Barrel cleaning regularity?

Gday
Ok fellas I’m @ let’s look @ the basics of what you need to achieve in the field to achieve the results you achieve
Eg
I don’t see the point of having a 1/4 or 1/2 Moa load when all your shooting is 300 yard & in ( while it’s nice it’s not necessary) & your shooting a critter with a 12 in vital zone
So you can get away with a 1 Moa load easily & that’s my general ability to 2 Moa under most field conditions anyway yep no bughole guy here

Now cleaning comes in to this equation in the way I look @ things exactly the same as above
So why bother if you can still place your shot within 1/2 the vital size of the chosen critter @ your range
Yep I like simple & ask Joe how lack lustre I am on cleaning especially my rum ( I’m also scared to clean my rum ) we didn’t clean a rifle while rusty & joe were here & still haven’t 😱

That rum is pushing close to 7 k rounds down the tube now & I haven’t cleaned it for around 1k & yet with the hht I tested it’s still produced a 1/2 Moa on the only paper test I did , so can I replicate it 🤷‍♂️probably not !!! but I have not failed to impact 3 in vitals To 300 With consistency that as long as I squeeze off correctly it’s a dead critter

So I’m in the camp with all respect to those above & others not posted you lot are cleaning way to often with hammers ( c&c & other brands I never had this luxury) now also I’d say I’m @ the extreme & just want to know when accuracy is truely effected that is actually detrimental to our field results so my new 6.5 won’t be cleaned from day dot till day it goes south also
My rum is going to be interesting on when it finally pops but for now it’s still going as good as the day I got it , except the actions that’s like me lol

Moving forward how about one or more of you bughole shooters do a little test to help us all see where accuracy is effected to a detrimental effect
Maybe double your usual cleaning practices & show us the results & let’s go forward from there & then chew it over

Once again no offence intended to anyone just trying to find out a little more of how hammers are different to what was once used

Cheers

Muddy

Help me out a little bit on this one big guy. Define. CLEAN

Spotless clean?

Is this the same thing as clean enough? If it means that it must be clean of all previous copper fouling then yes I totally agree.

And I do too wholeheartedly respect everybody's opinion on this forum.

I love this place.
Yes, but only for a .270....😉

Gday
Ok fellas I’m @ let’s look @ the basics of what you need to achieve in the field to achieve the results you achieve
Eg
I don’t see the point of having a 1/4 or 1/2 Moa load when all your shooting is 300 yard & in ( while it’s nice it’s not necessary) & your shooting a critter with a 12 in vital zone
So you can get away with a 1 Moa load easily & that’s my general ability to 2 Moa under most field conditions anyway yep no bughole guy here

Now cleaning comes in to this equation in the way I look @ things exactly the same as above
So why bother if you can still place your shot within 1/2 the vital size of the chosen critter @ your range
Yep I like simple & ask Joe how lack lustre I am on cleaning especially my rum ( I’m also scared to clean my rum ) we didn’t clean a rifle while rusty & joe were here & still haven’t 😱

That rum is pushing close to 7 k rounds down the tube now & I haven’t cleaned it for around 1k & yet with the hht I tested it’s still produced a 1/2 Moa on the only paper test I did , so can I replicate it 🤷‍♂️probably not !!! but I have not failed to impact 3 in vitals To 300 With consistency that as long as I squeeze off correctly it’s a dead critter

So I’m in the camp with all respect to those above & others not posted you lot are cleaning way to often with hammers ( c&c & other brands I never had this luxury) now also I’d say I’m @ the extreme & just want to know when accuracy is truely effected that is actually detrimental to our field results so my new 6.5 won’t be cleaned from day dot till day it goes south also
My rum is going to be interesting on when it finally pops but for now it’s still going as good as the day I got it , except the actions that’s like me lol

Moving forward how about one or more of you bughole shooters do a little test to help us all see where accuracy is effected to a detrimental effect
Maybe double your usual cleaning practices & show us the results & let’s go forward from there & then chew it over

Once again no offence intended to anyone just trying to find out a little more of how hammers are different to what was once used

Cheers
None taken. My truck runs great dirty. I like clean trucks. Both seem to run the same. Both can't pass a gas station though clean or dirty.

I’ll clean every 50 to 100 rounds or when accuracy goes away, years ago I wanted to see if it really made a difference so I stopped cleaning altogether, I had 500 plus rounds through my 308 before I started feeling guilty and cleaned it.
All I shoot now is Hammers so cleaning is EZPZ when I do, CLR and done.
Now with that being said it’s totally personal preference

That rum is pushing close to 7 k rounds down the tube now & I haven’t cleaned it for around 1k & yet with the hht I tested it’s still produced a 1/2 Moa on the only paper test I did
GDay farleg,

I do love all of your extreme testing! That rifle would be an interesting one to borescope. Especially before and after cleaning. I'd also be interested to see if there were any pressure differences in your loads after cleaning. I know you like to run max pressure, so could your load take a little more powder after cleaning?

