Barrel cleaning regularity?

I have a friend who shoots a CZ .223, and, AFAIK, has never cleaned with anything other than a boresnake, and he still hits prairie dogs at 400 yards.

I clean more often but am probably overdoing it.

I have used most of the bore cleaners. I just think it is important to get the bore clean, not spotless. I'm a strong believer in breaking a new barrel in. I think that is much more important. Try to keep barrel heat down when out shooting. I stick with Hoppe's products now. They have proved to be effective and safe. Check out my Avatar, Hoppe's keeps my good old 1883 Rolling block shooting well! I know of several guys who have ruined barrels with harsh cleaners.

I watched the same video. Hopefully your Wipeout products don't ruin your bore in 40 minutes like they did mine. Then have the Wipeout owner lie aplenty after that happens, even after reviewing the borescope pictures of total corrosion, and tell you to get a good attorney to sue him for any relief.
Can you tell me a little of what happened to your barrel. I've been using it for about a year, and so far, so good. I'm really concerned and curious. 😳

Can you tell me a little of what happened to your barrel. I've been using it for about a year, and so far, so good. I'm really concerned and curious. 😳
Something went bad with the Accelerator while siting on shelf. It turned into an acid. I researched the web and found this can happen periodically. One account was a gunsmith had several barrels ate up back in 2013. I have a more detailed account of the incident posted on here somewhere.

Something went bad with the Accelerator while siting on shelf. It turned into an acid. I researched the web and found this can happen periodically. One account was a gunsmith had several barrels ate up back in 2013. I have a more detailed account of the incident posted on here somewhere.
The bottles I have are fresh, and I keep it moving. First in jag in the Accelerator , let it sit for a short minute, then run the wipe out in, and keep pushing it till the color lightens. Then I neutralize all of it with Kroil, or Seafoam. I let the later remain in the bore if I'm done shooting, or storing.
If I'm still shooting, I dry patch just before taking a shot. Sometimes, poi doesn't change.

Ps, I take your accounts very serious. It's got my attention for sure. Maybe I'll go back to Bore Tec.
Previous post:

"After I got back from the range I let wipeout accelerator sit in the bore and it rapidly ate the barrel like I poured acid in it. 45min it was toast. $1200 barrel ruined by Wipeout products. The owner of Wipeout denied that the accelerator could hurt barrel steel. He rattled on about everything else in the world that caused the issue, but maintained the accelerator could never hurt steel. When the charlatan stated I was the first person to ever have a problem with Wipeout accelerator, I caught him in a flat out lie. I had researched the issue and found this occurred in the barrels of a gunsmith that had 7 barrels ruined. When I reminded him of that incident his reply was, "What, are you looking to win the lottery?" I replied "absolutely not trying to win anything, I just lost a ton of money by using your product." His next response was I would have to hire a good attorney and sue him. Yeah, absolute dirtbag.

Juxtapose this company treatment with Benchmark Barrels...Benchmark absolutely wanted my barrel sent in to them for analysis. The rep said they certainly want to know if their steel was at fault and are all about keeping their quality control on point. They conducted the analysis and stated they didn't find anything bad with the steel, but said they will send me a new 7mm blank! Man, can't get any better than that!"

Previous post:

"After I got back from the range I let wipeout accelerator sit in the bore and it rapidly ate the barrel like I poured acid in it. 45min it was toast. $1200 barrel ruined by Wipeout products. The owner of Wipeout denied that the accelerator could hurt barrel steel. He rattled on about everything else in the world that caused the issue, but maintained the accelerator could never hurt steel. When the charlatan stated I was the first person to ever have a problem with Wipeout accelerator, I caught him in a flat out lie. I had researched the issue and found this occurred in the barrels of a gunsmith that had 7 barrels ruined. When I reminded him of that incident his reply was, "What, are you looking to win the lottery?" I replied "absolutely not trying to win anything, I just lost a ton of money by using your product." His next response was I would have to hire a good attorney and sue him. Yeah, absolute dirtbag.

