Eat your heart out!

I'm already on record for calling you lot velocity freaks.
When you have a bullet with low engraving resistance; great sealing properties in the bore; precision made; and mono construction, why not go for as much velocity as possible? I don't think we are freaks, we are just taking advantage of what is a new paradigm of bullets. Twenty five years ago, I thought 3,000 fps was fast. I never dreamed that I would hit that number with a .458 caliber bullet. I was happy with 2,000 fps in my 45/70. Yep, I have run 3 pills over 3,000 fps in my 45/90 with the 250 grain Hammer. I've settled on an accurate load of just over 2,750 with the 276 grain Shock Hammer. It gives me a max PBR of 396 yards! Speed solves a lot of problems! I need to head for work, but it is amazing the low recoil of the 124 grain 30 cal Hammer Hunter at 4200 fps out of the 300 RUM. It makes for just plain fun shooting! I not only feel the need for speed, but I enjoy it!

No, nothing against Y'all trying to break the limits or better your last build.

If I called an Aussie shooter a velocity freak or car person a petrol head etc he would know it's in jest. Sometimes we call our mates stupid things or just refer to them with terms you might even use in vain under different circumstances.

I used the term "Blaser Nuts" on another forum and the Blaser R8 users were possibly offended, mostly the Yanks but it wasn't intended to be offensive.

I'm impressed that I shot a tight little group group from my Tikka .308 with a sporter barrel using 124gm Hammers. Disclaimer it is an aftermarket barrel fitted by a good gunsmith.

I would possibly chase velocity for fun if I had more time and money to commit but for now I shoot at a club for fun and look for accurate loads that provide dead right there performance when I get out to hunt or shoot pests.

I like to see pigs drop to the shot and move on to the next one so I don't miss an opportunity. With an accurate load and an effective projectile.

The numbers I'm chasing are just dead pests. That's what I find satisfying but I'm set on getting a .260rem to learn more about long range and ballistics in general.

CBH - I'm not sure how many Barnes bullet shooters we have around here. Barnes for years tried to solve the friction issue. I think Barnes has gotten close. They even used a blue coating for awhile. If you overloaded a standard Barnes even a little, 3 shots and you could fry an egg on your barrel because it got so hot from friction. I'm not so different than you. For hunting this year despite all the noise around here, I will be hunting deer with the 118 gr HHT in the 6.5 Creedmoor. If I was a true speed freak, I would drop down to the 80 or 85 grain. I still have a couple of powders to try to settle on my final load. That load will be based more on accuracy than ultimate speed.

Back