a few slim Jim’s🤣🤣
We were so close to camp that we stopped there to drop gear and grabbed our sunglasses from the truck. Clouds had just broke for the day. The usual when there’s meat to be hauled.

Ooooohh yeeaaahhhhh!!!

Not the success story I was hoping for, but here goes:

My buddy and I just got back from WY elk hunt. He had a bull tag, and I had a cow tag. We started glassing the first morning at dawn hoping to see some elk making their way out of the alfalfa pivot, but no luck. So we pack up and hike to the top of a butte. We spot a pretty nice bull bedded down with 5 cows 1500+ yards away. We picked our way down through the brush until we were about 700 yards away. We were able to size him up a little better, and my buddy decided he wanted to stalk closer to take a shot. He's getting over back surgery and it was a pretty representative bull for the area, so no use wasting time. We made our way down into the draw, and luckily there was a rock outcropping about 300 yards away that we set up on for the shot. The bull was at 280, and the cows were bedded in the mahogany 20 yards above/behind him.

The bull stood up, and started walking up toward the cows. I happened to be watching the bull through my scope when I heard a shot, and the bull fell straight down. The cows stood up and started running left across the face of the hill. I chose one and pulled the trigger, and I thought I heard a nice wallop. All 5 cows kept running and jumped over the fence onto an adjacent property, none acted like they were hit. Maybe I missed? Anyway, I went and gave my friend a high five, and he said "I thought you hit that cow." Me too, but they all ran off pretty well.

Anyway, we go up and lay hands on his bull. A nice 5x6 with cool little devils points. He's super excited and so am I. We take some pictures and start field dressing him. He was hit with a 162 gr ELD-X out of a 280AI. MV of 2950, impact velocity of 2550ish. He was quartering away and slightly uphill, and the bullet hit him just above his front shoulder and went up into the base of his neck. No exit, but DRT. Once we got the lungs and heart out, they weren't contused, and the bullet hadn't entered his chest cavity.

I walk up the hill to look around and I notice some blood right at the fence line where the cows jumped over. Hm. So we load the bull into the back of the truck and head out to get some cell service. We call the adjacent landowner, but no answer. Long story short, we don't hear back from the landowner until later that night, and he gives us permission to go look for the cow. We go back this morning, and see some magpies in the brush about half mile away, and I think, "No way she made it that far." We head over and find the carcass. Completely picked clean. Not a speck of flesh, guts, or hide left. Just some fur and bones. There was fresh rumen contents, so I'm sure it was the cow I hit. No way a few coyotes did that overnight. Anyone else ever see that after one night?

I was shooting the 125 HHT out of my 6.5 PRC, and unfortunately I have no data to provide the group in terms of terminal ballistics. I have no idea where I hit her (she was on the run at 300 yards), but we had a good blood trail, and she ran over half a mile after being hit.

In the attached pic with the rifle, the bull was bedded right at the edge of the grass and the mahogany (basically just above my muzzle), and the cows were above him. Even though I didn't recover my cow, I still had a great hunt and got to spend time in the outdoors doing what I love with people I enjoy spending time with.

Attachments

• IMG_9221.jpg
    IMG_9221.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9237.jpg
    IMG_9237.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9280.jpg
    IMG_9280.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9223.jpg
    IMG_9223.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 16
discosteve congrats to your hunting partner on a fine Bull elk👍sorry to hear you didn’t score your elk.. Hard to believe the one you shot if that was the one you found was picked that clean that quick🤷‍♂️

Gday disco
Congrats on your buddy’s bull & the time you spent together is precious

Nice impact velocity on the eldx ( I personally don’t like them much higher than 2700 for what that’s worth) & am I correct in assuming that was a spine shot ?

