A sad day today.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last time it happened to me I was lucky - not only did I catch the failure before everything thawed, but it was winter so I was able to put the contents into coolers and store outside.

I realize this suggestion is of little help at the moment, but going forward, or as a reminder for to others, high/low temp alarms are standard in most every commercial application I have seen.

Just throwing it out there - hopefully someone can save themselves from a similar fate 😳

https://a.co/d/aV2Pjuh

Last edited:
Ya I was thinking about something like that but never got around to it. Have to get one with the next freezer.

Also had a power outage over the winter due to a lightning strike. While we were away in vacation. This freezer survived the strike while all the other kitchen appliances did not. Meat stayed cold enough to save even though the power was out for several days.
6 months later she’s gone belly up. The only thing that was still in there from the last outage was the half deer. The 4 turkeys we killed this spring. They were our years supply.

Luckily archery deer opener is this Saturday. Hopefully I can put one down quickly to make up for the loss.

Gday
That sucks bigtime 🥲

Great idea handskills thanks I’ll look into those

Cheers

Ya, freezer quitting is never a good thing.

The new 'smart' alarms are wifi and will send a notification to your phone, if you are into that sort of thing.

Some years ago, a good friend of mine informed me that he had to throw out the brains I had stored in his freezer. I had saved them for a forthcoming tanning project... I guess the freezer had been had been dead a while before he found it - according to him, the brains in particular caused him to loose ALL the contents of his stomach during the clean-up. 🤢🤮!!!

I should clarify, it was a large chest freezer, basically full meat - with 2 or 3 baseball sized (well they were baseball sized when I froze them 🤪) chunks of grey matter in Ziploc bags. Just enough for it to be 'my' fault that he got sick. A little humor sometimes softens the despair...

Glad to hear the archery season is around the corner for ya @MeatBuck - wishing you good luck and success replenishing some of that good healthy protein!

Last edited:
Knock on wood, ok so far. Son lost chest freezer with his first muley buck he killed last fall. Luckily it didn't run out onto garage floor. Just nasty soupy goop stewing in bottom.

PSA - DON'T pour peroxide into this mess thinking it will "kill" the odor. I had friend that did that and the foam volcano was impressive.

This happened to me years ago....it sucks. I now own 4 different freezers so I keep my meat dispersed so If I lose one, I won't lose all my meant. I also have room to move meat if I catch it in time. When it happened to me years ago, even had I caught it soon enough....I would have been screwed as I had nowhere to put all the meat.

I have two freezers just in case one goes out
I’ve got three… I had three. 😑
Unfortunately that doesn’t matter if you don’t check em regular or have a beeper.

We pulled a pack of burger out of the door there for dinner about two weeks ago. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Way she goes.

Had a full chest freezer get unplugged accidentally. Didn't find it until the smell found us. Ended up plugging it back in to refreeze the "soup". I then called for a small roll-off dumpster, gorilla taped the snot out of the lid, shoved it in the swing door, and covered everything with whatever junk we could find. Lol.

Update.
New freezer. Thanks to mom and sisters Christmas generosity.
Cheap Costco Hamilton beach unit but the drawers fit a whole blacktail perfectly.
🤞🏻on this one. Put it inside man room next to the meat fridge so hopefully i catch the next failure sooner.
Temp Beeper/alarm yet to be had.
IMG_6325.jpegIMG_6330.jpeg

Back