Berara B-14 hunter in 270 win.

still huntin

Went and bought a new Bergara b-14 hunter model rifle in 270 win. yesterday. Been reading up on them and went and handled one and was impressed with the fit and finish for the price range and the bolt action of that rifle is beautifully smooth. the metal fit and finish and machining quality were way above it's pay grade too and it has simple clean lines which I like. the 24" barrel should be good enough for some good velocity, now I'm fixing to order a meopta optika5 3-15x44 and a scope rail as well as dies and bras etc. just excited and needed to tell somebody, lol.

the meopta scope and egw HD scope rail came today, the triggertech primary trigger is in economy shipping from optics planet so no telling when that comes. oh yeah the brass and also the redding dies came too, competition bullet seating die, have 3 of them now.

I am anxiously waiting on your results. A buddy of mine is looking into buying that rifle. He has picked one up at the local gun store well the one in Georgia where we hunt and he likes the way it feels and looks. I'd like to get some real world input and see how they shoot.

This place is awesome!

Joe

Joe16, I havent done anything with it yet except worked its wonderfully smooth action. In the process of getting things together, dies, brass bullets, scope rail, scope, etc etc. triggertech primary trigger, Ill keep yall informed on the progress.

I think they have a detachable mag kit for this rifle but am thinking the trigger gaurd etc is fiberglass reinforced polymer and am not sure what type of mag it takes. from a picture it didnt look like an aics type. I may get the gun out and do some measuring

Joe, no I aint smart enough to do pics, it always gave me the fits. getting ready to mount the pic rail in a few minutes. maybe when I get it all set up with the scope mounted etc. Ill take a pic with my trusty flip phone and can send it to ya and you can post it on here. am waiting for a set of TPS low rings also, had a set of mediums and they felt a tad high on this gun.

looked into getting the detachable mag kit but no one has it in stock, and then some guys on bergara helped me out and said I can open the bottom of my magazine and turn the gun over and drop the rounds in that way, they said it was easily done. my thumb and fingers are too weak to load thru the top, tried it yesterday, that mag spring is stiff.

yeah, I have a rare nerve disease that messed up the lower legs and forearms and hand strenth, basically nerve damage that then atrophyed the muscles over time its called CIDP but life is still good, just cant walk but maybe 250 yds max to sit for deer but we have plenty of spots like that on bean fields and such. started with the rifle 2 years ago when they legalized this county for the rifles, and started out with the ruger american 6.5cm and now this 270 bergara. havent shot it yet, I still am waiting on tps rings and bullets 110hh and need to degrease these new dies etc. its good to have this to stay occupied with something. I called my dad up and said I may or may not have bought a new rifle and he is as excited as I am. he is an old school hunter, 85 yrs old now retired air force lt. col. he loves a rifle.

making baby steps, installed a trigger tech primary trigger in the gun a couple days ago and adjusted it down around 2 lbs. got to look in the stock when I had the action off to see what I am dealing with in case I need to do a little bedding if it is needed. the tps low rings showed up yesterday and will be putting the scope on there. steadily getting the reloading tools together as the 270 is new for me. there 2 other guys in the wifes family tree that we hunt with and they use 270's and am going to try to load them up some hammers also this year, 110hh for now.

The Bergara is a great bit of gear for the money, I have 5 or 6 mates with b14s in various options in cartridges from 243 to 300 win and they’re all very accurate and every owner is extremely happy with the purchase.

I asked bergara for mag lengths a while ago and according to them the long actions are:
  • floor plate 93.5mm
  • Detachable 92.5mm
I hope your 270 works out nicely for you

thanks for the reply TJA500, am real happy with the quality and fit and finish as well as the action smoothness. havent shot it quite yet but will very soon. loaded 4 rounds in through the bottom trap door by turning the gun upside down and there was alot of room for cartridge length beyond my bullet tips. its definitely not gonna be a length problem. very happy with cartridge feeding too. will report back with results when the the shooting progresses.

Back