Now the bad one
Running shots are the hardest to execute especially as distance increases & got no words for how sorry I am on the loss

Only thing I can add for the future if you considers this shot again is rolling tyres are great for muscle memory
start @ 50 & increase to what ever you would like to do distance wise along with various speeds & a spotter is valuable on these practices as distance gets out especially & if your interested in trying that out or anyone else I’ll be more than happy to describe better
Really not many harder shots than what you took imo

I know nothing of how quickly your birds & yotes etc can strip a carcass
But in Tassie I’ve seen our wedge tail eagles strip a carcass In 6 hrs with help from crows but they leave bits of hide as that thing of your is bare

Now northern Aussie we have a smaller bird of prey that will congregate on carcasses in big numbers & they are incredible on how quickly they can turn a carcass to bones but once again hide is present in patches even with wild dogs taking their bits & pieces

Africa we were in a area around howick that had a vulture feeding area that my mate supplied the carcasses ( these were free birds not caged) & man those things were incredible @ stripping critters to the bone but we did open them up for access after we shot them

So on that skeleton I’m lost on if your birds & yotes can do that & I’ll go with Les on what he’s seen as being better information than mine

Now I’ve zoomed in the best I can on my phone & will on the iPad later for a better look but I can’t see anything that shows me where a pill has broke a rib , now it could be a low rib brisket shot but a wallop doesn’t sound like that shot along with the animals non reaction

Left side of elk should be impact side correct ?? Not that it matters to much as if broadside that pill would most likely exit I’d assume based off buff cows but no experience with elk only elk hybrids

So we can go between the ribs no worries but to get both sides between ribs is harder not impossible though & I can’t see all off the far side ones let alone not all of them there & the sound of a wallop & no reaction I’m leaning more as a gut shot as on the left you’ve impacted the paunch on impact & if this is so the shank probably exited catching some liver or a main vein -artery giving you the bit of blood you saw hence the loud enough report back to you from that distance & also could have been a impact in front of hams also catching a main blood vessel

What was the colour of that blood & any gut material in with it ( that’s hard to see sometimes)

The distance travelled also leads itself to a non chest cavity shot when I run the impact numbers on what that pill has done damage wise on critters yet it may have also landed in no man’s land just clipping top of lungs but once again no ribs showing impacts & the petal pattern should show up here

Really I’m lost on what happened & these are the ones I’d love to know what did happen & as reluctant as I am to say it it’s one that we will most likely never know

But thanks for sharing & your honesty is one that should be complimented on
😎👍
What has happened has happened & that we should move on from

Cheers

Very nice response Farleg! As you say we can only speculate. I wasn't going to say it but from all the data given, I agree it sounds like it was gut shot. I don't know anyone with who has hunted a long time that hasn't had the experience! The real shame is that he couldn't get on the private property right away. I'm not sure what part of Wyoming, but wolves are a possibility too. Disco I disagree that you were not successful! As one who hunts elk every year, it is a team sport. I hope your buddy does the ethical thing and shares the meat. Your home safe and there should be meat in the freezer! As Farleg said, what happened has happened! Lessons learned, memories made, and you got to get out in nature!

As I said before, moving shots are tough! Your looking at a flight time of about .3 seconds. I don't have all the numbers like exact yards, angle, and wind, but just doing a rough calculation based on the 300 yards, your looking at a lead of 7-9 feet on the cow. I share this as a learning opportunity. I had two bucks running 11 years ago. I shot at the lead buck and drilled the one behind in the chest! I thought the front of the chest on the lead buck was good enough. I guess it was if I had been shooting at the second buck, not the first. This is the first time I have admitted it. My hunting partner was right next to me, and I kept my mouth shut!

Thanks for all the replies!

@Farleg - Yes, impact side was on the left. I picked through the bones trying to find a rib or anything that would have indicated a hit, but couldn't find anything. My buddy thought I was crazy with how long I scrutinized the skeleton. The 2 rear legs were attached with the pelvis about 10 feet away from the skull/spine/ribs. I brought them closer together for the picture. There was another area about 20 feet away with gut contents and lots of fur where I think she died. Never found the front legs/scapulae. I was very skeptical at first that it was my cow, but that's right where she ran, and as I mentioned there was fresh rumen contents and the spinal cord was still wet. And yes, a base of neck spine shot on the bull.

