2023 Fishing Success Thread

71354448216__A3F92BAE-0058-42C5-A4A9-79DF650883CA.jpeg
I’ve done less fishing this year than any I can remember. But a few weeks back I took a buddy on his maiden river kayak float to the Little Red River in north central Arkansas. This is a river I grew up trout fishing and learned to fly fish on. It once held the world record brown trout and has swapped state records with another tailwater, the White River. I guess the founders weren’t really imaginative when it came to naming rivers.

This was my first trip back in 15 or so years. And I’ll never go back. The river I used to love is now lined with homes to the point where a guy can’t take a leak without fear of being seen or even scored by flash cards. Every shoal was lined with fishermen and every bend hosted other kayakers feigning as fishermen but only prolific in shattering the once peaceful silence.

We caught a few small rainbows and managed a good bit of fellowship and laughs but my heart kept wandering back to the late 80s and early 90s when it was still somewhat of a hidden treasure and I could drift a sow bug behind a downed tree for a brown trout.

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Don’t know if there’s trout in it, but the Mulberry River further West in AR is beautiful, still untouched, and a fun kayak trip.
Mulberry is great, no trout but everything else. I fished the Long Pool stretch a time or two in college. Been fishing the western Arkansas rivers mostly with a few trips to the Buffalo NR and Crooked Creek. Smallies galore.

View attachment 2949
I’ve done less fishing this year than any I can remember. But a few weeks back I took a buddy on his maiden river kayak float to the Little Red River in north central Arkansas. This is a river I grew up trout fishing and learned to fly fish on. It once held the world record brown trout and has swapped state records with another tailwater, the White River. I guess the founders weren’t really imaginative when it came to naming rivers.
Lot's of things were renamed when women became part of the western experience. Prior to that there were fewer ratings in the naming process.

There used to be a list of some of those that were changed for PC reasons.

Back