( I’m also scared to clean my rum )
Are you scared there is no rifling left? Maybe the carbon and copper buildup is your new rifling? Or maybe the carbon and copper buildup doesn't allow the bullet to touch steel anymore. Maybe that rifling is still pristine under the build up haha. You have my curiosity now.

kneedeep

My grandpa was an amourer in WW I. I've been cleaning guns as long as I remember. My routine is what I call a basic clean after each shooting session. I still like to not only clean the bore, but go over the whole gun. I have found Hammer bullets don't leave much fouling.

GDay farleg,

I do love all of your extreme testing! That rifle would be an interesting one to borescope. Especially before and after cleaning. I'd also be interested to see if there were any pressure differences in your loads after cleaning. I know you like to run max pressure, so could your load take a little more powder after cleaning?

Are you scared there is no rifling left? Maybe the carbon and copper buildup is your new rifling? Or maybe the carbon and copper buildup doesn't allow the bullet to touch steel anymore. Maybe that rifling is still pristine under the build up haha. You have my curiosity now.

kneedeep
I wouldn't be surprised if the fouling is all that's holding the barrel together😁😆🤣.
When he's done with that barrel it would make an interesting science project!!!!

Gday
Eg

Cheers
Farleg,
The difference between you and me is, I'm lucky to shoot one or two animals a year while it sounds like you shoot that many every day. :oops:

So my accuracy standards have pretty much settled on wanting .5 MOA since that's the "paper vitals" for me and my shooting.
I wish I could shoot a fraction of the animals you do, and then I too would probably stop worrying so much about MOA and cleaning.
Some of us have boring lives, compared to other lucky souls.
Cheers

Farleg,
The difference between you and me is, I'm lucky to shoot one or two animals a year while it sounds like you shoot that many a day.
Some of us have boring lives, compared to other lucky souls.
Cheers
What we call lucky is a job for farleg. I saw where you have to ride the paddocks no less than three to four nights a week and shoot everything on your side of the fence just to stay ahead of the wallaby.

What amazed me was the sparkle in that demented soul's eyes 5*

It's an actual job and to think he's been doing it for the last 35 years day in and day out🤷

I clean when accuracy becomes unacceptable to me. That's a loaded statement, right! If I developed a load that shoots bugholes at 200yds, I'm still happy at 3/4". At 1" groups I'm cleaning, but not down to parent metal. I've not shot many Hammers yet. All my previous monometal experience has been with CEB. The 2% leaded brass Raptors need very little cleaning. I have around 1200 through each of 3 DGRs and they still shoot far better than is required of a 375, 416, or 458. 300rnds through a 500 Jeffery and I couldn't ask for better. The jury is still out on my 338RUM. I've been shooting 225gr Maximus through it after a Final Finish kit from Tubbs. I'm at 200rnds and no noticeable fouling. I've been coating all my copper monos with boron nitride and recently started coating the Raptors. BN definitely reduces copper fouling to almost nil.
Your mileage may vary.

In the majority, I agree with both above. I haven't shot cup & core for several years and cast in many years. BP almost never.
Hammers foul so little I usually clean every 50 or so - mainly for the carbon ring/fouling. I've tested this. Went way over 100 to see what happened. Carbon was a bugger to get out!
I've tried all the "super cleaners". Guess they work fine. Wipe out works fine. I just keep going back to tried and true. Kroil, good solvent (TM or Butches), brass brushes and patches. Occasionally i run JB bore paste to clean out stubborn carbon. I'm an old bench rest shooter. It's hard to change old ways. I'm used to cleaning every 7-10 shots😀. Going to 50 drives me nuts!
Bought a bottle of graphite. Haven't used it yet to see what it does.
I have switched to wipe out, and the Accelerator. I watched a You tube video, with Speedy Gonzalez awhile back. I tried it, it works amazing. Everybody has their own methods, and snake oils, but that method works for me. I'm a proponent of believing that more harm is done by cleaning, then by bullets. Bore scope is a handy tool.

I have switched to wipe out, and the Accelerator. I watched a You tube video, with Speedy Gonzalez awhile back. I tried it, it works amazing. Everybody has their own methods, and snake oils, but that method works for me. I'm a proponent of believing that more harm is done by cleaning, then by bullets. Bore scope is a handy tool.
I watched the same video. Hopefully your Wipeout products don't ruin your bore in 40 minutes like they did mine. Then have the Wipeout owner lie aplenty after that happens, even after reviewing the borescope pictures of total corrosion, and tell you to get a good attorney to sue him for any relief.

Back