270 WSM vs 300 WSM vs .243 Win

The 270 WSM would be a great choice. Since you reload you can really lower the recoil with using lighter bullets. If you want the option to go heavy later then make sure to get a fast twist barrel. I have not gotten into building custom guns and so I went with a 6.8 Western because it already came factory with 7.5" twist. Going to work up a load with the .277 160gr HHT soon. For my "kid" I started with .243 and 85gr TSX on 10" twist. Moved him up to .308 with 130gr TTSX on 10" twist. Now he is going to 280AI with probably 132gr HHT on 9" twist.

@Carsyn.22 ,
The SAUM has a magnum boltface. It won't work with your 243 bolt. As mentioned above, the 6/284 would give you more horsepower and still use your std boltface.

@Carsyn.22 ,
The SAUM has a magnum boltface. It won't work with your 243 bolt. As mentioned above, the 6/284 would give you more horsepower and still use your std boltface.
You are correct gl , I should maybe clarify, my m70 is 243 and would need a smith to open the bolt face, I’m not likely to do that, however I do have a project gun with swapable bolt heads 783 Short action, main problem is finding parts, hopefully that becomes easier now as I heard Remington has reintroduced it so parts hopefully become available again, this thing has been hibernating too long.
This won’t be a quick project though, between a young family, acerage, and hopefully some evening seminary classes in fall I don’t have near as much time for hobbies as I used to.

Edit to add, when the time comes I will ask you more about the 284 based cartridges.

Back