270 WSM vs 300 WSM vs .243 Win

ua26fitter

Hammer Time Executive member
We are planning to do an out of state family deer hunt next year the week of Thanksgiving. Our plan is to hunt all week and do a big meal in camp for Thanksgiving day. Just the wife and 3 kids.
I've got 1 rifle that is suitable for the kids to carry. The plan is to buy 1 or 2 more rifles. We have looked at a few and done some research. We are pretty set on the Tikka T3X in stainless possibly with a muzzle brake but can't decide on cartridge.
I'm torn between 300 wsm, 270 WSM and .243 Win
My wife had a 300 wsm years ago and we sold it. She has always wanted another.
I know it's a Chevy vs Ford thing.
We plan more hunts later so possibly game bigger than deer such as elk.
I'm not familiar with these cartridges with hammers loaded in them. What's going to provide low recoil and shoot flat out to 3 or maybe 400 yards? What hammer would you run?
I'm not concerned with finding brass for the 270 wsm. I can get ADG in 300 WSM and form it. Just looking for easy to shoot and kill well for the kids. Maybe a 300 wsm for the wife and a 270 wsm for the kids but then it would be cool to all choot the same cartridge and load if possible.

Thoughts?

Kris

If it was me I’d be going 270 wsm out of those choices, key reason is recoil, I can handle recoil and focus through recoil but not if it’s a scoped rifle, a 300 win mag spoiled that for me. Also there’s enough horsepower in that 270 that it will ultimately boil down to making a good shot, especially given hammer bullets! Wsm’s are a good fit with the T3x👍🚀🚀

How much recoil difference is there? If I load a light bullet in the 300 wsm and the same in the 270 wsm.
Personally I'm a huge 30 cal nut. I own all 30 cal rifles other than some 22 cal rim fire and a 45-70 . Going with a smaller caliber is really stepping out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to focus on what they will shoot well and perform well on game.
I'm leaning towards the 270 wsm but just want to make sure I'm not leaving to much on the table with the 300 wsm. They are teenagers.

What hammer should I run in a 270 wsm or even a 300wsm ?

Let the wife pick hers.

Lighter weight bullets in .308 are having a good record on elk size animals. Reduced recoil.

270 WSM should be good with bullets in the 120 +/- range, and depending on kids should be useable.

How much recoil difference is there? If I load a light bullet in the 300 wsm and the same in the 270 wsm.
Personally I'm a huge 30 cal nut. I own all 30 cal rifles other than some 22 cal rim fire and a 45-70 . Going with a smaller caliber is really stepping out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to focus on what they will shoot well and perform well on game.
I'm leaning towards the 270 wsm but just want to make sure I'm not leaving to much on the table with the 300 wsm. They are teenagers.

What hammer should I run in a 270 wsm or even a 300wsm ?
I’ve only ever used 270wsm and 243win since age 13. At a certain point I stopped taking the 243. I hunt in California where terrain is open and shots are often to 500yds+ so always felt better about having the wsm.

Now throw hammers in the mix and the 243 is back in business. My son and buddy have used it most recently to take blacktails at 300 and 355yds with the 70g hunter @3620fps mv 22” 1-10.175” twist. I bang flopped a coyote at about 100yds with it too.

I’d say if the kids are only gonna use the 243 for a couple seasons maybe just got to the wsm right away. If they’re young enough to get your moneys worth out of the 243, go that route. Either way you can work up a lightweight load for them.

55-70hh 243win
90-100hh 270wsm
137hh or maybe the new 138hht 300wsm

My buddy put two bucks down with the 110g hunter in 270wsm this season at 400 and 515yds. Stories and videos are around here somewheres. Mv3680fps.

The three of us have several kills to 500yds on blacktails with the 156g hunter out of the 270wsm. Lilja 26” 1-8 twist bbls on our 270wsm builds.

What’s the available twist rates for the rifles you are looking into? That’s going to be your determining factor for bullet weight on the heavy end.

If you got custom build you can get a heavier bbl, brake and stock to help the kids shoot the wsms. Just cuts down on off hand shots, which for a kid, probably aren’t the best to take anyhow.