Juxtapose this company treatment with Benchmark Barrels...Benchmark absolutely wanted my barrel sent in to them for analysis. The rep said they certainly want to know if their steel was at fault and are all about keeping their quality control on point. They conducted the analysis and stated they didn't find anything bad with the steel, but said they will send me a new 7mm blank! Man, can't get any better than that!"
The first part of you statement is scary, to say the least, but the second part was enlightening, and Kudos to Benchmark Barrels.
As I've been using it, neither one of the agents stay in the bore long enough to attack it, and I am ANAL about what comes out in and on the patches, and I always neutralize after anything has been in the bore, that could remotely damage it. Really sorry for your experience, but at least you got a reasonable outcome. Again, Kudos to Benchmark.

Ive let Wipe Out and the Accelerator sit in my barrel for days and never have had one problem.
Me too. It wasn't a problem until it was a problem. When it became a problem, the Wipeout owner acted like a pure dishonorable sham artist.
When I spoke to Benchmark and Iosso about the matter, they both asked the same question, "He didn't even ask to receive the bottle of Accelerator and investigate?" That is what a standup company does. Benchmark did it with no quams whatsoever. Iosso stated product return for analysis would be the first step they would do.

So, not every bottle of Wipeout products will do this, but there is the potential. Use with caution. Thorroclean is a million times better at cleaning and safe.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to have read all these posts. I recently started using Wipe-Out foaming "brushless" bore cleaner and had never heard about any issues. I haven't had any worry about my stainless barrels and that's what I purchased the product for, but the claims on the packaging don't make sense to me either. Claiming that it has no acid or ammonia just doesn't ring true to me. It smells like ammonia. The product is water based so it must have a corrosive nature to it when in contact with carbon steel and oxygen. That said, it has performed well for me. But I have no intention to and would never use it on non stainless metals even though it claims to be "Safe For" carbon steel.
As far as frequency of cleaning goes. I recently purchased a borescope on Amazon to make an assessment of the condition of one of my guns and find it a great investment and tool for determining the need to clean or not to clean my gun/s. It can also be used to determine the condition of a barrel and chamber before making a purchase.
I feel that a fouled barrel will perform more consistently but not better than a clean barrel. If that makes sense. A clean chamber and throat are critical to performance. Velocity will vary more dramatically at first as friction increases with fouling and velocities will become more consistent as the fouling increases. Fouling also diminishes the effects of inclusions in the barrel. I think of the bands on the Hammers like compression rings on a piston. They form a seal but reduce the total surface area in contact with the barrel. Friction diminishes velocity so I tend to like a cleaner barrel.
Adding a bore scope to your set of tools can help you make sensible decisions about frequency of cleaning.
My method of deep cleaning (on stainless barrels) is to install Wipe-Out for 10 min then clean using Kroil and J-B polish. Clean all residues with Crud Buster and compressed air, then a final light wipe and clean with patches and Kroil.
Occasional cleaning between deep cleans with bronze brush, Kroil, patches and bore snake. That leaves a lightly fouled barrel and produces my more consistent performance though not as accurate or fast as a virgin clean barrel.
These are just my opinions and are subject to change as I learn from others and my own mistakes.
Thanks to all your posts. I have found this and other threads very helpful.
Cheers.