The blood trail was bright red, but not frothy. Didn't see any bits of lung or gut material. There was blood on both sides of the blood trail, suggesting the shank exited and she was bleeding from both sides. Had I hit her in the chest cavity, I sincerely doubt she would have made it that far, so my assumption is a gut shot as well. We were kinda near Chugwater, and I haven't heard of any wolves around there. But I think they have a TON of predators. I didn't see a single rabbit running around. Saw lots of golden eagles, a few coyotes, and lots of crows and magpies.

@gltaylor - thanks for relaying your story. I certainly didn't lead her by 7-9 feet, so that also leads me to believe that I hit her far back. She was running just fine so probably not in either hind quarter. Heck, 3 of the 5 of them were running pretty close together, so I might not have hit the one I was aiming at either!!

Opening weekend...

Saw one doe is all in heavy dark timber. Checked game cams, pulled one only 1 button buck since July in that spot, several visits by a nice bobcat (left the one cam with all the elk...). Hunted deep timber off trail, plus glassed a nice clearcut sunset then sunrise but saw nothing. Saw only one fresh buck rub... very discouraging to not find more fresh rubs.
Oregon north coast range.
cleardot.gif

Opening weekend...

Saw one doe is all in heavy dark timber. Checked game cams, pulled one only 1 button buck since July in that spot, several visits by a nice bobcat (left the one cam with all the elk...). Hunted deep timber off trail, plus glassed a nice clearcut sunset then sunrise but saw nothing. Saw only one fresh buck rub... very discouraging to not find more fresh rubs.
Oregon north coast range.
cleardot.gif
Got into the High Cascades a few weeks ago for a couple days with a buddy- at the end of 3 days we saw a deer! A spike, I passed. So I'll get out mid-week, into the coast range a couple hundred south of you. Very hopeful.

Got into the High Cascades a few weeks ago for a couple days with a buddy- at the end of 3 days we saw a deer! A spike, I passed. So I'll get out mid-week, into the coast range a couple hundred south of you. Very hopeful.
Once I burn my preference points out east I plan to get that High Cascade tag, its a good deal and I have a place in mind to hunt I tried several years ago.
The closer you get to California the better the blacktail hunting I hear. The farthest south Ive hunted is the Roseburg area but that was private land, so I cant compare other than we mostly did ok filling tags on the private land.

My opening black tail weekend was pretty dismal! although I did not put a lot of effort into it after chasing elk for a month. A few hour’s each morning with a lot of other hunter’s!! mostly looking for area’s with decent deer and glassing cuts and edges of them and in small Timber patch’s. Koda I never see alot of buck hooks rubs early I think if you got deep in reprod you would see more! Probably 3 weeks they will be more visible because they are traveling hard during rut..

Koda I never see alot of buck hooks rubs early I think if you got deep in reprod you would see more! Probably 3 weeks they will be more visible because they are traveling hard during rut..
Except the velvet is gone by now.

I did see (only) one fresh rub in a new spot. Super brush over there I got very tangled up navigating thru it all. Id have to work on this spot some more to learn the access points and hopefully find adjecent rubs to pattern... ( if one can even pattern a blacktail).

Last year was the same, difficult time finding rubs. Ive seen fresh rubs in past years opening weekend... but weve had an unusually hot dry summer last year so maybe your right the rubs are behind schedule a little bit. I will keep a hopeful eye out for some more to show up.

They are hard horned now. I guess my point is I really never put much stock into late summer early fall rub's these deer have different habit's when
they are shedding there velvet and your just not seeing them.

Just like a Rosey elk early Hook's/Rub's harder to see then when in full rut because of where there living. They will rub on Viney maple which is hard to see when your fighting your way thru it.. Just saying find a bunch of girl's and the boy's will show up sooner or later. Good luck all !!

Back