338/06 QL Data for 175 HH anyone?

RevJim

Hammer Time Executive member
I just bought a wonderful little Wby ULwt 338-06 A-Square. 24" barrel. I neck up Winchester and Lapua brass. I want to push this 175 to 63K and see what I get, any help? Jim

**Ammoguide had a couple good loads...56 with IMR 4895 and 59 Varget.

**P.S. This was with Barnes 175X. Hammers can "almost always" be pushed faster...I'm trying the IMR 4895 first up to 57

Last edited:
There's a little data in the spreadsheets, but nothing below 205 gr. (338/06 Sherman)

Last edited:
Sorry, the velocities in Ammoguide were right at 2980fps for both powders guys. ( Winchester cases, CCI 200) If I ever wanted "more" out of my 338-06, I would go the Sherman/Gibbs myself. However, I only have one good eye ( my left retina took a year and four procedures to repair ha) I stopped using my 35 Whelen AI even. I had used two loads for over 20 yrs, the original 250/200X bullets, in new fireformed brass. Never had an issue. BUT...QL showed both to be 72-74K! Since they were both outstanding killers, I couldn't make myself slow them down any, ha. So went different cartridge for the experience, the 358 Norma. But ObammaCare bit me, and the rifle was sold back then. Since then, my shoulders have gotten "sore" lol, I like the milder Mediums. I have also found I like my rifles "lighter", hey, life is short, right? :}
t

Hey bro Taylor, I'd love to find some 1# N550! ha But I do have some N560 and N160 or 165. Thanks for the welcome alg!
So far I have only shot the 175 in the 338WM I had before with 74gr R16. Sub MOA for three . I'm going to do a workup with H4895 with my remaining bullets. I have some 282 SH to try in it later, ha. Good timber load I bet! :) I really like this Wby ULWT, I'm having a Trigger Tech Special put in and the guard screws changed out to Hex heads. Its already been skim/lug bedded/floated. Its a keeper! 6 3/4 # with its 2.5x8!

I got some QL data of 63+K with 64.3gr R17 for a tad over 3000fps. I have to load to 3.33 to work through my Wby's magazine. I'm not sure I can get that much in my case, I will check it out tomorrow, report back.

Rev Jim, any new info on H4895 with your 338-06? Also Pillpeddlar have you used H380 in 200 grain hammers or cup and core bullets?

I was just going to make up a dummy round. My rifle is at the Smith's for hex head action screws and a Trigger Tech Special. May be awhile before I get to shoot, but I will try and clock the loads when I do.

I put a fired primer in a new Winchester case necked up to 338 ( I didnt even try the Lapua) and seated a 175 HH to 3.33" over 64.3gr R17...lightly compressed! Who would of figured, ha Not saying my rifle would like it, but I gotta try it now...:)

I'm going to load some of the above and shoot them tomorrow/ Will let you guys know some details. Right now I can't get my chrono set up, just taking a SWAG on speed. :)

Here is what QL comes up with using IMR-3031. Looks like the only problem using 3031 is the lack of case capacity. 338-06 - 1.JPG338-06 -2.JPG

Back