I'm pleased to have read all these posts. I recently started using Wipe-Out foaming "brushless" bore cleaner and had never heard about any issues. I haven't had any worry about my stainless barrels and that's what I purchased the product for, but the claims on the packaging don't make sense to me either. Claiming that it has no acid or ammonia just doesn't ring true to me. It smells like ammonia. The product is water based so it must have a corrosive nature to it when in contact with carbon steel and oxygen. That said, it has performed well for me. But I have no intention to and would never use it on non stainless metals even though it claims to be "Safe For" carbon steel.
As far as frequency of cleaning goes. I recently purchased a borescope on Amazon to make an assessment of the condition of one of my guns and find it a great investment and tool for determining the need to clean or not to clean my gun/s. It can also be used to determine the condition of a barrel and chamber before making a purchase.
I feel that a fouled barrel will perform more consistently but not better than a clean barrel. If that makes sense. A clean chamber and throat are critical to performance. Velocity will vary more dramatically at first as friction increases with fouling and velocities will become more consistent as the fouling increases. Fouling also diminishes the effects of inclusions in the barrel. I think of the bands on the Hammers like compression rings on a piston. They form a seal but reduce the total surface area in contact with the barrel. Friction diminishes velocity so I tend to like a cleaner barrel.
Adding a bore scope to your set of tools can help you make sensible decisions about frequency of cleaning.
My method of deep cleaning (on stainless barrels) is to install Wipe-Out for 10 min then clean using Kroil and J-B polish. Clean all residues with Crud Buster and compressed air, then a final light wipe and clean with patches and Kroil.
Occasional cleaning between deep cleans with bronze brush, Kroil, patches and bore snake. That leaves a lightly fouled barrel and produces my more consistent performance though not as accurate or fast as a virgin clean barrel.
These are just my opinions and are subject to change as I learn from others and my own mistakes.
Thanks to all your posts. I have found this and other threads very helpful.
Cheers.
Well thought, and well worded.

Great information gents.
I don't have a bore scope so I have to rely on patch color. I noticed a huge difference in the accuracy of one of my rifles when I gave it a really heavy cleaning but others not so much.
I thought the borescopes were really expensive till I looked them up on amazon. I ended up with one with a 5" screen monitor on sale for $140 cdn. before tax. They had it at my door in about 8 hours. I have a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver that cost me more than that almost 25 years ago. The quality seems fine and it's worked perfectly. I've used it for checking out heat exchangers at work too.
I'm not saying you should get one if you don't need it. I'm just pointing out the price is not what I thought it was going to be and the quality for price is great in my opinion.
Cheers.

I feel that a fouled barrel will perform more consistently but not better than a clean barrel.
1000yd Benchrest champ told me "fouling" is a misnomer. He stated, a barrel needs a degree of copper/carbon to facilitate the lubricity of the bullet down the barrel. It only becomes "fouling" when it builds up too much, and too much of anything is bad. (Except too much money, or too pretty of woman) Barrels have a "window of precision" in regards to the "fouling". This can be different for each gun, but generally a competition bore can go a couple hundred rounds before precision decline can be detected.

Now, how does that apply to hunting guns that don't get the volume of rounds down the tube? Hunting guns should be cleaned with more frequency than the competition rigs as hunting guns see more inclimate weather/water conditions, and sit with fouling in the bores longer than high volume shooting stainless competition bores. Simply stated, they just don't get used as much.
So, I think one needs to maintain the same conditions of the hunting bore making a much narrower "window". That is, cleaned to bare metal, with a few rounds down the tube to lay down that lubricity and confirm zero for the season. Then there is maybe 1-4 rounds fired at most during the entire hunting season? Then it's back to bare metal clean with a preservative in the bore till the next season/year rolls around, rinse & repeat the steps above.
A clean chamber and throat are critical to performance. Velocity will vary more dramatically at first as friction increases with fouling and velocities will become more consistent as the fouling increases. Fouling also diminishes the effects of inclusions in the barrel. I think of the bands on the Hammers like compression rings on a piston. They form a seal but reduce the total surface area in contact with the barrel. Friction diminishes velocity so I tend to like a cleaner barrel.
Yup, I think we are on the same sheet of music here. In regards to the chamber, keeping the carbon ring down or gone lets the case neck sit concentric to the chamber.

Gday guys

Ok let’s sort this out lol
1700 rounds ticked over now & no internal barrel clean & believe it I did clean the outside sometime ago & I used sweets as man alive some crap was hard to get off the muzzle did get a bit of attention but nothing internal
567E0F31-93D8-4CF7-AA26-75AB101A1324.jpeg
yep you lot worry to much 😜

remember this group
193965AA-5B10-4E0C-90C4-F138F10D9A0B.jpeg

I know get back in my hole 🤣🤣
Cheers

Back