Hammer .35 Whelen data

Ought 6

Hammer Time Executive member
Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, and you all know I am new to these bullets. But I have to say the .35 Whelen load data here is puzzling to me. I've worked up starting loads for 4 cartridges using the data on this website, a couple of other sources and my own experience. .308, 338-06AI and .338WM were all fairly straight forward, I could look at the data here and compare with loads I have worked up with other bullets and make some sense of it as far as powder selection starting loads and the listed max loads. With the .35 Whelen data here, not at all with bullets in the 250gr weight class. What happened to the need for speed LOL? Nothing over 2500 fps listed. I have Whelen loads pushing 2700 fps with 250gr bullets with no issues and great accuracy. Powder choices here are very different from what works for me with other 250gr bullets in the Whelen. Also some very short C.O.A.L.s were used with heavy bullets. Why please!

Last edited:
I haven't played with this heavy bullet in my new 35 Wheeling but from looking at the data I would start with IMR 4895 and when (if) you run out of case room I would switch to imr4198. Reloader 7 would also be a powder that might be worth giving a try.

Joe

I really want to work with IMR4895 but don't have any on hand and everyone is out of stock right now.

I am working up loads for the 35 Whelen using A2000-MR and CFE223 with the 245gr Shock Hammer. My starting load with 2000-MR was 61gr, 2602 fps. With CFE223 59 gr, 2591 fps. COL of 3.250 for both. Norma brass, WLRM primers. Zero pressure signs with either, I'll be surprised if I don't get over 2700 fps with the 2000-MR. In my experience with other bullets in the 35 Whelen 2000-MR ends up being the better choice with heavier bullets. CFE 223 is better below 225 gr.

Just for comparison, and this is what caught my eye. My starting load with the 250 gr Norma ORYX was 61.5 gr of 2000-MR for 2472 fps. 250 gr Speer Hot-Cor 59 gr of CFE 223 at 2449 fps. So around 150 fps more from the Hammer bullet vs the traditional bullets with the same components and powder charges. My final loads with the Oryx and Hot-Cor both ended up in the mid 2600s. I was able to push to 2700 fps with 2000-MR but backed off a bit for my final loads.

Last edited:
Here it is my first DONE load with Hammer bullets. Just because this load didn't blow me up doesn't mean it won't blow you up bla disclaimer bla.

35 Whelen
245gr Shock Hammer
64.3gr Alliant 2000-MR (slightly compressed)
COL 3.305
Norma 35 Whelen brass
WLRM primers
Light crimp (1/4 turn)

25in barrel - 1/14 twist

15 shots 2684 fps average, velocity deviation 12fps

The pic shows 2 100yd four shot groups.

My brass looks great, no pressure signs.

I worked up to a load that was 2724 fps but decided my final answer is the one I posted here because it was the most consistent and accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_091728_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_091728_Gallery.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 11
I ordered .358 bullets yesterday. I've got a nice quantity of 140's and 200's coming as well as some sample packs of the others. What was missing is an HHT! It sure would be nice to have at least an HHT in around the 180 grain range.

I ordered .358 bullets yesterday. I've got a nice quantity of 140's and 200's coming as well as some sample packs of the others. What was missing is an HHT! It sure would be nice to have at least an HHT in around the 180 grain range.
Les, I'll be trying those same bullets in a 358 norma mag when the barrel gets finished. Can't wait!
180-185hht👍

Daggum sweet! That Norma brass looks like same primer pocket design as Peterson.
With my experience, albeit not in the calibers, case bases on the norma is softer than petersons. Need a few more firings on the Normas to see how primer pockets actually hold up(good so far).

Come on Uncle Carl, tell us a 35 Whelan story...

😉🤗🤣🤣
Once upon a time....Nah statute of limitations on that one may still be in play.

OK-Baby brother had a 7mm Remington mag. He struggled with the learning curve a bit. One of those was kind of my fault, I decided to let him figure stuff out on his own, rather than my experience.

He shot a bear one year, and had a bullet failure from all indications. Sad part was/is I should have handed him my .375.

Next year he gets off the plane, and we hand him a .35 Whelen. A friend and his son took him to the hunt area to check and replenish bait.

He packed the .35, plus a sack of bait, friend packed 2, kid jabbering non stop, hotter than a firecracker, all self respecting bear laying in the creek one would think. Zero effort to be covert.

As they round the last corner, somebody says loudly look a bear. Not picking a spot just went center mass with 250 grain core-loct, and bear piles in its tracks.

The scenario was a bit odd, bear never reacted to human presence. On inspection, it was a very old bear. No teeth likely blind from cataracts, deaf from mites in the ears. Probably had been living off a campground a few miles away, but it closed for season. Seemed to be making a go of it. Backtracked it a bit, and it was finding mushrooms by scent, and old logs by braille.

The Whelen in the correct platform is one of the finest N/A game cartridges. Perfect balance for the bullets of its age.

Of course not one to leave well enough alone, If 245o fps is good over 3000 has to be better. The .358 AI replaced it.

Back