Hammer .35 Whelen data

I shot Tac today with the 178s. All loads were crimped in the top Valley using a 1/2 FCD. I started at 58 grains and worked my way through more bullets than I wanted to and got to a compressed load of 69 grains with a muzzle velocity of 3252. Cases would still rechamber, I had simply run out of room. I loaded up four more to check for accuracy. After a scope adjustment on the first round I fired a three round group that was the prettiest little triangle you ever seen. One or two more times across the bench and this should be the load that I will shoot in this rifle.

Unless Hodgdens 335 produces higher velocities.😊

I also shot the 140 shock hammer with n120. I started at 58 grains and made it all the way to 63 with no pressure signs and a velocity of 3527. The huge muzzle blast and Flash that accompanied AA1680 was not present with this powder So I loaded up two more to check for groups and it shot like Poo poo. That helped in making the decision for shooting the 178s that much easier.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Thanks Joe! I continue to learn. Most load data for the 35 Whelen is pretty tame. However, the SAMMI specs are right up there with the other 30/06 class rounds. SAMMI specs are 62,000 PSI or 52,000 CUP. I think the powder companies are worried about the old conversions from the 1920's. For my hunting needs, I have pretty much settled on the 200 grain Shock Hammer. I will try to get out this week to play with the 140's a little more.

Back