My vote is for 270wsm, just do something to reduce recoil for the youngsters. 👍🏻

I'm a Tikka fan, so I think the T3X is great. I've got a 300 WSM that I love and it's a great elk rifle. For the wife and kids, how about a 7mm'08? Although not the go-to elk rifle, my family has killed more elk with 7'08's than any other cartridge. My 29 year old son just blew the heart out of a bull with his 3 weeks ago (120gr HH). Light recoil, more diameter than the 270 or 243. Load it up with 120 HH or 132 HHT and you're good to go easily out to 400 yds. Common cartridge, shouldn't be hard to find brass. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• IMG_9241.jpeg
    IMG_9241.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
We are planning to do an out of state family deer hunt next year the week of Thanksgiving. Our plan is to hunt all week and do a big meal in camp for Thanksgiving day. Just the wife and 3 kids.
I've got 1 rifle that is suitable for the kids to carry. The plan is to buy 1 or 2 more rifles. We have looked at a few and done some research. We are pretty set on the Tikka T3X in stainless possibly with a muzzle brake but can't decide on cartridge.
I know it's a Chevy vs Ford thing.
We plan more hunts later so possibly game bigger than deer such as elk.
I'm not familiar with these cartridges with hammers loaded in them. What's going to provide low recoil and shoot flat out to 3 or maybe 400 yards? What hammer would you run?
I'm not concerned with finding brass for the 270 wsm. I can get ADG in 300 WSM and form it. Just looking for easy to shoot and kill well for the kids. Maybe a 300 wsm for the wife and a 270 wsm for the kids but then it would be cool to all choot the same cartridge and load if possible.

Thoughts?

Kris
Kris - I am really enjoying the 300 WSM. With a brake it doesn't kick much at all. I'm just going to talk out loud. When my son was 12 I bought matching 308 Winchesters for us to hunt together with. It was a lot of fun! I'd take a 308 over a 7mm/08. For the kids, I would load up the 138fHHT or the 137HH for deer and even for elk. I'd stay away from the 243 for deer at the ranges you are talking about. I can't believe nobody else has mentioned the 308. It is a great round.

Pick the one you want and go for it. 124 grain Hammers in a 30 cal hit WAY above their pay grade with very little recoil. Load it a little light if needed. The 270 or 300 WSM will do you well for anything in North America. A well balanced rifle that fits well is more important than which cartridge. The 243 is a great deer rifle although light for elk size critters you don't have to go much larger. Europeans have been killing moose and caribou for over 100 years with the 6.5x55.

Have fun

Regards

They are teenagers.
300 wsm for everyone!
You get a 300wsm
You get a 300wsm
You get a 300wsm.
🤣🤣🤣
seriously though

Get them a good 5 port brake and start them off with some lite starter loads.
A great brake is a ultradyne Apollo 5 port.
Great on recoil reduction and very reasonable $
Practice alot if possible.
The 300wsm is a way to keep everything simple, bullets, primers, brass.
137hh, 138hht for deer.
Bump to 154hht, 163hht for elk some day.
2 loads for 3 rifles.

@ua26fitter, I didn’t mean the 300 to be for the kids. For the wife maybe, since she liked the one she had before. You mentioned being capable for elk. While a .243 can most definitely kill an elk, I wouldn’t choose to chase them with one lol. I’m not a .270 guy, and the 300 WSM has my attention. It can be loaded for phenomenal performance.

6.5 Creedmoor shooting 85gr Hammer Hunter over Winchester StaBall Match got me over 3400 fps with a 20” barrel. Add 3” more barrel and you are looking at 3500 fps. Light recoil and absolutely deadly on deer sized game.

Among the calibers the OP is interested in I would get the 270wsm.

Other calibers that are lighter recoiling but suitable for elk are..
7mm08. Dont own one but it has a great reputation...
25-06, own one and swear by it. A little light for elk but many people swear by it.
6.5 Creedmore. Dont own one but ballistically its an incredible do all cartridge and easy to reload for.

Back